Is ANYONE else doing Edexcel A Level Psychology? Watch

TrustTheProcess
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I can't be the only one. Basically myself and pretty sure the rest of my class are struggling to get to grips with this subject, and this ranges from evaluation to answer structuring. Does anyone have any tips or anything for these? Little over 2 months until the exam and I swear it will be the death of me xD
TSR Jessica
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.
catladyrevell
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
yes i am , look on the website called psychology rocks i found it very useful for issues and debates
StormyOcean
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I did it and somehow survived! Even managed to get an A! I always found when evaluation it was important to do a description first and then use a structure to form an evaluation. I know we used SODA for theories but I cant remember what we used for studies sorry! I still have lots of powerpoints, example essays and other resources so I might be able to give you some useful resources

S - supporting evidence
O - opposing evidence
D - different theory
A - applications
90'S
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by TrustTheProcess)
I can't be the only one. Basically myself and pretty sure the rest of my class are struggling to get to grips with this subject, and this ranges from evaluation to answer structuring. Does anyone have any tips or anything for these? Little over 2 months until the exam and I swear it will be the death of me xD
Hi there dont worry you stll have time if you want you can dm me your nnumber i will add you on our whatsappy group for psychology where we help eachother send materials etc . if you are interested send me your number
catladyrevell
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 90'S)
Hi there dont worry you stll have time if you want you can dm me your nnumber i will add you on our whatsappy group for psychology where we help eachother send materials etc . if you are interested send me your number
i don't have whatsapp is there a facebook group chat or anything?
TrustTheProcess
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Yeah that could be really useful! I could dm you my Email?
(Original post by PsychStudySarah)
I did it and somehow survived! Even managed to get an A! I always found when evaluation it was important to do a description first and then use a structure to form an evaluation. I know we used SODA for theories but I cant remember what we used for studies sorry! I still have lots of powerpoints, example essays and other resources so I might be able to give you some useful resources

S - supporting evidence
O - opposing evidence
D - different theory
A - applications
StormyOcean
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by TrustTheProcess)
Yeah that could be really useful! I could dm you my Email?
Sure!
catladyrevell
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have also sent you my email
(Original post by PsychStudySarah)
Sure!
fauziaa
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm doing the Edexcel spec too, it's really annoying because we're on a new spec so there's hardly any past papers and then it seems like no one does the edexcel spec either so there's a lack of resources.
My teachers have taught us GRAVE to evaluate studies, G - generalisability R - reliability A - application V - validity (external/internal) and E - ethics. I'm struggling with issues and debates mostly, if anyone has any tips then please do share
bookloverlolly
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’m in my AS year. We use RAVES (Reliability, Application, Validity, Ethics, Sample) for the evaluation of studies, CARS (Credibility, Application, Supporting evidence, Refuting evidence) for the evaluation of theories, APRC (Aim, Procedure, Results, Conclusion) for the description of studies and claims + components for the description of theories...

Honestly, I’m more nervous about getting all of the content onto notes and flashcards due to the sheer amount. The material isn’t particularly bad. Also worried about Paper 3 but that’s something to worry about in summer. Any advice please?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
catladyrevell
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
has anyone got any advice for learning studies that support a disorder/content , for example learning the supporting studies for schizophrenia?
fauziaa
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by bookloverlolly)
I’m in my AS year. We use RAVES (Reliability, Application, Validity, Ethics, Sample) for the evaluation of studies, CARS (Credibility, Application, Supporting evidence, Refuting evidence) for the evaluation of theories, APRC (Aim, Procedure, Results, Conclusion) for the description of studies and claims + components for the description of theories...

Honestly, I’m more nervous about getting all of the content onto notes and flashcards due to the sheer amount. The material isn’t particularly bad. Also worried about Paper 3 but that’s something to worry about in summer. Any advice please?
I didn't make flashcards for the content, I made my own notes and then just learned the notes using mindmaps or look, cover, say, write, check. It worked at AS as I got an A, but the content in year 13 is so much more so I'm just making sure i'm constantly recalling the content so I don't forget it. Also, if you're in year 12, aren't you only doing 2 papers then?
fauziaa
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by catladyrevell)
has anyone got any advice for learning studies that support a disorder/content , for example learning the supporting studies for schizophrenia?
I think simplifying the content as much as possible before you learn it really helps, also just being able to link everything and writing out the supporting evidence's/opposing for each study or theory. I can send you my notes if that helps.
bookloverlolly
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by fauziaa)
I didn't make flashcards for the content, I made my own notes and then just learned the notes using mindmaps or look, cover, say, write, check. It worked at AS as I got an A, but the content in year 13 is so much more so I'm just making sure i'm constantly recalling the content so I don't forget it. Also, if you're in year 12, aren't you only doing 2 papers then?
I’m not very good with mindmaps- I hate making them and much prefer flashcards (which have worked well in the past). You’re right about recall as there’s just a LOT, and I know it gets worse. I am making my own notes and will learn from those as well as flashcards.

