The Student Room Group

Training while at university (Nottingham)

I'm off to University of Nottingham for the 2018/2019 academic year to study Mechanical Engineering. I understand that engineering has a high workload, but ideally I would like to continue training in Olympic Weightlifting.
However, the closest club is an hour away by train. This means two hours travel total (though I can do a little work on the train), plus 2+ hours training, about 4 times a week. (~16 hours per week).
This seems like a big time commitment, and I want to know if it is realistic.

As extra information: currently, on training days, I have 2.5 hours travel total (2 to and from school, 0.5 to and from my weightlifting club) and I'm able to hit my predicted grades in mocks, which are A*A*A in maths/further maths/physics.

Any input from STEM university students is appreciated, thank you for your time.

Jakub.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by jakub_
I'm off to University of Nottingham for the 2018/2019 academic year to study Mechanical Engineering. I understand that engineering has a high workload, but ideally I would like to continue training in Olympic Weightlifting.
However, the closest club is an hour away by train. This means two hours travel total (though I can do a little work on the train), plus 2+ hours training, about 4 times a week. (~16 hours per week).
This seems like a big time commitment, and I want to know if it is realistic.

As extra information: currently, on training days, I have 2.5 hours travel total (2 to and from school, 0.5 to and from my weightlifting club) and I'm able to hit my predicted grades in mocks, which are A*A*A in maths/further maths/physics.

Any input from STEM university students is appreciated, thank you for your time.

Jakub.

that is a lot of travelling to be doing on a weekly basis, have you considered whether your loan would stretch that far financially?
Won't your university have an olympic weightlifting society? Alternatively you could join any random gym with an olympic lifting platform and train there.

I'm a CS major and I do bodybuilding/powerlifting regularly 4 days a week
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by rickyrossman
Won't your university have an olympic weightlifting society? Alternatively you could join any random gym with an olympic lifting platform and train there.

I'm a CS major and I do bodybuilding/powerlifting regularly 4 days a week

I've heard the gym at Nottingham isn't sufficient for oly lifting.
There is a PL gym 20 mins away by bike, but this is a plan B if plan A isn't possible. It's not a BWL gym, and training without a coach makes things more difficult.
With powerlifting you can get away with training alone pretty easily.
Original post by claireestelle
that is a lot of travelling to be doing on a weekly basis, have you considered whether your loan would stretch that far financially?

This is not the biggest concern for me, my parents want me to continue training and have offered financial support to help cover costs such as this.

Quick Reply

Latest