The Student Room Group

Should homework be reformed

I was thinking back to my childhood last night and the thought about homework came in to my head. I can see the point of say in maths a sheet of problems that relate to the topic you're doing that week, or finishing up a science write up but a lot of homework just seemed like "busy work" .I mean things like copying out a page of a book how was that meant to help me in the future?

So my question is should homework be reformed?
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jonathanemptage
I was thinking back to my childhood last night and the thought about homework came in to my head I can see the point of say inmates a sheet of problems that relate to the topic you're doing that week or finishing up a science write up but a lot of homework just seemed like "busy work" I mean things like copying out a page of a book how was that meant to help me in the future?

I think a more important question is do you know how to use punctuation?
Original post by DrawTheLine

Apologies on his behalf, never knew this was a thread where you’re required to use grammar and punctuation.

With that post the OP has answered his own question.

Original post by seriouslygcse
Apologies on his behalf, never knew this was a thread where you’re required to use grammar and punctuation.

You do indeed need to be able to use it, while also being able to paragraph (not an issue here). Masses of unpunctuated words are a turn off for others viewing the thread.
(edited 6 years ago)

happy now
I was thinking back to my childhood last night and the thought about homework came in to my head. I can see the point of say in maths a sheet of problems that relate to the topic you're doing that week, or finishing up a science write up but a lot of homework just seemed like "busy work" .I mean things like copying out a page of a book how was that meant to help me in the future?

Who cares?
happy now

Yes, because now your thread is actually readable. If you want people to reply or comment, you need to make your initial post easy to read, or people will just click away to read something better.
I think it’s gone too far the other with young children, in primary they are given five pieces a week! I only used to get one a week.
No. It should be scrapped entirely. Not every student has a home life conducive to home study. I know mine certainly wasn't.
Reply 9
Yes it should be scrapped and through out because now a day student simply copy from internet and it’s just cnrt+c& v so the style should be change instead of homework is removed the pattern is to be change needed..
Don't think there needs to be any great reform. Some pieces of homework can be silly and an utter waste of time but that's not the majority of the time.

As to copying, I don't know about anyone else, but my teachers would scrutinise people's work for plagiarism - one time I was accused of just that (although I honestly hadn't) by a teacher who'd been teaching me for less than 3 months and claimed that they 'knew my writing style' :colonhash:
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Don't think there needs to be any great reform. Some pieces of homework can be silly and an utter waste of time but that's not the majority of the time.

As to copying, I don't know about anyone else, but my teachers would scrutinise people's work for plagiarism - one time I was accused of just that (although I honestly hadn't) by a teacher who'd been teaching me for less than 3 months and claimed that they 'knew my writing style' :colonhash:

I remember being told by a few teachers to copy out page x for home work in GCSE history it was every single lesson.
(edited 6 years ago)
My 7 children did no homework while they were in Primary school as I didn't allow it. I informed the school as each child approached compulsory school age.
As they went to the Grammars, that was a different situation and homework was given - sometimes 2 hours a night.
Further to this, there are many children whose home life is chaotic, neglectful, abusive and not conducive to learning. Bed and Breakfast situations, temporary accommodation, poverty. Expecting both children and parents to meet these requirements only exacerbates the already stressful conditions many families live under.
I remember being told by a few teachers to copy out page x for home work in GCSE history it was every single lesson.

We had to do that in class most times when the teacher couldn't be bothered to teach. But I preferred to do that instead of useless other stuff so I'm not complaining.
I don't know about what homework should be like in years other than 10 and 11. in year 10, homework should be 1 or 2 practice paper questions a week (from each subject). Also, the teachers shouldn't rush to get the course finished so revision can be done in class - they should go through it slowly (as long as they are done 2 weeks before the GCSEs start) so the pupils have a better understanding of every topic. In year 11, homework should be either:
revision for 1 topic per week (evidence must be provided of making notes or answering past paper questions)
or
a practice paper every 2 weeks.
Original post by Seamus123
My 7 children did no homework while they were in Primary school as I didn't allow it. I informed the school as each child approached compulsory school age.
As they went to the Grammars, that was a different situation and homework was given - sometimes 2 hours a night.
Further to this, there are many children whose home life is chaotic, neglectful, abusive and not conducive to learning. Bed and Breakfast situations, temporary accommodation, poverty. Expecting both children and parents to meet these requirements only exacerbates the already stressful conditions many families live under.

But in the long term, homework is good for children, even those with the struggles that you listed.The homework will improve the children's grades so they can go to college and do well and have a chance of getting a good job so their life can be improved.
Original post by Baza2002
But in the long term, homework is good for children, even those with the struggles that you listed.The homework will improve the children's grades so they can go to college and do well and have a chance of getting a good job so their life can be improved.

With these struggles mentioned above, it is well documented that children do not learn where their living environment or home situation is sub-standard. Poverty, hunger, substandard accommodation and all these situations are stressful environments.
For myself, it did mine no harm not to have homework in Primary school. They sat and passed the 11+ and where most of the families in the area where we lived paid extortionate amounts for coaching, I would not do so. My children have done very well in life, and my grandchildren do not do homework in Primary school either.
Reply 17

There isn't time for both class work AND homework. So drop the class work and just do the homework using study books if necessary.
Original post by Seamus123
With these struggles mentioned above, it is well documented that children do not learn where their living environment or home situation is sub-standard. Poverty, hunger, substandard accommodation and all these situations are stressful environments.
For myself, it did mine no harm not to have homework in Primary school. They sat and passed the 11+ and where most of the families in the area where we lived paid extortionate amounts for coaching, I would not do so. My children have done very well in life, and my grandchildren do not do homework in Primary school either.

They should do at least 10 or 15 minutes of homework a week in primary school. It will get them ready for high school.
Original post by Baza2002
They should do at least 10 or 15 minutes of homework a week in primary school. It will get them ready for high school.

Says who? Teachers, the Government? As a parent, I think I know what is best for my children and coming home from school between the ages of 5 and 11 and having to sit down and continue their education after school seems to me to be counter productive and not conducive to family life. It is also fully documented that homework is the cause of much friction within families. Throughout my children's school lives, I never once met a teacher who believed that homework was essential to a child's education in the Primary years. Further to this, it interfered with our family life.

Quick Reply

Latest