The Student Room Group

BTEC Level 3 Applied Science?

Does anyone know what it’s like studying BTEC Applied Science and what you can go on to after the two years are over?
Original post by mk1212
Does anyone know what it’s like studying BTEC Applied Science and what you can go on to after the two years are over?

The BTEC Applied Science is actually a good course, I have completed the BTEC Extended Diploma in Applied Science and the course was full of activities mainly Lab experiments some of which you pick and do all the planning and you will be provided with the equipments you need. The course structure is typically 9 units on year 1 and 9-10 units on year 2 and all you literally have to do is stay on top of your work and assignments. Assignments can easily pile up on top of each other if you miss a deadline and don’t manage your time well with all the assignments. No exams in this course I suppose just assignments or maybe depending on the units picked by the School/college, there could possibly be some units with exams but as far as I can remember, we didn’t have any exams in that two year period. Bear in mind that this course is equivalent to and is a A Level standard course so you will have to work hard.

When it comes to careers and opportunities after this course, this course opens up a wide range of opportunities for students. You could go onto studying courses like Biomedical Science, Forensics, Pharmaceutical Science, Chemical Engineering, Petroleum and Natural Gas engineering, Nursing, and countless other university degrees. I also know some students who studied this course and now work as paramedics for NHS all around the UK. Make sure you do some research about what you want to do first before you go into this course because a lot has changed lately, some universities have decided to not accept this qualification as a whole for some courses or even ask for an A level alongside the BTEC which I think is completely wrong. I know some students who studied the BTEC, worked hard and did it to go onto university in September 2018 but the Universities they wanted to apply to decided to remove it from their entry requirements! Research what exactly you want to do after the course and keep an eye on the UCAS and what different universities are asking for but don’t worry about the course itself.
Reply 2
Thank you so much! The new specification for the Applied Science now includes 50% exams and I definitely want to go into Biomedical Science and I have looked at universities such as Oxford Brookes and Anglia Ruskin.
Hi @mk1212

Biomedical Science is a fantastic choice of degree and at Anglia Ruskin University our Biomedical Science BSc (Hons) is accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Science (IBMS). You will be studying at our Cambridge campus, and the course includes an optional placement year in industry.

This course will give you a thorough grounding in the theory and practice used by Biomedical Scientists to diagnose and treat diseases, and also prepares you for a career in a wide range of biomedical fields.

Check Biomedical Science for more info or do email us with any further questions: [email protected] We also have an Open Day at our Cambridge campus on 9 June that you can book onto now.

Thanks, Emma
Original post by mk1212
Thank you so much! The new specification for the Applied Science now includes 50% exams and I definitely want to go into Biomedical Science and I have looked at universities such as Oxford Brookes and Anglia Ruskin.

its like 44 percent

Quick Reply

Latest