Which video games were you unsure of buying at first, but ended up enjoying? Watch

frostfly
Badges: 20
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
For me it was Rune Factory 4. I was tight on money and wasn't really looking for another role-playing/simulation farm games, but after watching snippets of the gameplay and reading all the reviews about how amazing the game was, I decided to at least give it a try.

I was sold on this game in my first 15 minutes of playing. The dialogues of each character were just so well crafted and the events and festivals are quite fun to get involved in. If you're into games like Harvest Moon, Story of Seasons or Stardew Valley, you definitely wouldn't want to miss this one out. I only wish I'd discovered RF4 sooner :cute:

dartagnankillian
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
One I can think of is ‘the evil within’; I’m quite a pussy so I wasn’t sure if I’d do well with a horror game, but I like it
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Ray_Shadows
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by rainabridget)
One I can think of is ‘the evil within’; I’m quite a pussy so I wasn’t sure if I’d do well with a horror game, but I like it
same here but for me it was outlast 2 , playing it alone at night with headphones on was one of the most thrilling experiences i've ever had when gaming, needless to say at one point i got a jumpscared real bad and....well
ozzyoscy
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In an issue of Official PlayStation 2 magazine I had, one of the reviews was a couple of paragraphs of a **** 7/10 (back when 7/10 was ****) for Yakuza, so I avoided it. Eventually I bought it in GameStation, and it turned out to be one of the greatest games/series ever, far bigger and immersive then the little review said.

The series continues strongly with 18 games so far and is as prominent in Japan as GTA is here. Critically acclaimed over here as well, finally getting recognition after Sony took over Sega's marketing and actually advertised the thing.
Eat-sleep-repeat
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor. Up until that point my most experience gaming was Pokémon and other 3DS stuff, so I had no clue about or interest in typical open world AAA PS4 games, but I played it and loved it. I kind of have a thing for open world fantasy games now (The Witcher 3, Skyrim, Horizon Zero Dawn etc.)
Picnicl
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Catherine
SirMilkSheikh
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ozzyoscy)
In an issue of Official PlayStation 2 magazine I had, one of the reviews was a couple of paragraphs of a **** 7/10 (back when 7/10 was ****) for Yakuza, so I avoided it. Eventually I bought it in GameStation, and it turned out to be one of the greatest games/series ever, far bigger and immersive then the little review said.

The series continues strongly with 18 games so far and is as prominent in Japan as GTA is here. Critically acclaimed over here as well, finally getting recognition after Sony took over Sega's marketing and actually advertised the thing.
Hear hear. I recently played Yakuza 0 and was blown away by it’s brilliance. The story, characters, drama, and plot twists are exceptional.
ozzyoscy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SirMilkSheikh)
Hear hear. I recently played Yakuza 0 and was blown away by it’s brilliance. The story, characters, drama, and plot twists are exceptional.
It's just a shame that due to Sega's zero-marketing/don't make any money policy, everyone playing now have missed out on 1-5 etc., especially 3 and 2 (at least 1 and 2 have remakes though).
SirMilkSheikh
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ozzyoscy)
It's just a shame that due to Sega's zero-marketing/don't make any money policy, everyone playing now have missed out on 1-5 etc., especially 3 and 2 (at least 1 and 2 have remakes though).
Yeah it does suck. You can tell that Sega pours their heart in to making Yakuza with all of it’s gimmicks and novelty which works surprisingly well with the seriousness and violence of the core game. I can’t blame Sega for their lack of marketing though. It’s expensive and for a company that lacks a lot of capital, they have to rely on word of mouth.

Well I have Yakuza Kiwami on the backlog so they have my support...
ozzyoscy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SirMilkSheikh)
I can’t blame Sega for their lack of marketing though. It’s expensive and for a company that lacks a lot of capital, they have to rely on word of mouth.
Sega are a global multi-billion dollar/yen company.

No excuse for multiple console failures and no one even knowing their games exist, despite being liked by critics and gamers. Advertising is step 1 of making money and their refusal to do so is baffling.

That the likes of Sony have to come along to make Yakuza sell by telling people it exists should be embarrassing.
Dez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Not a game as such but the Nintendo Switch. When it was first announced/launched I was pretty skeptical about it. I couldn't see how a low-powered handheld device would be able to compete with standard consoles yet alone PC gaming, the handheld aspect felt too gimmicky, and the game lineup was pretty thin on the ground.

Well, a few months later I decided to go for it (Splatoon 2 was hard to resist), and I was wrong on all three counts. The low specs clearly don't hamper it to any significant level (although the lack of support for Unreal engine is a bit pants). Going handheld is more useful and convenient than I would've expected and works so seamlessly with all the games I've tried. And the game library, while still low on quantity absolutely blitzes it in terms of quality. There haven't been many great games for the Switch yet, but the ones we've had so far (Breath of the Wild, Odyssey, MK8, aforementioned Splatoon 2) have been seriously fantastic and well worth the initial spend in my opinion.
Boiboiboi111
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
> Metal Gear Solid V
> The Witcher 3
> Horizon Zero Dawn
> The Last of Us
> Batman: Arkham Knight
> Assassin’s Creed Origins
> Uncharted 4 & The Nathan Drake Collection
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
xcharliie3x
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Killing Floor 2. Only bought it because my bf was obsessed with it and wanted someone to play with. I said i would buy it but would probably only play it once. Got obsessed myself and now hassle him to play with me. Its a good game and its cheap
noggins
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
Demon's Souls
Heavy Rain
Gravity Crash
Just Cause 2
Tokyo Jungle
Catherine
Mafia 2
Flower
Outland
Payday
Rage
REZ
Ico
noggins
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
and also Resident Evil 4. Nobody saw this classic on the horizon. Most the RE games released in the run up to it were rubbish, plus it came out a little before you could look up examples of video gameplay. I still think the puzzles are at toddler level though :P
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (40)
13.65%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (45)
15.36%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (54)
18.43%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (118)
40.27%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (16)
5.46%
No particular grades needed (20)
6.83%