The Student Room Group

Maths A level early

currently in year 13.

Sat some A2 exams in year 12. Only sitting 1 A2 exam this year.

so only doing chemistry + biology + 1 maths exam this summer

most unis say this is not a problem, and I don't need to do AS FM to make up for taking exams early.

I have offers from unis this year but i am worried that if I take a gap year and reapply I will not be accepted seeing as the current year 12s will be sitting maths as a linear A level.

They haven't said it's an issue but I'm just worried that I will reapply for a different course and because most other people applying will have to sit it ALL in year 13, whereas I sat it mostly in year 13, I won't meet the requirements.

Can the requirements change between now and when people apply in autumn 2018. Should I be concerned? Will they accept that I am in the year above which is why I do not have maths as a linear A level?

Advice pls.
Reply 1
It's a Maths A level and the same one that other people finishing this year will get. It is absolutely fine.
I would caution that some universities (particularly Oxbridge/LSE/similar and most medical schools) do not like students taking A-levels early and then having an "easy" year with only one or two exams to prepare for. The mentioned exceptions usually expect students to sit a full set of three A-level exams together for entry (i.e. in terms of the "old" A-levels taking the normal complement of modular exams for an A2).

Most other universities and courses however won't have an issue, but if any of the above are your goals you may want to contact some of the universities you want to apply for and see what they think, at the very least. I would note this is usually something medical schools seem to be very unsupportive of, and they usually specifically address this case in their admissions FAQs.
Original post by A*my
currently in year 13.

Sat some A2 exams in year 12. Only sitting 1 A2 exam this year.

so only doing chemistry + biology + 1 maths exam this summer

most unis say this is not a problem, and I don't need to do AS FM to make up for taking exams early.

I have offers from unis this year but i am worried that if I take a gap year and reapply I will not be accepted seeing as the current year 12s will be sitting maths as a linear A level.

They haven't said it's an issue but I'm just worried that I will reapply for a different course and because most other people applying will have to sit it ALL in year 13, whereas I sat it mostly in year 13, I won't meet the requirements.

Can the requirements change between now and when people apply in autumn 2018. Should I be concerned? Will they accept that I am in the year above which is why I do not have maths as a linear A level?

Advice pls.

I'm sure it will be fine as long as you've completed all your maths modules before the end of the year. There will be students older than you applying who will have modular A-levels. Not to mention people with even more unusual educations.

Just be wary that some top unis (especially Oxbridge) want students to have completed three simultaneous A-levels to show that they can cope with the workload. But if you already have offers, I'm assuming you're fine on that front.
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
I would caution that some universities (particularly Oxbridge/LSE/similar and most medical schools) do not like students taking A-levels early and then having an "easy" year with only one or two exams to prepare for. The mentioned exceptions usually expect students to sit a full set of three A-level exams together for entry (i.e. in terms of the "old" A-levels taking the normal complement of modular exams for an A2).

Most other universities and courses however won't have an issue, but if any of the above are your goals you may want to contact some of the universities you want to apply for and see what they think, at the very least. I would note this is usually something medical schools seem to be very unsupportive of, and they usually specifically address this case in their admissions FAQs.

I don't know what course I want to do. I have applied for natural sciences but was also considering medicine. Birmingham is the only one who has an issue. None of the others have said they have an issue. I sent them an email, they said they didn't have an issue with it but then I looked on there website afterwards and it seems the website says "It is required that all examinations at each level be taken in one sitting. Unfortunately we are unable to consider examinations taken early or resit examinations." so yeah i have a lot of mixed messages. I don't want to try to apply for medicine in a gap year, get rejected, and have to apply for another course/ take another gap year.
Reply 5
Original post by artful_lounger

If it was an issue, do you know whether taking AS further maths this year help? that kind of proves I can manage the workload however, many unis say that don't consider AS grades. I learnt all the stuff, but was a bit down in the autumn term at school (mainly because I don't know what I want to do in the future, which is stressful when everyone else knows). I haven't revised yet and i need to withdraw at the start of next week if I do not want to do the AS FM. I don't want to jeopardise getting good grades in all my A2 exams, but I also want to leave my options open for any courses I'll be applying for next year.
Original post by A*my
I don't know what course I want to do. I have applied for natural sciences but was also considering medicine. Birmingham is the only one who has an issue. None of the others have said they have an issue. I sent them an email, they said they didn't have an issue with it but then I looked on there website afterwards and it seems the website says "It is required that all examinations at each level be taken in one sitting. Unfortunately we are unable to consider examinations taken early or resit examinations." so yeah i have a lot of mixed messages. I don't want to try to apply for medicine in a gap year, get rejected, and have to apply for another course/ take another gap year.

Given the prospect of reapplying to medicine, I would suggest you enquire specifically about the medical courses at the universities you're interested to see what they think - as different courses have different perspectives. You may want to see if you can pick up another A-level for this year if that's the case, but you'll probably need to get quite a lot of tutoring etc and it'll likely be very intensive for you...although that's not necessarily bad preparation for medicine, there is the chance it'll negatively affect your performance in your other options.

It may be more prudent to go into NatSci as you planned and then apply for GEM if you want to do medicine at this point :/
Original post by A*my
If it was an issue, do you know whether taking AS further maths this year help? that kind of proves I can manage the workload however, many unis say that don't consider AS grades. I learnt all the stuff, but was a bit down in the autumn term at school (mainly because I don't know what I want to do in the future, which is stressful when everyone else knows). I haven't revised yet and i need to withdraw at the start of next week if I do not want to do the AS FM. I don't want to jeopardise getting good grades in all my A2 exams, but I also want to leave my options open for any courses I'll be applying for next year.

I'd suggest getting in touch with the course providers directly (for medicine, as above) to enquire about this. It might be an acceptable compromise for some. Also there may be some medical schools who are less strict on this, but I imagine they would be few and far between if they are around. Do bear in mind the note above about performance in your other courses that you've touched on though...picking up another subject to go into medicine is meaningless if you can't then get the grades for medicine anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest