Rufina1995
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi guys. Can you please tell me any exam techniques that you use to study better? I mostly get distracted by my phone or I'm too tired and go to sleep.
I've tried listening to soft music when studying. And reading the text books - one chapter or 2 pages per day.
Thank you
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Rufina1995)
Hi guys. Can you please tell me any exam techniques that you use to study better? I mostly get distracted by my phone or I'm too tired and go to sleep.
I've tried listening to soft music when studying. And reading the text books - one chapter or 2 pages per day.
Thank you
Good revision plan to keep work organised.
30min -60 mins unit and a rest.
I found I could work better if I had max concentration in the morning.
I get distracted from afternoon to late evening so i change the type of revision to sorts that are easy. variety, but make sure I get stuff done.
Mind maps and note making is pretty solid.
Try and do 1-2 timed questions a day- keep using your recall.
One chapter or 2 pages a day sounds slow.
Rufina1995
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Good revision plan to keep work organised.
30min -60 mins unit and a rest.
I found I could work better if I had max concentration in the morning.
I get distracted from afternoon to late evening so i change the type of revision to sorts that are easy. variety, but make sure I get stuff done.
Mind maps and note making is pretty solid.
Try and do 1-2 timed questions a day- keep using your recall.
One chapter or 2 pages a day sounds slow.
Thank you for the great advice. I'll try to read more chapters per day and answer more questions.
carrotstar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thank you
Do you mean exam techniques or revision techniques?

In an exam I always flick through the paper to see what’s ahead of me, and choose the questions first that I think will be easiest to answer; that gets your head in the zone and you’re more likely to come up with answers for the rest when you get to them. If you get stuck, move on and come back later.

In terms of revision, I like to make revision notes from lectures/lessons using PowerPoints from teachers/lecturers if they’re available, or revision guides/textbooks. Focus on the information you’re not familiar with or which is new to you rather than copying out things you learnt last year. And learn how to shorten things so you can write less but it means more, if that makes sense. I also like to do my notes in colours as when I sit in the exam I can visualise what colour that part was and it helps me remember.
To help you concentrate, I sometimes find listening to familiar old stuff helps, or I’ve made a playlist of music with no lyrics so I can’t sing along. Some people find classical music useful. It really does help to just shut the world out! On that note, if you can, try to work alone and in a reasonably empty room. At A-level I made the mistake of facing out a window when studying and found myself more interested in the breeze or a bird than my work!

Most of all, good luck, and don’t panic!
Rufina1995
Rep:
?
(Original post by carrotstar)
Do you mean exam techniques or revision techniques?

In an exam I always flick through the paper to see what’s ahead of me, and choose the questions first that I think will be easiest to answer; that gets your head in the zone and you’re more likely to come up with answers for the rest when you get to them. If you get stuck, move on and come back later.

In terms of revision, I like to make revision notes from lectures/lessons using PowerPoints from teachers/lecturers if they’re available, or revision guides/textbooks. Focus on the information you’re not familiar with or which is new to you rather than copying out things you learnt last year. And learn how to shorten things so you can write less but it means more, if that makes sense. I also like to do my notes in colours as when I sit in the exam I can visualise what colour that part was and it helps me remember.
To help you concentrate, I sometimes find listening to familiar old stuff helps, or I’ve made a playlist of music with no lyrics so I can’t sing along. Some people find classical music useful. It really does help to just shut the world out! On that note, if you can, try to work alone and in a reasonably empty room. At A-level I made the mistake of facing out a window when studying and found myself more interested in the breeze or a bird than my work!

Most of all, good luck, and don’t panic!
Thank you so much for the advice. I'll definitely try to use them. Specially the music one - I mostly listened to instrumental pop music, now I'll try the piano music.
I wanted both the exam and revision techniques. Thanks again. It's a great help
Baza2002
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Never start from the end of the exam - start at the start
Rufina1995
Rep:
?
(Original post by Baza2002)
Never start from the end of the exam - start at the start
What about multiple choice questions? They waste most of my time when I do practise questions - so I ususally start from where the worded questions start and then go to the multiple questions...
Baza2002
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What about multiple choice questions? They waste most of my time when I do practise questions - so I ususally start from where the worded questions start and then go to the multiple questions...
I mean when you are in an exam.
When you are revising, give yourself rewards when you have achieved something (e.g. finished your notes on a topic, getting a good grade on a practice paper in exam conditions, etc.). Rewards could be a snack, a day off revision the next day (only if you have got a good grade on a practice paper and if it's not close to your exams), or going to the cinema or having a takeaway if you get a certain amount of work done in 1 week.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (5)
55.56%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (2)
22.22%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (1)
11.11%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (0)
0%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (0)
0%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (0)
0%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
11.11%

Watched Threads