The Student Room Group

White privilege does not exist.

I'm interested about this; do you actually believe in such things?

Scroll to see replies

Wow you must be white if you think that
Original post by _Winston_
I'm interested about this; do you actually believe in such things?

The more we talk about it the more people will become convinced in their minds that it exists. Not saying it exists or not, but we should seek for equality of opportunity not equality of outcomes. Anyway asians are the privileged now, much more than whites are or ever were.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by TastyChicken
The more we talk about it the more people will become convinced in their minds that it exists. Not saying it exists or not, but we should seek for equality of opportunity not equality of outcomes. Anyway asians are the privileged now, much more than whites are or ever were.

My man, you are correct!

To be honest, I don't agree that Asians are privileged, but I agree about equality of opportunity. British classical liberalism forever!
(edited 6 years ago)
My man, you are correct!

To be honest, I don't agree that Asians are privileged, but I agree about equality of opportunity. British classical liberalism forever!

This is simply from observation, my uni is majority Asians, especially Singapore. I'm just so fed up with this white privilege debate, I understand what happened in the past was horrible and devastating to human societies, but this is a new era and as imperfect beings can be move on and try to at least think in a somewhat rational manner.
Asians are starting to dominate especially with the focus on economic activity moving towards the east, China is becoming a powerhouse and Asian tigers are continuing to develop. My old primary school went from no Asian,s to majority Asian, my current university is dominated by Asians, especially Singapore. They really are starting to control societies and are in many cases academically superior, my only issue is that they often lack substance and diversity.
Yeah it doesn't. In black US communities though they have a real culture of trying to find anyone who is 'putting them down' and so they can unite around that and get mad and smash things rather than try fix anything whether or not it is happening.
This is simply from observation, my uni is majority Asians, especially Singapore. I'm just so fed up with this white privilege debate, I understand what happened in the past was horrible and devastating to human societies, but this is a new era and as imperfect beings can be move on and try to at least think in a somewhat rational manner.
Asians are starting to dominate especially with the focus on economic activity moving towards the east, China is becoming a powerhouse and Asian tigers are continuing to develop. My old primary school went from no Asian,s to majority Asian, my current university is dominated by Asians, especially Singapore. They really are starting to control societies and are in many cases academically superior, my only issue is that they often lack substance and diversity.

Yeah! But that's not "privilege", that can't be taken away. People can do whatever. Unless you're getting hired because you're Asian, in which case, yes, you are privileged.
Yeah! But that's not "privilege", that can't be taken away. People can do whatever. Unless you're getting hired because you're Asian, in which case, yes, you are privileged.

Ye sorry I know this isn't an example of privilege, it's just something that has been embedded in my mind, I'm getting quite sick of this Asian dominance. I'm all for diversity and different cultures coming together but LSE is PACKED with Singaporeans, and they are so intelligent, but are already in their 20s, having 2 years more experience is so advantageous for them, I struggle to keep up with them academically.
Ye sorry I know this isn't an example of privilege, it's just something that has been embedded in my mind, I'm getting quite sick of this Asian dominance. I'm all for diversity and different cultures coming together but LSE is PACKED with Singaporeans, and they are so intelligent, but are already in their 20s, having 2 years more experience is so advantageous for them, I struggle to keep up with them academically.

its just life in this day and age smarter people win when before it was the people with the bigger guns.

Then go to a place where there are no Asians. There are loads of them.

If you can't keep up with them, go somewhere else, mate.

Sorry if this sounds callas or arrogant.
Not really. The UK's an equal place today. Black, white, blue, green, multi-coloured, none of it matters. White privilege is an apologist concept dreamt up by SJWs who are insecure about themselves to make themselves feel superior to other white people.
Then go to a place where there are no Asians. There are loads of them.

If you can't keep up with them, go somewhere else, mate.

Sorry if this sounds callas or arrogant.

"Callas" is a plant mate.
I don't know much about these Asian people, but I think that there are white privelege. These privelege are linked with the new nationalism and populist parties growing up in all european State. I don't like this situation, but I see everyday in the real life and online.
About the Asian I think that they get the economic and political power, in this way they get the social egemony in the high level place of our society. They will win this commercial war, becouse they are strong and together. We (european) are losing this war, because we're are thinking as the past. Infact we are separated (political, economical and so on) and we are weak. They are a billion people.
Reply 13
My man, you are correct!

What about the difference in opportunity for working class people compared to upper class people?
Original post by Londons Loverboy
"Callas" is a plant mate.

Sorry; callous.
I believe it does exist. It's not something that white people should be ashamed about though. It's just that they have a slight advantage over people of colour, just like able-bodied people have a slight advantage over disabled people. It doesn't mean all white people have better lives, and it's doesn't mean people of colour can't overcome that barrier to become successful anyway.
Original post by farahhh24
I believe it does exist. It's not something that white people should be ashamed about though. It's just that they have a slight advantage over people of colour, just like able-bodied people have a slight advantage over disabled people. It doesn't mean all white people have better lives, and it's doesn't mean people of colour can't overcome that barrier to become successful anyway.

Maybe. Or maybe this is a class issue.
Reply 17

Asians are the most privileged?? Where lol??
Original post by Crooky0
What about the difference in opportunity for working class people compared to upper class people?

Yep. Definitely. This is a class issue, not a racial issue.

Money actually can buy you privilege. Race cannot.
Im black and consider myself a English liberal and support civic nationalism.
White privilege did exist but that was only when there were laws put in place to stop people from exceeding due to their skin colour, however it does not exist now as everyone is equal under the law.

Quick Reply

Latest