The Student Room Group

Is disability a social construct?

Is disability a social construct? I am currently writing an essay on this question, and would like a bigger variety of views, please help :smile:.
Original post by jadeolivia
Is disability a social construct? I am currently writing an essay on this question, and would like a bigger variety of views, please help :smile:.

I think you could make arguments for and against it, from my experience of having dyslexia and dyspraxia, i don't feel as "disabled" when i m in an environment i m comfortable in but feel much more so when i m put into new situations but if everything was in an easier to read font and directions made more sense then i would feel almost "normal".
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
I think you could make arguments for and against it, from my experience of having dyslexia and dyspraxia, i don't feel as "disabled" when i m in an environment i m comfortable in but feel much more so when i m put into new situations but if everything was in an easier to read font and directions made more sense then i would feel almost "normal".

i can see what you mean, my sister also has dyspraxia and dyslexia and has said the same; that she feels more "disabled" when in situations that she might find more difficult or that make her uncomfortable. Whereas, at home she will feel "normal". i think that it could be considered a social construct because of the labels and stereotypes that are usually distributed with the idea of being "disabled".
Reply 3
I mean it kinda depends on the disability maybe you could argue that stuff like Dyslexia and the like are social constructs but I mean if you don't have legs there are is a definitive disability there yea if everywhere had ramps and **** for people in wheelchairs that would make it easier but the disability is still there its just more manageable and doesn't get in the way as much i imagine
Original post by jadeolivia
i can see what you mean, my sister also has dyspraxia and dyslexia and has said the same; that she feels more "disabled" when in situations that she might find more difficult or that make her uncomfortable. Whereas, at home she will feel "normal". i think that it could be considered a social construct because of the labels and stereotypes that are usually distributed with the idea of being "disabled".

yes i would completely agree there:smile:
you could mention Professor Hawking. although he was massively disabled in his physical activities he achieved great things with his mind.
Reply 6
Thank-you everybody, i will be sure to take these factors into consideration when writing my essay :smile:
You may find it relevant (or not, I'm not sure) to refer to the examples of "pre-civilisation" human ancestors caring for those with what would amount to permanent physical disabilities. This may open discussions into what exactly is required for a social construction to be created an exist, in terms of "society"/civilisation.

I can't remember the specific names but there is definitely at least one well preserved skeleton that is referred to that had injuries from broken bones which would have prevented signifcant movement and certainly participation in hunting and so on. It also showed the signs of having lived many years after the injuries were occurred (and hence presumably being cared for) however.

Incidentally also a counter argument to the arguments employed by social darwinists regarding "primitivism" in "survival of the fittest", as it quite clearly demonstrates altruism has been a feature of humans and their ancestors for a loooong time (there are of course many other examples of altruism in non-human animals besides, but this is definitely off the topic if the previous comment was).

Quick Reply

Latest