The Student Room Group

imperial vs soton

hi guys. just received my offer from imperial and i was wondering if you could give me any suggestions regarding which university is the best for aerospace engineering and which one should i make my firm. imperial or southampton?
Reply 1
Original post by alex_tp
hi guys. just received my offer from imperial and i was wondering if you could give me any suggestions regarding which university is the best for aerospace engineering and which one should i make my firm. imperial or southampton?

Have you visited them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Doonesbury
Have you visited them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

unfortunately not
Reply 3
Original post by alex_tp
unfortunately not

Can you? Even if you are international (in fact especially if you are International) you will be spending 4+ years and a lot of money so you really should visit and see what you are investing in.

Why did you shortlist them in the first place?
As above you may wish to visit them to get a feel for the universities. The major factor is probably going to be the prospect of living in London vs not - it's not for everyone. They're both good courses - Imperial perhaps more "prestigious" but I haven't seen any evidence that it's better or worse, other than this fact, than the Southampton course.

The people I know who did aerospace at Soton (weirdly quite a few due to moving into a houseshare of them way back when) all seemed to enjoy the course, and it seemed to have a very good community feel for those on the course. From what I gathered as well as generally getting on very well as a cohort and not being so much just "bunch of people on the same course" the lecturers were described as very congenial and often chatted with students "on the same level" so to speak. However, they were on the course quite a while ago now, and it's possible the environment has changed somewhat. I think the course itself has gotten bigger at least.

Quick Reply

Latest