You’re right- there are two papers for AS but I’m worried about the year 13 stuff in the back of my mind. It’s different to my other subject worries for year 13 (I take Maths, Chemistry and Physics alongside it). For those subjects, it’s more about the increase in difficulty of the content as the Chemistry and Maths as all of the papers are identical in style to first year, except those paper 3s ask anything from papers 1 and 2. Physics paper 3 is a practical paper but the questions are similar in style to practical questions in other papers (both at AS and A2, I think) and are covered during the compulsory practicals I have completed this year and the ones I have next year. For all of those subjects, the new content is much more difficult but there’s only a few more topics per paper.

Paper 3 psychology is completely different to papers 1 and 2. Issues and debates for everything covered before and after 1st year, longer questions than anything I’ve dealt with before at both GCSE and A Level (biggest I’ve dealt with is 8 markers in RE), new methods, the in depth analysis of a study. I have no idea on how I’d do any of that. It’s the sheer amount and the new style. And paper 1 and 2 have twice the amount of content than AS (sinceAS papers 1 and 2 are combined into paper 1, right?).

I know it’s something to worry about after my internal exams in May but it’s daunting.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
fauziaa
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by bookloverlolly)
I’m not very good with mindmaps- I hate making them and much prefer flashcards (which have worked well in the past). You’re right about recall as there’s just a LOT, and I know it gets worse. I am making my own notes and will learn from those as well as flashcards.

You’re right- there are two papers for AS but I’m worried about the year 13 stuff in the back of my mind. It’s different to my other subject worries for year 13 (I take Maths, Chemistry and Physics alongside it). For those subjects, it’s more about the increase in difficulty of the content as the Chemistry and Maths as all of the papers are identical in style to first year, except those paper 3s ask anything from papers 1 and 2. Physics paper 3 is a practical paper but the questions are similar in style to practical questions in other papers (both at AS and A2, I think) and are covered during the compulsory practicals I have completed this year and the ones I have next year. For all of those subjects, the new content is much more difficult but there’s only a few more topics per paper.

Paper 3 psychology is completely different to papers 1 and 2. Issues and debates for everything covered before and after 1st year, longer questions than anything I’ve dealt with before at both GCSE and A Level (biggest I’ve dealt with is 8 markers in RE), new methods, the in depth analysis of a study. I have no idea on how I’d do any of that. It’s the sheer amount and the new style. And paper 1 and 2 have twice the amount of content than AS (sinceAS papers 1 and 2 are combined into paper 1, right?).

I know it’s something to worry about after my internal exams in May but it’s daunting.
I take psychology, biology and chemistry. I understand how you're worrying about how much more content you have to learn in Psychology in Year 13 but personally I think Chemistry is the hardest as in Psychology the content you learn in Year 13 is pretty much similar to AS, only difference is the A2 content everything has to be much better applied whereas in Chemistry, the content becomes more difficult to understand at A2 (i think anyway). Also, Psychology becomes much more interesting at A2 and everything starts to make much more sense as I can link topics together much better now then I did at AS. I didn't even do that well at AS, I guess I just got lucky because the grade boundaries were so low.
I don't think you should worry too much about A2 Psychology, as long as you manage to do well at AS, A2 will be a breeze lol.
catladyrevell
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think simplifying the content as much as possible before you learn it really helps, also just being able to link everything and writing out the supporting evidence's/opposing for each study or theory. I can send you my notes if that helps.
yes please that would be helpful
fauziaa
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by catladyrevell)
yes please that would be helpful
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AgEcc_GUzJzGkSfskDZPLa5ggUHI

If you click on this and then click on clinical, scroll down to schizophrenia. My notes might be different to what you do as different contemporary studies etc. Hope it helps
catladyrevell
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AgEcc_GUzJzGkSfskDZPLa5ggUHI

If you click on this and then click on clinical, scroll down to schizophrenia. My notes might be different to what you do as different contemporary studies etc. Hope it helps
thank you so much this is very helpful!
JORDANPARKES
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 90'S)
07933078874 I’m year 13 got my exams soon would help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (7)
35%
The paper was reasonable (10)
50%
Not feeling great about that exam (2)
10%
It was TERRIBLE (1)
5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise