Turn on thread page Beta

I am really pissed off... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So my roommate sleeps at 2 in the morning and then decides to only sleep for 4 hours. I then struggled to sleep myself, I have tried an eye mask but that didn't work, I use earplugs and they do somewhat help with the noise, I have tried listening to music, also tried white noise, those didn't really work. I have confronted him before but he is adamant that I have to get used to it and that it is his right to be in the room studying, then when I said I could adapt to an extent and perhaps we could negotiate, he then replied that I shouldn't need to adapt, which makes no f****** sense as I am trying to resolve the issue. He also has tendencies of not flushing the toilet, not putting down the toilet seat and chewing as loud as possible as many Asians tend to eat. What do I do, constantly getting my sleep interrupted is putting me in an even worse state of mind and too be honest I am starting to hate the LSE?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TastyChicken)
    So my roommate sleeps at 2 in the morning and then decides to only sleep for 4 hours. I then struggled to sleep myself, I have tried an eye mask but that didn't work, I use earplugs and they do somewhat help with the noise, I have tried listening to music, also tried white noise, those didn't really work. I have confronted him before but he is adamant that I have to get used to it and that it is his right to be in the room studying, then when I said I could adapt to an extent and perhaps we could negotiate, he then replied that I shouldn't need to adapt, which makes no f****** sense as I am trying to resolve the issue. He also has tendencies of not flushing the toilet, not putting down the toilet seat and chewing as loud as possible as many Asians tend to eat. What do I do, constantly getting my sleep interrupted is putting me in an even worse state of mind and too be honest I am starting to hate the LSE?
    If he wants to study at stupid o'clock in the morning I'm pretty sure there will be buildings open at the uni for him to do so, it's not fair to do it in the same room as you when you're trying to sleep.
    If you've already complained about this to him, (which you clearly have), I'd threaten him with complaining to the uni (if you live in uni accommodation), otherwise look into whether you can complain to the letting agent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stevo F)
    If he wants to study at stupid o'clock in the morning I'm pretty sure there will be buildings open at the uni for him to do so, it's not fair to do it in the same room as you when you're trying to sleep.
    If you've already complained about this to him, (which you clearly have), I'd threaten him with complaining to the uni (if you live in uni accommodation), otherwise look into whether you can complain to the letting agent.
    He is doing law and claims that it is his right be in the room whenever he wants to study, I don't understand how he doesn't see that activity affecting my sleep especially, is clearly a breach of his contract. I do live in a uni accommodation and could go to the wardens, my main concern is what he is going to do during the exam period, as I have had issues in the past where I politely asked him if he could go to bed earlier the day before I had a major exam, he didn't listen he stuck to his normal routine, up until 2 in the morning. Then he complains that he is exhausted and tired and takes these random 10 minutes power naps during the day, and thinks he can survive on 4 hours of sleep.

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    Use your biceps and challenge him to a sparring match. Whoever wins can decide the forthcoming procedures.
    It's working with Youtubers, it should work with you lot too...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CanIBeBae?)
    Use your biceps and challenge him to a sparring match. Whoever wins can decide the forthcoming procedures.
    It's working with Youtubers, it should work with you lot too...
    He is tiny, I could tear him apart and quite frankly I am tempted...

ReputationRep:
    He is tiny, I could tear him apart and quite frankly I am tempted...
    Hmmm, he can't practice law himself yet so I guess if you do that and get him to lose his court case his reputation will be tainted
    That will more or less ruin his future, so blackmail him with that

ReputationRep:
    Do not stew with anger, speak to the wardens!

If they have an ounce of humanity they will *at least* put you on a list for the next place that becomes available.

The old British 'suffer in silence', 'don't make a fuss', 'stiff upper lip' approach doesn't work in modern society.
    It's he who shouts loudest gets served first.

ReputationRep:
    How did it go?

ReputationRep:
    lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    How did it go?
    I have been managing to cope very well lately, but he definitely isn't budging whatsoever. As long as it's not affecting me I'm ok with it. He claims he will be able to study for 15 hours a day. And that having no vegetables or real food in his diet apart from white bread and biscuits is a sustainable way of living. I appreciate your concern though.

ReputationRep:
    I feel bad for you as I was in the same exact situation (well abit different) but instead with my sister. She used to leave the light on all night and I can’t go to sleep until there’s complete darkness and used to stay a wake until very late till like 3 in the morning luckily she got out of the habit so 😏 Try doing the same to him maybe or try complaining to someone above, about him or just move out (I don’t know how it all works 🤨) but I hope he stops doing it because I know for a fact that it drives the other person insane 🤪💛
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheEnchantress)
    I feel bad for you as I was in the same exact situation (well abit different) but instead with my sister. She used to leave the light on all night and I can’t go to sleep until there’s complete darkness and used to stay a wake until very late till like 3 in the morning luckily she got out of the habit so 😏 Try doing the same to him maybe or try complaining to someone above, about him or just move out (I don’t know how it all works 🤨) but I hope he stops doing it because I know for a fact that it drives the other person insane 🤪💛
    Thanks for your sympathy, I've trained myself to deal with it now. I have also noticed that even he can't deal with it. Occasionally throughout the day, he will slam himself onto the bed and just lie there for 10 minutes, makes little sense to me, but he is adamant that sitting at a desk for 12 hours a day will serve him well.

ReputationRep:
    .... He claims he will be able to study for 15 hours a day. And that having no vegetables or real food in his diet apart from white bread and biscuits is a sustainable way of living. I appreciate your concern though.
    Have you told the wardens you want to move?

You are missing being with a more compatible person, or having peace.

I get the impression this person doesn't want to change their ways and yours are very different so you will just niggle each other ... move on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    Have you told the wardens you want to move?

You are missing being with a more compatible person, or having peace.

I get the impression this person doesn't want to change their ways and yours are very different so you will just niggle each other ... move on.
    I'm flying away on Monday and only have another 3 weeks after that during exam period, so there isn't much point anymore. Perhaps I should have done something early on but it is very unlikely for me to have gotten a room change. Also, I haven't found any people that I am compatible with perhaps that is the nature of this university or I am just unapproachable. I think its a bit of both.
    He is also a lawyer so you can imagine what a pain that is to deal with. Seriously lawyers are ******* *****. He makes the most ridiculous of arguments such as that he has right of the room and I have to learn to deal with it. Then when I say I'm starting to adapt to it, he tells me that that is wrong and I should not be doing that. He also referred to women as "f***able creatures".
    I hardly ever talk to him now and just get on with my usual stuff, I'm over it. I accept that I am wrong on occasion and apologize for when I make a mistake, but in this scenario, I beg to differ.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.