The Student Room Group

How do I maximise my OCR Computer Science GCSE grade?

I'm at a 7/8 for Computer Science, and I'm just wondering how I can get that up to a 9, since there are no previous exam papers to work with. Seeing what you guys do for CompSci would be useful as well

Scroll to see replies

Original post by howtochangename
I'm at a 7/8 for Computer Science, and I'm just wondering how I can get that up to a 9, since there are no previous exam papers to work with. Seeing what you guys do for CompSci would be useful as well

-Get the cgp past papers, there are 2 for unit 1 and 2 for unit 2 and they are really helpful
-In my opinion do NOT use the cgp revision guide as it doesnt cover everything and can be confusing, I used the PG online textbook to make notes and I think that it is really helpful, it also has many questions taken from previous papers at the end of each chapter
-There are also lots of computING papers (not comp sci) which use computer science-like questions, try using them or looking at the mark schemes to see which types of answers are needed
-Teachers have access to additional specimen papers, ask if they could use some questions in lesson or in a test along with model answers
-one of the most important things is the wording of your answer - if it is not worded correctly you may not get marks even if it is right

I hope that helps :smile: In my last 2 comp sci tests/mocks i got 9s and I'm predicted a 9 at gcse, hopefully this year the grade boundaries will be low because of the cancelled NEA !!

oh also watch craig n dave videos on youtube
Original post by oksafebye
-Get the cgp past papers, there are 2 for unit 1 and 2 for unit 2 and they are really helpful
-In my opinion do NOT use the cgp revision guide as it doesnt cover everything and can be confusing, I used the PG online textbook to make notes and I think that it is really helpful, it also has many questions taken from previous papers at the end of each chapter
-There are also lots of computING papers (not comp sci) which use computer science-like questions, try using them or looking at the mark schemes to see which types of answers are needed
-Teachers have access to additional specimen papers, ask if they could use some questions in lesson or in a test along with model answers
-one of the most important things is the wording of your answer - if it is not worded correctly you may not get marks even if it is right

I hope that helps :smile: In my last 2 comp sci tests/mocks i got 9s and I'm predicted a 9 at gcse, hopefully this year the grade boundaries will be low because of the cancelled NEA !!

PG online textbook?

Thanks! Do you think its worth buying now?
ii got an A* last year by just taking notes in lesson and three days before the exam I started to memorise the revision guide.
As for the past papers, do the old spec questions because the content is still the same!
Reply 7

do you have any links to these papers by any chance
you must be stupid !! it isn't even that hard...
Original post by dhsdsygysdgsydg
you must be stupid !! it isn't even that hard...

You must have a lot of friends
beat the mother bro works amazing!! even tho she is 96 years old HAHAHA. It only keep her healthy <3
!

CGP Guide DOES and ALWAYS has covered EVERYTHING as its written directly from the spec, for all subjects at all levels.
Original post by GVqwWHJC1GRTm43
CGP Guide DOES and ALWAYS has covered EVERYTHING as its written directly from the spec, for all subjects at all levels.

well i do not like it and neither does my teacher so i don’t use it!! if you want to use it then go ahead nobody’s stopping you!!
well i do not like it and neither does my teacher so i don’t use it!! if you want to use it then go ahead nobody’s stopping you!!

I didnt say that anything is stopping me from using it, im just saying that its false to say that it doesnt have everything in the spec
I didnt say that anything is stopping me from using it, im just saying that its false to say that it doesnt have everything in the spec

i said “in my opinion” by the way!! the person who made the thread asked for advice and i gave them advice so what is the problem! if you think the cgp guide is good then say that !! but IN MY OPINION it is not
i said “in my opinion” by the way!! the person who made the thread asked for advice and i gave them advice so what is the problem! if you think the cgp guide is good then say that !! but IN MY OPINION it is not

No, because something not having certain things is completely objective, and therefore you cant have an "opinion" on it, either it has or it hasnt.
No, because something not having certain things is completely objective, and therefore you cant have an "opinion" on it, either it has or it hasnt.

that’s your opinion
computer science tutor on youtube

I say no more.
oh also watch craig n dave videos on youtube

how the hell does anyone watch those guys? i cant watch 5 minutes before falling asleep

I swear CGP Books are filled with to much information. Everytime I look at the book I get sleepy

Quick Reply

Latest