The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why should I care about my 'white privelege'?

Okay, so I'm white and middle class. So what? I'm not racist. Why should I care about this so called 'privilege' I have?

Soz mods - probs better in society.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Because the internet says so.
White privilege is just a term used to emphasise how Caucasian people don’t have to think about certain actions as deeply as people of colour do. Every shire person has white privilege but it 100% doesn’t mean you are all racist
*white
Reply 4
Being a white person, using my white privilege to redirect the minds of other racist people can be competely transforming the way one looks at other races. If we are white and don’t use our privelage we are doing nothing and therefore don’t really care that our race hates other races. We have to let other arrogant white people know, white is not superior. And colored people are not less.
Original post by Aloram
Being a white person, using my white privilege to redirect the minds of other racist people can be competely transforming the way one looks at other races. If we are white and don’t use our privelage we are doing nothing and therefore don’t really care that our race hates other races. We have to let other arrogant white people know, white is not superior. And colored people are not less.

Yes! This is so important
but you're a white female, so you don't really have as much privilege as me
Reply 7
White privilege is something you as a white person has! Accept it and do something good.
Us people of colour don’t get as much opportunities as you white people- it’s not your fault but maybe use ur privilege to educate and help people on racism!
White priveledge exists and how you act on it is so important.
Original post by Miss Maddie
Okay, so I'm white and middle class. So what? I'm not racist. Why should I care about this so called 'privilege' I have?

Soz mods - probs better in society.

because other people are suffering badly due to white privilege. If you had an ounce of sympathy for all the ethnic minorities u would care.
Reply 9
You shouldn’t, it’s not real
White privilege is a term the left like to use to make everything about race because they love identity politics and victimhood :smile:)
Original post by FatimahKhan
because other people are suffering badly due to white privilege. If you had an ounce of sympathy for all the ethnic minorities u would care.

Can you point to some examples as to where people are suffering due to white people??
fatimahkhan

give examples in the uk where ethnic minorities are suffering badly due to white people. Blaming an entire race for something is racist.
Original post by Aloram

I'm sorry but you have been brainwashed.
Original post by TheBomber09
Can you point to some examples as to where people are suffering due to white people??

In the UK 30 million out of 65 million people are employed. 76% of white people are employed in a stable, well-paid job. 54% of black, asian and other ethnic minorities. A black person is six more times likely to get stopped and searched by police. White Britons make up 96% of the police force, 6% are made of Black, Asian etc Britons. There are 26 black court judges and 2506 white court judges. I am in no way saying that white people are the cause of this. I am saying that it is clear that there is white privilege. You cannot look at the statistics and tell me white privilege. Also, according to sociology (not the dictionary definition) the word racism can only be referred to races that have been oppressed in the past. White people have never been oppressed and you can therefore not be 'racist' towards them. In no way am I saying that it is right for a person to say insulting, racially prejudiced things to a white person, I am saying that it is not called racism. So white people are not the cause of this, but rather history and white privilege.
Hard to care about something that doesn’t exist.
Original post by Miss Maddie
give examples in the uk where ethnic minorities are suffering badly due to white people. Blaming an entire race for something is racist.

In the UK 30 million out of 65 million people are employed. 76% of white people are employed in a stable, well-paid job. 54% of black, asian and other ethnic minorities. A black person is six more times likely to get stopped and searched by police. White Britons make up 96% of the police force, 6% are made of Black, Asian etc Britons. There are 26 black court judges and 2506 white court judges. I am in no way saying that white people are the cause of this. I am saying that it is clear that there is white privilege. You cannot look at the statistics and tell me white privilege. Also, according to sociology (not the dictionary definition) the word racism can only be referred to races that have been oppressed in the past. White people have never been oppressed and you can therefore not be 'racist' towards them. In no way am I saying that it is right for a person to say insulting, racially prejudiced things to a white person, I am saying that it is not called racism. So white people are not the cause of this, but rather history and white privilege.
Original post by Aloram

As a young, poor, unemployed, white male with so-called "white privilege", should I start wasting my time quotetweeting racists on Twitter and tell them how dumb they are? How long should I do this for?

Do we not also want the data of how many blacks have been turned down for jobs compared to whites. If less black people are qualified then of course they won't get the job. There's not much we can do we to get older people top end jobs but for now it's dependent on if people actually try to get the job and not just give up based off of other people of the same race not being in that position.

Also, why should we use the sociology definition instead of the dictionary definition when sociology isn't even that useful?

You can be racist towards white People, don’t start with that drivel.

Latest