Why do people say being fat is beautiful? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Is being fat beautifull
    Yes
    19.44%
    No
    80.56%

ReputationRep:
    Why do people believe being fat is beautiful, it's not. If a person is fat they need to eat less and move more. there are some with medical conditions. 60% of adults are fat - 60% don't have medical conditions.

Fat is ugly. who agrees?

ReputationRep:
    I don’t mind a little fat. It’s not ugly. If they have s wonderful personality and are good looking I don’t see why weight should be a factor (unless they are majorly obese with medical conditions)
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    fat is funny, fat people tell the best jokes

ReputationRep:
    Being yourself, being happy and being confident in yourself is what makes you beautiful. Everyone sees a different kind of beauty and someone will see you as beautiful. Of course if it is effecting your health you should try to do something about it but it doesn't make you any less beautiful x

ReputationRep:
    are you fat?

one doth protest too much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss Maddie)
    Why do people believe being fat is beautiful, it's not. If a person is fat they need to eat less and move more. there are some with medical conditions. 60% of adults are fat - 60% don't have medical conditions.

Fat is ugly. who agrees?
    I dont get this thing with 'fat shaming' the people who say this are also the ones who say 'models are too skinny' and say its unhealthy. Being fat is alot worse and os much more of a problem than being skinny is. I dont mind fat people just dont be upset when someone crticizes you, when you cost everyone else money in medical costs etc. More vulnerable to illness, more.likely to get cancer, more likely to need surgery such as knee surgery and other fat surgical prpcedures thst cost thousands.

People need to stop being offended by everything and actually just look at the reality. By appropiating being fat you're increases the likely hood of dying at a younger age, would you want that for your Mum, Dad, Brother, Sister, Girlfriend, Boyfriend etcetc
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Miss Maddie)

Fat is ugly. who agrees?
    So basically a bit of fat shaming from you.
    Fact is not many people say fat is beautiful and most fat people really want to be slim. They do get fed up of being attacked and bullied about their weight and having their self esteemed trampled on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    So basically a bit of fat shaming from you.
    Fat is not many people say fat is beautiful and most fat people really want to be slim. They do get fed up of being attacked and bullied about their weight and having their self esteemed trampled on.
    *Fact is :mmm::mhmm:
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Good spot.

ReputationRep:
    If you find fat attractive congratulations to you however it is a very unhealthy trait and surprise surprise, the majority of people want to see healthy people in media outlets or have relationships with healthy people. Under no circumstances should obesity be glorified and approaches such as "health at every size" should just be ignored. It can be applied to super skinny people as well, neither should be glorified.

ReputationRep:
    Rationalising their lack of discipline

ReputationRep:
    Because they are stupid, obesity is no joke.
    Saying that though I do sympathies with those who have genetic predispositions.
    Acceptance isn't always a good thing and it's a frightening thing the path society is going down.

ReputationRep:
    I never understand why people feel like pointing out someone’s weight is appropriate, especially publicly. Fat people know they are fat. A lot of people I work with are overweight, some massively. They’re always trying diets and going to the gym but they struggle with comfort eating and food addiction. A guy I know lost 4 stone but got an injury at the gym and lost all hope and went back to his old ways.

It’s so easy to say “they should just lose weight” “just eat less and exercise more” but none of the fat people don’t know that, they’re faced with it everyday in the mirror. I know girls who won’t go out or be social until they loose enough weight to deserve it. If they were skinny everyone would worry, but because they’re overweight no one cares.

Feelings about food and weight are complex and it’s hard to change habits. Telling people they’re ugly because they’re fat is more likely to encourage them to give up and binge eat to soothe the pain than send them to the gym.

So no, “fat” isn’t beautiful. But fat people don’t need to be told when they’re carrying that weight every day. Comfort eating is a self destructive coping mechanism and we shouldn’t tell fat people to loose weight like it’s as easy as taking off a coat.

ReputationRep:
    Being fat certainly USED to be attractive decades ago. Flavours change over time

ReputationRep:
    Obese people are ugly. Period. Depends on age little fat is can normal though. Fat sometimes makes body feels healthy. But a lot of fat is wrong and bad.

(Original post by cat_mac)
    Telling people they’re ugly because they’re fat is more likely to encourage them to give up and binge eat to soothe the pain than send them to the gym.
    And telling them that they are beautiful won't encourage them going to gym either

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chucke1992)
    Obese people are ugly. Period. Depends on age little fat is can normal though. Fat sometimes makes body feels healthy. But a lot of fat is wrong and bad.

And telling them that they are beautiful won't encourage them going to gym either
    If I see someone who’s ugly in the street, I don’t go over and tell them and recommend a plastic surgeon. Insulting someone’s weight is just being an arseh*le. You can dress it up as “concern for their health” all you like but it’s just malicious and unnecessary.

ReputationRep:
    Most fat people don't choose to be fat, it is within their genes to be naturally fat e.g. one or both of their parents may be fat/chubby. In case of Asians, most of them are doomed to be skinny (like myself). For these types of people, losing or gaining weight is probably x3 harder than a mesomorph (naturally have athletic build).

ReputationRep:
    OP who hurt you?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Humans are imperfect, complex, flawed and fallible: Genetic inheritance, trauma, mental health, social pressure, social status, education - all play a part in building our character.

Fat shaming is a negative and bigoted judgement. It's every bit as insidious and odious as racial hatred.

Far from galvanising people to action, it can and does have the devastating opposite effect of creating potentially lethal mental health issues such as depression, anxiety and loss of esteem when comfort eating as a social coping mechanism runs away with itself.

'Fat is beautiful' is a way of disarming those who would use the term 'fat' as a weapon in much the same way as 'ni**a' is used by black people to disarm the word associated with prejudice and racial hatred.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Being fat certainly USED to be attractive decades ago. Flavours change over time
    I find this often gets overstated. Looking back on past movie stars, paintings and status of women considered desirable, most fall within the general boundaries of what we would consider attractive today. The medically obese have never been considered desirable.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.