What is the Grade required to go from national 5 to higher?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I was just wondering if a C which is considered a pass, will allow you to go onto do higher. One of my teachers said that an a is required whilst others said a b is required.
TomW624
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm not quite sure what the case is now that its Nationals, i did standard grades and intermediates, but is it not based upon the discretion of the department head? or at least I'm pretty sure that's how it worked at my school.
MLM99
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It could be anything, my school only allows people who get As in Nat 5 Engineering to do Higher but they allow a C at Nat 5 Maths to do Higher. Some teachers will do it their own way; my English teacher only signs you off if you are getting As and she has refused to sign off people with A2s before, my Modern and History teachers will sign off practically everyone as long as they don't have a grudge.

As a rule of thumb, if you get a B at Nat 5 you will be allowed to take the Higher but some will be more lenient in certain circumstances or more strict. Just ask if you are unsure.
TomW624
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by MLM99)
It could be anything, my school only allows people who get As in Nat 5 Engineering to do Higher but they allow a C at Nat 5 Maths to do Higher. Some teachers will do it their own way; my English teacher only signs you off if you are getting As and she has refused to sign off people with A2s before, my Modern and History teachers will sign off practically everyone as long as they don't have a grudge.

As a rule of thumb, if you get a B at Nat 5 you will be allowed to take the Higher but some will be more lenient in certain circumstances or more strict. Just ask if you are unsure.
My school allowed me to do higher biology, higher physics and higher history in my final year even though i had no lower qualification in any of the subjects, it was based on how well i performed in my other subjects through the years. Although i did have to drop the physics cause they made an error and it over lapped with other lessons.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (67)
41.61%
Take autumn exams (54)
33.54%
Look for a job (4)
2.48%
Consider an apprenticeship (5)
3.11%
Take a year out (22)
13.66%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (9)
5.59%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed