The Student Room Group

Really red face, how can i stop it?

hi

please delete rather than de-anon.

for as long as i can remember i have been going a really bright red colour on my face, literally like this :mad:! it happens in so many occassions like when im embarassed, shy,nervous,excercising, in a hot room, in a cold room, leaving a hot room to a cold room, when a teacher speaks to me, when i laugh too much... the list really is endless. and i have sort of got used to it, i hate it but i realise it happens and that caring makes me redder. however i have had enough. it is ruining my confidence, i am deliberatly avoiding things that make me red and its making me miserable. this comes about because yesterday we were doing presentations in class in groups. i didnt even have to speak, just stand there and hand something out and yet i went really bright red! then when i went to sit down my supposed friend says to another friend "shes really red" then the other goes "i think she heard". now it is nothing new that i go red. i have done it for ever and they know it makes me redder to point it out. so i lasted the rest of the day bright red.

does anyone else do this? and if so what treatments can be had/remedies? i have seriously had enough!!!

Scroll to see replies

Used to until about 16; It went away with age. (atleast partially)
my eye lids used to to that. I looked right wierd with red round my eyes and a white face :biggrin:
Reply 3
Oh! A friend of mine was just like that. He got teased occassionally about it, but no-one really minded. People just found it slightly amusing. Methinks you're over-reacting slightly. Just, try to build up your confidence, and stop being embarrassed so easily.
Reply 4
I go like that all the time. I just try not to think about it too much as i dont think there is anything you can do.

I find it a blessing that i never have to wear blusher!!
Reply 5
Concealer and foundation.
Reply 6
I go red all the time. If people talk to me, if guys I like are even mentioned, if im asked a question in school, when I laugh etc

I hate it! And I think about it too much which makes me redder
Also, i think something is going to be embarrassing so I go red before it even happens..and i can feel my cheeks getting hotter and hotter.

So yeah, i have the same problem but no idea how to stop it!
Reply 7
Ha, me too.
There are greeny coloured skin bases that even out the colour a bit, I like to think that works a little bit.
For the embarrassment/attention on you blushing, people always suggest that you look to the root of why it embarrasses you and be rational to tell your brain it's not really embarrassing.
That one never works for me. Sometimes I'm awesome in potentially embarrassing situations, sometimes it's only something tiny that makes my heart rate go to about ten thousand and I tremble and blush and... ah..
Reply 8
I have the same problem as well. Sometimes when I'm not even THAT embarassed about something I STILL go red, and then everyone says I'm embarassed when I'm not.

And yeah if someone actually say I've gone red, it makes it even worse.

Also, alcohol makes me face go REALLY red as well! Even if it's just a tiny bit of wine or just 1/3 of a can of beer make my face incredibly red that I look like my face is about to burst!!! It's like I'm allergic to it or something.
Drink more water, exercise more often (alone if you prefer), eat your 5 vegies a day. Dont take salt with meals.
lol its a pain having the rosyness of a welshman!!! if your a lad u cant even wear concealer!! hits me worse when im wrecked as well :frown:
Reply 11
Hey I am 16 and I have the same problem. This is social anxiety. I went to the doctors yesterday and he gived me a number to ring for therapy. Also he was going to give me some tablets called beta blockers however I used to have asthma so I was not able to have them as there dangerous in people with asthma.
When your face goes red, your body thinks that you are in an emergency so adrenaline is produced which then flushes to the face, muscles, brain etc. My doctor said until you have your therapy, when you start feeling that you are going to go red try and clam yourself down, say to yourself something positive- today in school I was saying to myself im not scared I am very happy’ also shout stop! In your head. These two together will help notify your brain that you are not in and emergency.
I have to ring up about my therapy on Saturday after I have had it I will post back ( it will properly not be finished until around June.)
I do advice you to see a doctor, I was scared to go see a doctor as I thought he would just see it’s a problem that will go in time but pull yourself together and see one and think positive.
I use a total coverage foundation (light but does the job) - I don't go red often now (very rarely in fact) but at school it was bad. If you try this, get the foundation colour matched properly - it's worth the extra time.
Reply 13
I am completely the same, I read some where that if you think about something cold when you think your about to turn red, you dont go as red, it worked for about 2 wks but not any more
Ugh, I feel your pain. When I'm working out I look like a tomato. When I blush I look like a tomato. When I'm remotely hot I look like a tomato. My cheeks are almost always red. I think it's bad circulation, my granddad had the same thing :dontknow:
Original post by Anonymous
hi

please delete rather than de-anon.

for as long as i can remember i have been going a really bright red colour on my face, literally like this :mad:! it happens in so many occassions like when im embarassed, shy,nervous,excercising, in a hot room, in a cold room, leaving a hot room to a cold room, when a teacher speaks to me, when i laugh too much... the list really is endless. and i have sort of got used to it, i hate it but i realise it happens and that caring makes me redder. however i have had enough. it is ruining my confidence, i am deliberatly avoiding things that make me red and its making me miserable. this comes about because yesterday we were doing presentations in class in groups. i didnt even have to speak, just stand there and hand something out and yet i went really bright red! then when i went to sit down my supposed friend says to another friend "shes really red" then the other goes "i think she heard". now it is nothing new that i go red. i have done it for ever and they know it makes me redder to point it out. so i lasted the rest of the day bright red.

does anyone else do this? and if so what treatments can be had/remedies? i have seriously had enough!!!

I'm pale and I have a massively red blush, from heat and embarrassment. If I know I'm going into a situation i wear powder over foundation which means it looks like a natural red tint rather then a massive blush
These conditions sometimes have a deep underlying course .

Diet is a very big factor :

- start drinking 8 glasses of water
- eating a variety of fruit and veg
- don't eat spicy food or drink alcohol, tea or coffee as could caused red face
- no masturbation or sex as this could also worsen the issue ( so I've heard

Good luck !!
Yep I used to have this. Even when I used to answer my name for the register in high school, IMMEDIATELY my face would turn bright red and I'd feel it so SO hot, and my eyes would start to water.

I think it's something along the lines of chronic shyness.

It eased off the older and more confident I got - though if I were in a situation where I'd have to speak in front of a large crowd I think I'd probably turn beetroot-like again.
Original post by Reborn a new man
These conditions sometimes have a deep underlying course .

Diet is a very big factor :

- start drinking 8 glasses of water
- eating a variety of fruit and veg
- don't eat spicy food or drink alcohol, tea or coffee as could caused red face
- no masturbation or sex as this could also worsen the issue ( so I've heard

Good luck !!

if neg reps still existed, I'm sorry but this post would be worthy of one.

Anxiety or shyness has absolutely nothing to do with diet, and advising the OP to refrain from sex or masturbation is frankly just ridiculous advice.
Excuse me but before you go slagging peoples comments make sure you get your facts right!!

I didn't say anything about shyness or anxiety being linked to diet...

I'm talking about redness and blushing being linked to diet . It has been shown in studies that diet does actually affect Rosacea ( red skin condition) . Spicy foods and alcohol can cause redness in face . Google it for yourself and you will see.

And have you heard of something called a sexual flush which has been shown in studies . Therefore my advise would to be refrain from sexual activities if you want the redness to subside.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending