The Student Room Group

year 10 history

I am currently in year 11 so if anyone studying history in year 10 needs a hand with anything just u no just ask
Original post by the farmer
I am currently in year 11 so if anyone studying history in year 10 needs a hand with anything just u no just ask

How about this person? Needs help on Elizabethan?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5250784&p=76611916#post76611916
Moved to history study help :smile:
Reply 3
What subjects are you doing
Reply 4
please!!! we're doing conflict in asia (korean and vietnam war), and just finished nazi germany. i cannot do essays to save me life!!! i'm getting there with interpretations but do you have any advice regarding long answer qs?
Reply 5
The best thing I could really say is revise all the topics so that you know what you can do and so you have more of an idea of everything else apart from the subjects you've told to write about
Reply 6
Original post by CoolCavy
Moved to history study help :smile:

I’m terrible at history, i was forced to take it. I don’t understand anything that we’re doing. I don’t know what to do :frown:
Reply 8
Original post by Purplebottle
I’m terrible at history, i was forced to take it. I don’t understand anything that we’re doing. I don’t know what to do :frown:

Do you some research at home and make lots of notes that's I do
Original post by the farmer

Im at uni
Reply 10
Original post by CoolCavy
Im at uni

Can't help you there but then again it depends on what time period
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by luna21
please!!! we're doing conflict in asia (korean and vietnam war), and just finished nazi germany. i cannot do essays to save me life!!! i'm getting there with interpretations but do you have any advice regarding long answer qs?

By long answer questions do you mean 6 and 10 markers? Im doing the Cambridge iGCSE and i've studied the same stuff as you so I'm just going to assume that's what you mean and hope im not wasting my time :biggrin:

Overall
LEARN YOUR CONTENT
I cannot say anymore - if you don't know your stuff, how are you going to write anything?
Make sure you understand every event
Use flowcharts to see how one thing leads into another
Write one big timeline of every single date in your course and stick it on your wall - this will help you understand what happens when
Use flashcards to learn dates - this is important because they may ask you something like; "how did Hitler consolidate his power between 1932 and 1936" where you can only mention things that happen between 1932-36 or you will get 0 marks
Practice questions to time because you will not have much time in the exam so you need to get used to it
Do you have to write cousework? We do and it counts for 28% or something like that so if this applies to you make sure you try hard on it because then you can safeguard some marks
Try not to think of the exam qs as essays because although in a way they are, i would never write my coursework in the same way as I would write a 10 marker

Tips on how to answer long qs (basically the bit you asked for)
6 markers
- Make a short 1 sentence introduction that basically repeats the question
Here is an example that could be used for the question i mentioned earlier; "Hitler effectively consolidated his power between 1932 and 1936 using a variety of methods"
- then start a new paragraph to make it clear to the examiner that that was your introduction
- try to make 3 points but two is still good if you are pushed for time
- start each paragraph with firstly/secondly/thirdly etc... - this will make it obvious how many points you have made
- seperate each paragraph with a line for the same reason
- DO NOT WRITE A CONCLUSION YOU DONT NEED IT

10 markers
- use a similar structure to the 6 marker
- start with an introduction written in the same way
- open each new point you make with firstly/secondly/thirdly
- try to make 4 points but 3 is fine
- you have to show some balance so make sure one of your paragraphs is a counterargument
- start your conclusion with "to conclude" or "in conclusion"
- in your conclusion, to access the top marks you should not be completely onesided and show balance
- to get 10 out of 10 you should say how one factor is more important than another in your conclusion

How to structure a paragraph
P - point - make a topic sentence
E - evidence/own knowledge - add some dates/statistics/examples/key events/quotes/case studies - if you don't have enough of this you wont score well
E- explain - use the word "because" or "this meant that" or "because of this" as it forces you to give an explanation which will give you marks
L - link - link back to the question - this makes sure that your answer stays relevant e.g "This allowed Hitler to consolidate his power"

good luck xx
Reply 12
Original post by casual_ravenclaw
By long answer questions do you mean 6 and 10 markers? Im doing the Cambridge iGCSE and i've studied the same stuff as you so I'm just going to assume that's what you mean and hope im not wasting my time :biggrin:

Overall
LEARN YOUR CONTENT
I cannot say anymore - if you don't know your stuff, how are you going to write anything?
Make sure you understand every event
Use flowcharts to see how one thing leads into another
Write one big timeline of every single date in your course and stick it on your wall - this will help you understand what happens when
Use flashcards to learn dates - this is important because they may ask you something like; "how did Hitler consolidate his power between 1932 and 1936" where you can only mention things that happen between 1932-36 or you will get 0 marks
Practice questions to time because you will not have much time in the exam so you need to get used to it
Do you have to write cousework? We do and it counts for 28% or something like that so if this applies to you make sure you try hard on it because then you can safeguard some marks
Try not to think of the exam qs as essays because although in a way they are, i would never write my coursework in the same way as I would write a 10 marker

Tips on how to answer long qs (basically the bit you asked for)
6 markers
- Make a short 1 sentence introduction that basically repeats the question
Here is an example that could be used for the question i mentioned earlier; "Hitler effectively consolidated his power between 1932 and 1936 using a variety of methods"
- then start a new paragraph to make it clear to the examiner that that was your introduction
- try to make 3 points but two is still good if you are pushed for time
- start each paragraph with firstly/secondly/thirdly etc... - this will make it obvious how many points you have made
- seperate each paragraph with a line for the same reason
- DO NOT WRITE A CONCLUSION YOU DONT NEED IT

10 markers
- use a similar structure to the 6 marker
- start with an introduction written in the same way
- open each new point you make with firstly/secondly/thirdly
- try to make 4 points but 3 is fine
- you have to show some balance so make sure one of your paragraphs is a counterargument
- start your conclusion with "to conclude" or "in conclusion"
- in your conclusion, to access the top marks you should not be completely onesided and show balance
- to get 10 out of 10 you should say how one factor is more important than another in your conclusion

How to structure a paragraph
P - point - make a topic sentence
E - evidence/own knowledge - add some dates/statistics/examples/key events/quotes/case studies - if you don't have enough of this you wont score well
E- explain - use the word "because" or "this meant that" or "because of this" as it forces you to give an explanation which will give you marks
L - link - link back to the question - this makes sure that your answer stays relevant e.g "This allowed Hitler to consolidate his power"

good luck xx

i’m doing aqa, but it’s quite similar, minus the coursework :frown: this has helped millions though!!! thank you so much <33

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending