This discussion is closed.
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
:wavey:

Here's a thread for anyone doing SQA Higher Human Biology If you want to discuss the exam, your assignment or anything else to do with the course, then you're in the right place

How is everyone's exam prep going? And how are assignments going?
eri_r
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am really struggling to remember everything!! Any tips??
bwilliamson
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Name:  B41C5508-D483-4A3A-AB6D-7297587D5E64.jpg.jpeg
Views: 246
Size:  39.1 KB

Anyone know how to work this out?
username3874294
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
CO= SV X HR
heart rate is how long it takes for the heart to complete one beat so like lowest to highest to lowest again (systolic and diastolic). so it starts systole at 0.05 sec and gets to the end of diastole at 0.45 so the complete difference is 0.4 and then you do 60/0.4 to get how many beats per minute.
stroke volume is the difference in systole and diastole which is 160-75
so CO= SV X HR
= 85 X 150
= 12750
bwilliamson
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks so much, that’s very helpful!
username3874294
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by bwilliamson)
Thanks so much, that’s very helpful!
You're very welcome! I am so scared for the exam i feel very underprepared ;( I'm also terrified for chemistry
bwilliamson
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’m so scared too! Luckily, I don’t do chemistry!
I’m hoping the bio paper isn’t the worst as I am aiming for an A.
username3874294
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah I'm not sure how the exam will be. I'm aiming for an A too! Have you finished the course yet?
bwilliamson
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
We still have a little bit of unit 4 to complete, what about you? Do you think your assignment is good?
username3874294
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
We started with unit 4 then went back to 1. We're still to finish unit 3 and although it's really interesting, we're not properly being taught it which is quite frustrating. In all honesty my assignment wasn't great and I did it on IVF. It was very last minute and had to wing it really. And you? How do you think your assignment is?
LuciaCatherine
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by aannaduffy)
CO= SV X HR
heart rate is how long it takes for the heart to complete one beat so like lowest to highest to lowest again (systolic and diastolic). so it starts systole at 0.05 sec and gets to the end of diastole at 0.45 so the complete difference is 0.4 and then you do 60/0.4 to get how many beats per minute.
stroke volume is the difference in systole and diastole which is 160-75
so CO= SV X HR
= 85 X 150
= 12750
Thank you so much from me as well! I've always struggled with these questions
bwilliamson
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I find Unit 3 quite interesting but I feel that the detail is quite a lot to understand. Yeah, we are not being properly taught unit 4 either. My assignment was on IVF too, I thought it wasn’t too bad - it could have been better though. Really worried about the essay question in the exam!
_nim1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by aannaduffy)
You're very welcome! I am so scared for the exam i feel very underprepared ;( I'm also terrified for chemistry
Same worried for them both😪 luckily they’re the last two for me so hopefully I’ll be more prepared
_nim1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I did my assignment on cardiovascular diseases and it hopefully went well, we spent a lot of time on it. How come you’re not being taught unit 3 properly btw? We finished it 2 days before the holidays, went through it really quick. My teacher said we’re best off just learning all the definitions for unit 3 as there isn’t much they can ask
bwilliamson
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
We spent more time on our assignments than we should have which meant that we are running out of time to finish the course. So we have been given hand outs with all of the notes on them to read and learn in our own time.
username3874294
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That sounds reasonable like learning the definitions. My school are just a little bit unorganised so some areas are more prioritised than others. I have no idea how to study, how are you studying?
bwilliamson
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just highlighting and rewriting out some parts. I really don’t know what the best way is to learn it all either, it’s proving difficult 😬
username2761666
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i'm so far behind because my teacher doesn't let us take notes so i have to basically teach myself the course, I managed to get an A1 in the prelim so i'm hoping i will be able to produce the same level of work in the final exam, it'll be hard though cause i don't understand unit 1 at all
bwilliamson
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by rach-atl)
i'm so far behind because my teacher doesn't let us take notes so i have to basically teach myself the course, I managed to get an A1 in the prelim so i'm hoping i will be able to produce the same level of work in the final exam, it'll be hard though cause i don't understand unit 1 at all
The bright red text book is brilliant! If you don’t have it already, I highly recommend!
I’m so nervous about the exam.
Maz_17
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by eri_r)
I am really struggling to remember everything!! Any tips??
I was told by my lecturer to go over past papers till I was sick of them. I have been following this method and so far so good.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (105)
60.69%
No (35)
20.23%
Not sure (33)
19.08%

Watched Threads