The Student Room Group

Positives about Islam?

Scroll to see replies

The fact that Allah doesn't have a gender. No male or female.
Original post by Reformed
indeed - while the early arab muslims imprinted their own customs on islamic tradition -science maths and technology was not amoung those - it took the conquest of persia, middle east and later forays into asia for the level of civlisation and education he refers to to become synonymous in the muslim world

persians were awesome. but I was surprised in the past when found out that arabic numerals are in fact indian.
Haters gonna hate my bro
(1) Reply to thread - The Student Room

---Quick points of some of the positives that have come about either directly or indirectly, "from the teachings of Islam:"
1.The Founder Of Child Benefits, Pensions, Disability Benefits - First Welfare System & Social Justice System for Humanity Umar (Omar) bin al-Khattab, the Second Khalifa of the Muslims - recorded tradition in pre-islamic judaic middle east as well as under chinese emporerers

2. Almost 2 billion followers, the vast majority are law-abiding, peaceful inhabitants of the world. Can be said of Christanity
3. 7th - 13th Century: Huge advancements in science, philosophy, medicine, mathematics and education. - True , primarily as a result of muslims of that era being educated by the older greek, persian and indian works of science and technology they came in contact with

4. The Islamic empire was the first “truly universal civilization,” - ??Roman Empire??
5. Intellectual centres in Baghdad, Andalusia, Cairo, West Africa and Persia
6. Muslim scholars amongst the first to debate ethics and to investigate pollution, starting off concern about the environment.- Really, not heard this one ?
7. Inventions of camera obscura (Chinese -Mozi, then Greek - Anthemius ) coffee ( pre-islamic Ethiopia) , soap bar ( Babylonian, ancient Egypt and rome), tooth paste (ancient egypt and first modern chemical paste in USA) , shampoo ( India), distilled alcohol ( anceint Iraq- Sumerians) , uric acid, nitric acid,(Greeks -Galen) , valve ( ancient egypt/ Rome) piston pump (Greeks Archimedes) - and mechanized waterclocks ( Egypt and Baylonians), quilting, surgical catgut, vertical-axle windmill, inoculation,(India and China) cryptanalysis,frequency analysis (True - although Al-Kindi whom you refer is famed from learning his techniques from Aristotles books and various Indian mathematicians) three-course meal, ( russia) stained glass and quartz glass( Phoenicia and South Asia), Persian carpet ( probably pre-islamic persia also), and celestial globe (ancient greeks - lookup Farnese Atlas
- to name a few.
8. Justice system influencing all law including western law- i guess you are really struggling at this point - Law? Ancient china, greece, rome egypt, Sumerians, assyrians, judaic societies. becuase the arabs didnt have a civilised system of law, the ideas mohammed introduced seemed revolutionery - but they were copied
These are the few I could think of off the top of my head, I'll let others join in and add to it
(1) Reply to thread - The Student Room

---Quick points of some of the positives that have come about either directly or indirectly, "from the teachings of Islam:"
1.The Founder Of Child Benefits, Pensions, Disability Benefits - First Welfare System & Social Justice System for Humanity Umar (Omar) bin al-Khattab, the Second Khalifa of the Muslims - recorded tradition in pre-islamic judaic middle east as well as under chinese emporerers

2. Almost 2 billion followers, the vast majority are law-abiding, peaceful inhabitants of the world. Can be said of Christanity
3. 7th - 13th Century: Huge advancements in science, philosophy, medicine, mathematics and education. - True , primarily as a result of muslims of that era being educated by the older greek, persian and indian works of science and technology they came in contact with

4. The Islamic empire was the first “truly universal civilization,” - ??Roman Empire??
5. Intellectual centres in Baghdad, Andalusia, Cairo, West Africa and Persia
6. Muslim scholars amongst the first to debate ethics and to investigate pollution, starting off concern about the environment.- Really, not heard this one ?
7. Inventions of camera obscura (Chinese -Mozi, then Greek - Anthemius ) coffee ( pre-islamic Ethiopia) , soap bar ( Babylonian, ancient Egypt and rome), tooth paste (ancient egypt and first modern chemical paste in USA) , shampoo ( India), distilled alcohol ( anceint Iraq- Sumerians) , uric acid, nitric acid,(Greeks -Galen) , valve ( ancient egypt/ Rome) piston pump (Greeks Archimedes) - and mechanized waterclocks ( Egypt and Baylonians), quilting, surgical catgut, vertical-axle windmill, inoculation,(India and China) cryptanalysis,frequency analysis (True - although Al-Kindi whom you refer is famed from learning his techniques from Aristotles books and various Indian mathematicians) three-course meal, ( russia) stained glass and quartz glass( Phoenicia and South Asia), Persian carpet ( probably pre-islamic persia also), and celestial globe (ancient greeks - lookup Farnese Atlas
- to name a few.
8. Justice system influencing all law including western law- i guess you are really struggling at this point - Law? Ancient china, greece, rome egypt, Sumerians, assyrians, judaic societies. becuase the arabs didnt have a civilised system of law, the ideas mohammed introduced seemed revolutionery - but they were copied
These are the few I could think of off the top of my head, I'll let others join in and add to it

Copied ?? You just said they were “uncivilized” then how was he able to access information like this and “copy” don’t tell me he looked it up in the internet
Merits of Islam in many fields: http://falsehoodgo.webs.com/
Original post by nerdwannabe1
Copied ?? You just said they were “uncivilized” then how was he able to access information like this and “copy” don’t tell me he looked it up in the internet

mohammed (was said) to have copied traditions of the jews and early christians he met on his travels. that is in addition to pre-islamic traditions he already picked up from his own pagan tribe - for example the hajj to the kabaa, lunar fasting for ramadan etc ( which hstorically were all commonly practiced by arabs before islam)
Original post by Chucke1992
persians were awesome. but I was surprised in the past when found out that arabic numerals are in fact indian.

well the reason why we ( europeans) call them arabic numerals is that our post renaissance mathematicans read Al kindi and other arab/persian books. they were however ignorant to the fact that those persians and arabs had orginally learnt basics of decimal maths (and numerals) by books from ancient India. The arabs called numbers "Al-Hind" or Hindu numerals
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending