Not sure whether to retake A Level History coursework

Watch this thread
isty_123
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm retaking my A levels through self study at home and one of them is History, which has a coursework component. Due to me admittedly leaving this fairly late (which I take responsibility for) because I was prioritising revision, and also having almost zero support since September from the teacher who deals with the coursework (who I've emailed 8 times now and seen at least 3 times but he keeps ignoring me and not helping), I'm now not sure whether it's now worth retaking the coursework, which I was originally planning on doing, due to how late it is now. (My first exam is less than 3 months away on 9th June)

When I did my original piece of coursework last year I got 25/40, a mid C. I am aware this isn't amazing by any means, which is why I wanted to retake in this academic year. However a B last year was 27/40, and an A was 32/40. Going off these grade boundaries, say if I did retake the coursework which would take a very long time and got a solid B of for example 29/40 or scraped an A which is 32/40, I'd only be going up 4 or 7 marks when the entire A level is out of 200 marks. Therefore I'm not sure if the time invested into retaking my coursework now would be worth it, as the time that would go into coursework could be spent on revisieng for my History exams which make up 80% of the A level.

Also in the above paragraph, these mark increases would only happen in the first place if I wrote a very good piece of coursework in my retake. I would obviously aim to do this if I were to retake, but due to the teacher being ridiculously unsupportive, and the amount of time this would require, I'm not sure if retaking my coursework would be worth it now.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
EnchantedPizza
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by isty_123)
I'm retaking my A levels through self study at home and one of them is History, which has a coursework component. Due to me admittedly leaving this fairly late (which I take responsibility for) because I was prioritising revision, and also having almost zero support since September from the teacher who deals with the coursework (who I've emailed 8 times now and seen at least 3 times but he keeps ignoring me and not helping), I'm now not sure whether it's now worth retaking the coursework, which I was originally planning on doing, due to how late it is now. (My first exam is less than 3 months away on 9th June)

When I did my original piece of coursework last year I got 25/40, a mid C. I am aware this isn't amazing by any means, which is why I wanted to retake in this academic year. However a B last year was 27/40, and an A was 32/40. Going off these grade boundaries, say if I did retake the coursework which would take a very long time and got a solid B of for example 29/40 or scraped an A which is 32/40, I'd only be going up 4 or 7 marks when the entire A level is out of 200 marks. Therefore I'm not sure if the time invested into retaking my coursework now would be worth it, as the time that would go into coursework could be spent on revisieng for my History exams which make up 80% of the A level.

Also in the above paragraph, these mark increases would only happen in the first place if I wrote a very good piece of coursework in my retake. I would obviously aim to do this if I were to retake, but due to the teacher being ridiculously unsupportive, and the amount of time this would require, I'm not sure if retaking my coursework would be worth it now.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

You have a bit over 2 months until the first exams hit. You have to consider the immense effort of thinking of a question, researching, finding the right books, getting historians views, getting sources, planning your essay and then finally writing your essay.

It may be possible but at the cost of severely hampering your revision which in my view, for only 20% of the course, is simply not worth it. I would only consider it if history was the only A-Level that you were retaking.
ReeceyL
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I always remember my A-Level History teacher saying never to worry about coursework to much as the exams were way more important and he was right. A C is a decent grade and you might as well put your focus on revising for the exams. Especially given the absolute pain in the neck coursework can be with all the things you have to do as the person above mentioned.
isty_123
Rep:
(Original post by EnchantedPizza)
You have a bit over 2 months until the first exams hit. You have to consider the immense effort of thinking of a question, researching, finding the right books, getting historians views, getting sources, planning your essay and then finally writing your essay.

It may be possible but at the cost of severely hampering your revision which in my view, for only 20% of the course, is simply not worth it. I would only consider it if history was the only A-Level that you were retaking.
(Original post by ReeceyL)
I always remember my A-Level History teacher saying never to worry about coursework to much as the exams were way more important and he was right. A C is a decent grade and you might as well put your focus on revising for the exams. Especially given the absolute pain in the neck coursework can be with all the things you have to do as the person above mentioned.
Thank you very much guys I've decided to carry forward my original coursework mark, just need to smash the revision now!
EnchantedPizza
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Thank you very much guys I've decided to carry forward my original coursework mark, just need to smash the revision now!
Good luck!
What topics are you doing?
isty_123
Rep:
(Original post by EnchantedPizza)
Good luck!
What topics are you doing?
Thank you! And really sorry for the late reply I've been really busy over the last 2 weeks!

The topics I'm doing for A Level History are:

1) The Early Stuarts and the Origins of the Civil War 1603-1660
2) Russia 1894-1941

Those are the year 12 topics and my year 13 topic is

3) Civil Rights in the USA 1865-1992

Wbu which topics did you study for A Level History?
EnchantedPizza
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Thank you! And really sorry for the late reply I've been really busy over the last 2 weeks!

The topics I'm doing for A Level History are:

1) The Early Stuarts and the Origins of the Civil War 1603-1660
2) Russia 1894-1941

Those are the year 12 topics and my year 13 topic is

3) Civil Rights in the USA 1865-1992

Wbu which topics did you study for A Level History?
No problem.
I'm unfortunately having to retake my A Levels but I'm studying the following on the OCR exam board.

England: 1199 - 1272
Russia 1894 - 1941

and for A2

Rebellion and Disorder under the Tudors: 1485 - 1603
username2281157
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Can't you just improve upon the one you did last year?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (64)
16%
The paper was reasonable (194)
48.5%
Not feeling great about that exam... (100)
25%
It was TERRIBLE (42)
10.5%

Watched Threads