How to go about planning/writing a critical essay in English (N5)

Watch
A1renegade
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I missed the timed essay in class so I have to do it on monday and I have no clue what to write about and how to plan it out. The novel I'm studying is 'Of Mice and Men' and the questions we have been given were:

'Choose a novel or short story where the writer creates a realistic or convincing character'

and

'Choose a novel or short story explores a theme which you find interesting'

I have absolutely no clue how I managed get an alright mark in the prelim for this.
WestDragon
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by A1renegade)
I missed the timed essay in class so I have to do it on monday and I have no clue what to write about and how to plan it out. The novel I'm studying is 'Of Mice and Men' and the questions we have been given were:

'Choose a novel or short story where the writer creates a realistic or convincing character'

and

'Choose a novel or short story explores a theme which you find interesting'

I have absolutely no clue how I managed get an alright mark in the prelim for this.
Oh my goodness. We’re doing the exact same novel, and I’ve done both of those essays. All I’d suggest is to memorise your introduction, get some good quotes and practise quotes for different sections of the essay as characterisation discussions or themes can go a long with in each essay. Finally, practise writing essays in your own exam conditions. If you set out a nice plain desk, some time and practise working to that timescale, it can help. Anyways! I’ll be on more tomorrow and if necessary can help out with of mice and men quotes and so on, seeing as we’re in similar shoes
A1renegade
Rep:
(Original post by WestDragon)
Oh my goodness. We’re doing the exact same novel, and I’ve done both of those essays. All I’d suggest is to memorise your introduction, get some good quotes and practise quotes for different sections of the essay as characterisation discussions or themes can go a long with in each essay. Finally, practise writing essays in your own exam conditions. If you set out a nice plain desk, some time and practise working to that timescale, it can help. Anyways! I’ll be on more tomorrow and if necessary can help out with of mice and men quotes and so on, seeing as we’re in similar shoes
What kind of things do I need to include in the introduction? And what could I write about in each paragraph? Some examples of quotes would be great too. Thanks
WestDragon
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
What kind of things do I need to include in the introduction? And what could I write about in each paragraph? Some examples of quotes would be great too. Thanks
Introduction:
Spoiler:
Show

- Name of Text: Of Mice and Men
- Genre: Novel
- Author: John Steinbeck
- Summary of the Novel as a Whole
- Reference the Question that has been set, for example:
"Steinbeck effectively uses characterisation, theme and ideas to develop Crooks, a character that affects the reader emotionally."

Quotations:
Pastebin Link

You can expand on these points, they just provide good suggestions and points.
Dependent on the question, the quotes can be useful.

Techniques (fairly good to write about):
- Characterisation
- Theme
- Turning Point
- Ideas
- Setting

There's quite a range of quotations that can be used for each - you don't need to remember the whole document I sent, just pick out which ones are appropriate!
A1renegade
Rep:
(Original post by WestDragon)
Introduction:
Spoiler:
Show

- Name of Text: Of Mice and Men
- Genre: Novel
- Author: John Steinbeck
- Summary of the Novel as a Whole
- Reference the Question that has been set, for example:
"Steinbeck effectively uses characterisation, theme and ideas to develop Crooks, a character that affects the reader emotionally."

Quotations:
Pastebin Link

You can expand on these points, they just provide good suggestions and points.
Dependent on the question, the quotes can be useful.

Techniques (fairly good to write about):
- Characterisation
- Theme
- Turning Point
- Ideas
- Setting

There's quite a range of quotations that can be used for each - you don't need to remember the whole document I sent, just pick out which ones are appropriate!
Thank you so much! This'll be really helpful for future revision as well. I was also just looking at some past papers and all the essay questions have something about theme or characters in them so I'm slightly less worried about the final exam.
WestDragon
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Thank you so much! This'll be really helpful for future revision as well. I was also just looking at some past papers and all the essay questions have something about theme or characters in them so I'm slightly less worried about the final exam.
Glad that I could help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.46%
Okay (114)
29.16%
A bit lacking (148)
37.85%
Not good at all (92)
23.53%

Watched Threads