The Student Room Group

Why are TSR users so awkward about sex considering this forum is anonymous

I don't mean it as a means of probing into someone's personal life ,it's just when u mention the word"sex" they will be like OMG THATS SO BAD THATS LIKE A SWEAR WORD. Or I can't believe an actual human has had sex.

Scroll to see replies

I don't really think this is the case for a majority of members on TSR. You're always going to find that some people simply have an aversion to discussing sex and that's their prerogative - but in general I find they stay away from discussions surrounding sex. If someone is purposefully commenting the likes of what you're saying they are, they're likely just being immature for the sake of it rather than actually being prudish. :smile:
Original post by Paracosm
I don't really think this is the case for a majority of members on TSR. You're always going to find that some people simply have an aversion to discussing sex and that's their prerogative - but in general I find they stay away from discussions surrounding sex. If someone is purposefully commenting the likes of what you're saying they are, they're likely just being immature for the sake of it rather than actually being prudish. :smile:
That is not what I meant. I was wondering why sex is tabooed considering we've all done it, and on an anonymous forum surely we can open up about our issues. From what I've seen people here are pretty socially awkward and struggle at the first stage of even starting a conversation with the opposite sex
Original post by JessicaannevE
That is not what I meant. I was wondering why sex is tabooed considering we've all done it, and on an anonymous forum surely we can open up about our issues. From what I've seen people here are pretty socially awkward and struggle at the first stage of even starting a conversation with the opposite sex

Ah, well I suppose that's a different topic from what you've named this thread. This makes more sense. I think that some people struggle talking about their sexual encounters and sexual problems because, well... it's private to that person and should they choose to be uncomfortable about sharing that then so be it. I think there is a taboo surrounding sex in general but I do feel that young people, most especially those I've seen on TSR, are much more open than I've found others to be. I think there's progress to be made like you say, but ultimately some people (myself included) like to keep their sex lives private simply because it's a deeply personal thing.

I think there's a difference between discussing sexuality and the actual act of sex though. :smile: Yeah, some people are socially awkward here but then again it's an online forum and so sometimes people that probably wouldn't dream of discussing sex in real life are giving it a go here for the first time and I imagine that can be quite a difficult process. I think instead of being questioning and irritated about their apprehension it's best to meet them with understanding and tolerance so that they feel they can be more open about it in future, which is what you appear to want. :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
That isnt the TSR I recognise at all.
Reply 5
I was wondering why sex is tabooed considering we've all done it

They haven't, though.

Maybe because everyone hasnt done it and that lots of people are still at school. How much of TSR have you seen considering your account is new?
I don't mean it as a means of probing into someone's personal life ,it's just when u mention the word"sex" they will be like OMG THATS SO BAD THATS LIKE A SWEAR WORD. Or I can't believe an actual human has had sex.

Don't think anyone says this. For more personal issues, the anonymous function is there. If you're fine discussing it openly, then do so.

Either way, deriding someone for not being uncomfortable is unnecessary.
Ah, well I suppose that's a different topic from what you've named this thread. This makes more sense. I think that some people struggle talking about their sexual encounters and sexual problems because, well... it's private to that person and should they choose to be uncomfortable about sharing that then so be it. I think there is a taboo surrounding sex in general but I do feel that young people, most especially those I've seen on TSR, are much more open than I've found others to be. I think there's progress to be made like you say, but ultimately some people (myself included) like to keep their sex lives private simply because it's a deeply personal thing.

I think there's a difference between discussing sexuality and the actual act of sex though. :smile: Yeah, some people are socially awkward here but then again it's an online forum and so sometimes people that probably wouldn't dream of discussing sex in real life are giving it a go here for the first time and I imagine that can be quite a difficult process. I think instead of being questioning and irritated about their apprehension it's best to meet them with understanding and tolerance so that they feel they can be more open about it in future, which is what you appear to want. :smile:
would u participate in the informal drinking game Never Have I Ever
there are a few tsr users who have banged each other so they find it awkward to talk here
BECAUSE

1-there's a lot of virgins on here (kids, neckbeards, aspegers etc)
2-they're muslim and I'm not throwing shade but apparently they have strict families or something
3-tsr is politically correct as ****

that's it.
Original post by Drewski
They haven't, though.
how do u know that
would u participate in the informal drinking game Never Have I Ever

If I were drunk enough, probably. Sounds like a laugh.
how do u know that

Because the overwhelming majority of people here are, for want of a better word, young bookish nerds. Nothing wrong with being any of those things, but stereotypically they're the ones who'll first have sex later in life.

Numerous informal surveys have asked what people's sexual experience is like and the majority of people are virgins.
Original post by Bang Outta Order
BECAUSE

1-there's a lot of virgins on here (kids, neckbeards, aspegers etc)
2-they're muslim and I'm not throwing shade but apparently they have strict families or something
3-tsr is politically correct as ****

that's it.

Yeah I agree with that. There's also a lot of ppl that sound like they haven't left their bedroom in 10 years
Yeah I agree with that. There's also a lot of ppl that sound like they haven't left their bedroom in 10 years

that would fall under "neckbeard" lol
that would fall under "neckbeard" lol
I'm guessing
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5223096 Would be a great example of neckbeards haha
Original post by MrDystopia
Don't think anyone says this. For more personal issues, the anonymous function is there. If you're fine discussing it openly, then do so.

Either way, deriding someone for not being uncomfortable is unnecessary.

you mean, for being uncomfortable

I'm guessing
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5223096 Would be a great example of neckbeards haha

dunno I've never seen that thread before. I think neckbeards are more trolly though, that thread seems to be kids having their own definition of fun
If I were drunk enough, probably. Sounds like a laugh.

do it sober, that game isn't deep enough to be drunk

truth or dare maybe though
do it sober

I've watched it take place sober and it was still a laugh tbf!

Quick Reply

Latest