The Student Room Group

bubbles in alcohol (electronegativity and hydrogen bonding)

So I think I might know the answer to this but I don't know if it makes sense :/

Basically, my teacher had three different chemicals - propan-1-ol, propan-1,2-diol and propan-1,2,3-triol in test tubes and turned them upside down to see how quickly air bubbles reached the top.

We have to identify which chemical is in which test tube according to how quickly the bubble reached the top relative to the others.

I was thinking the more hydroxyl groups the slower it would be because the hydroxyl groups are electronegative and would hydrogen bond to the air molecules more which would slow them down. I'm not sure if this would work out though.

Any ideas would be super helpful!
Propan-1,2,3-triol is the most polar and forms the largest number of hydrogen bonds which are stronger than van der Waals interactions. This should mean that it has the highest viscosity and the bubble would be expected to be the slowest to reach the top?
Reply 2
Original post by randombiochemist
Propan-1,2,3-triol is the most polar and forms the largest number of hydrogen bonds which are stronger than van der Waals interactions. This should mean that it has the highest viscosity and the bubble would be expected to be the slowest to reach the top?

yes thank you! i wasn't thinking about viscosity

Quick Reply

Latest