The Student Room Group

Weirdest A-level combinations people have gotten in with?

Off the top of my head, one of my friends got in for Law with Maths, Physics and Art, and another got into History of Art with Economics, Politics and French.

Does anyone have any weirder ones?

Scroll to see replies

Physics and Philosophy

I don't think that it's very weird, but everyone pulls a face when I say that I'm doing it. :smile:
CookieDough8
Physics and Philosophy

I don't think that it's very weird, but everyone pulls a face when I say that I'm doing it. :smile:

Whoops sorry, my original post was phrased absolutely awfully. Have changed it to ask the question I meant now. :wink:
Oh, I see lol :biggrin:

Maths is actually a pretty standard A level for law applicants, though its not necessary in the least.

I've got Physics with History (though I'm also going to do Philosophy...)
Or Philosophy with Chemistry/Physics/Maths
Reply 4
Well I did French, English Lit, Maths and Chemistry and have since had offers for both Chemistry and Languages.....:rolleyes:
Reply 5
French, Computing, Maths, Business Studies.

For MML.
I do Latin, English Lit/Lang and Physics and got an offer for Classics. :smile:

I really don't know why I did Physics...:rolleyes:
I really don't know why I did Physics...
it's an easy A? :p:
made_of_fail
it's an easy A? :p:

aahahahhahahaha
hahahahha
hahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahhahah

its regarded the hardest a level... worse than maths :s-smilie:
Reply 9
Epitomessence
Off the top of my head, one of my friends got in for Law with Maths, Physics and Art, and another got into History of Art with Economics, Politics and French.

Does anyone have any weirder ones?

TBH, they are not really 'weird' combinations. I'd imagine alot of people applying for law at top universities have subjects like physics and maths and economics, politics and french have quite strong links to art history.
Stacy_T
TBH, they are not really 'weird' combinations. I'd imagine alot of people applying for law at top universities have subjects like physics and maths and economics, politics and french have quite strong links to art history.

Like the calculations of the litres of paint and canvas size as well as the physics of the picture hanging on the wall :biggrin: ?
Geometry certainly has plenty of connections to fine art - read Pedoe's 'Geometry and the Liberal Arts'

The philosophy balances it out somewhat, but I can't imagine there'll be anyone else apart from me reading maths who studied english, history and history of art.
Reply 12
gotten isn't really good English, unless you are american :biggrin:

My A levels weren't too weird- English Lit, Spanish and Politics (history AS and A level General Studies) . I think they are pretty standard for law.
Reply 13
hsn
aahahahhahahaha
hahahahha
hahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahhahah

Definitely! :rolleyes:
I don't think they're weird for the course I applied to do, but a few people have commented on the fact that my A-levels don't really tie in all that well with each other: I took Art, Biology, English Literature and Film Studies, and applied to study English.

My old English teacher had the weirdest combination I've ever heard of - he got AAA in Biology, Physics and Chemistry (he was aspiring to be a doctor)... and then applied to Oxford to study English. :biggrin:
French, Politics, History, Maths and Further Maths for SPS :s-smilie:
hsn
aahahahhahahaha
hahahahha
hahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahhahah

Who exactly have you heard say that?

Most experts say Chemistry and Languages are the most difficult A Levels.

edit: Almost forgot.... Further Maths, too. Don't try and tell me that's easier than Physics.

I'll agree with Physics being harder then Maths, because in Physics I know they're fussy with the mark schemes, and you have to have pretty much exactly what's there, which is frustrating for the numerically strong people who understand but can't do the worded questions quite so well!! But it isn't the hardest at all.... just apply formualae :biggrin: Chem is harder, and languages examiners are so pedantic when they mark papers!!!

OP, as for weird A Level combinations, well I do English Lit, French, German, Maths, Further Maths (and General :rolleyes:)

and I've had offers ranging from English and Languages... to English and a Language, to 2 Languages..... not that strange :p:

Although I have an offer for European Social Political Studies :wink:
I did French, English and Cheistry and got in to do French and Spanish
Reply 18
hsn
aahahahhahahaha
hahahahha
hahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahhahah

I was told languages are the hardest A-levels, particularly Latin and German? Apparently German has the highest rate of drop-outs between AS and A2 because people find it too difficult?

A girl at my school wants to do Law and she does like Chemistry, Maths, Biology and Eco - I just find it strange she went down the Science-y route if she wants to do Law?!

I do English Lit. and 3 languages - I think it's pretty damn odd that I want to do languages at Uni. :p:
I got in with none, but thats because I already have a NC, ND and NQ in the subject field lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending