The Student Room Group

Accepting offer than declining

Good afternoon, I have applied at 5 Unis in the fields of Media and communications for a Ma.

Just two of them have given me and unconditional offer up to know: what happens if I accept and decline later one of them? Unfortunately I have to do something as both offers are of 4 weeks ago and I have to give an answer....

May I also accept and, eventually, ask them to defer the start of my course to the next year? What are the rules in general?
Thanks a lot everyone!
Original post by moveover
Good afternoon, I have applied at 5 Unis in the fields of Media and communications for a Ma.

Just two of them have given me and unconditional offer up to know: what happens if I accept and decline later one of them? Unfortunately I have to do something as both offers are of 4 weeks ago and I have to give an answer....

May I also accept and, eventually, ask them to defer the start of my course to the next year? What are the rules in general?
Thanks a lot everyone!

Hi! :h:

There's some really helpful guidance for this issue here on the UCAS website - simply put, you can accept as many offers as you are given (unconditionals included). The universities will be able to see other offers you have accepted.

When you have decided which of the offers you definitely want to go with, you should contact them to let them know that you will be attending. They will update your status to 'enrolled', and this will also notify the other options that you no longer need a place there.

Hope this helps! :smile:

Fred - UEA PG Rep
Reply 2
Original post by University of East Anglia PG Student Rep
Hi! :h:

There's some really helpful guidance for this issue here on the UCAS website - simply put, you can accept as many offers as you are given (unconditionals included). The universities will be able to see other offers you have accepted.

When you have decided which of the offers you definitely want to go with, you should contact them to let them know that you will be attending. They will update your status to 'enrolled', and this will also notify the other options that you no longer need a place there.

Hope this helps! :smile:

Fred - UEA PG Rep

Thanks a lot for being so kind. Does it work like this also with postgraduate degree-- MA?

Besides, what happens if I ask now to defer my entry and then in July I realize I can attend the course in october? Could I ask to anticipate my entry? Thanks a lot!
Original post by moveover
Thanks a lot for being so kind. Does it work like this also with postgraduate degree-- MA?

Besides, what happens if I ask now to defer my entry and then in July I realize I can attend the course in october? Could I ask to anticipate my entry? Thanks a lot!

Yes, it applies to PG courses - the link was to a section of the UCAS website specifically related to postgraduate applications :smile:

As with deferred entry, its hard to provide a clear answer on this as different universities will have different responses to this, its best to talk to them about it individually. Generally speaking, if you ask to defer, you won't be able to take that place back up again until the following year as the university will be looking to give the deferred place to someone else - but like I said, its best to discuss this properly with the universities you're interested in and see if you can work something out :biggrin:

Fred - UEA PG Rep
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by University of East Anglia PG Student Rep
Yes, it applies to PG courses - the link was to a section of the UCAS website specifically related to postgraduate applications :smile:

As with deferred entry, its hard to provide a clear answer on this as different universities will have different responses to this, its best to talk to them about it individually. Generally speaking, if you ask to defer, you won't be able to take that place back up again until the following year as the university will be looking to give the deferred place to someone else - but like I said, its best to discuss this properly with the universities you're interested in and see if you can work something out :biggrin:

Fred - UEA PG Rep

Thanks a lot. You have been very kind.
I actually would like to defer the offer to 2019, but I don't know If I will be still eligible for postgraduate LOAN as Eu citizen after Brexit date, even If I have been in UK since 2016.

Do you know what will be the rules?
Kind regards and thanks a lot again!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending