Turn on thread page Beta

wearing my retainer part-time instead if full time watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've just had my braces taken off and I've now been given a retainer that I'm supposed to wear 24/7 for the next 6 months (except for eating, drinking and brushing). After that I'm supposed to wear them at night for another 6 months.
    Will it make that much difference if I only wear them at night now? I can't talk properly but I've got to deal with customers at work so it's going to be embarrassing and I probably won't eat unless I'm at home because taking them out is disgusting and I get spit everywhere...
    So will wearing them only at night make much of a difference, especially as I had a week's gap between getting my braces removed and getting my retainer?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Just wear them. I did that too and now my teeth are not even straight anymore. My bottom teeth are worse than before I got braces. However, I rarely even wore mine so, I dunno about night-only. Take my advice and just wear them, cos I'm regretting it deeeeeeeply.

I would wear it as much as u can and also would recommend wearing it every night for longer than 2 years I has my braces of 12 years ago. I'm now 28 wore retainer full time for 6 months and 6 months for bed my teeth were perfect now they have slowly moved and have become a bit crooked no where near as bad as before my brace was on but there has been quite a lot of movement my teeth are no longer perfectly straight like they was. hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    I'd wear them if I were you. I'm 17 and only just started orthodontic treatment; I had twin blocks in January and I've still got a bit of a lisp but nobody makes fun of me for it. I'm sure people at work would understand. I know 6 months is a bit of a long time but the lisp will go away eventually. It'll be worth it at the end.

ReputationRep:
    I was told full time for 3 days(maybe a week) and that that would be fine. Then only nights for a year, then every other night and slowly it would be about twice a week.
    Providing they don't feel extrememly tight when you put them in each evening, you are wearing them enough. If they feel tight then wear them more often.

EDIT: Just seen there was a weeks gap between getting the braces off and the retainer. That is ridiculous, you're teeth move so fast overnight when your braces get removed. I'd actually wear them for about two weeks full time then, and then see how tight they are when you put them in. Don't become too lenient because it's embarrassing to speak to customers or whatever. It will destroy all the hard work that's already gone in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jatsy768)
    I've just had my braces taken off and I've now been given a retainer that I'm supposed to wear 24/7 for the next 6 months (except for eating, drinking and brushing). After that I'm supposed to wear them at night for another 6 months.
    Will it make that much difference if I only wear them at night now? I can't talk properly but I've got to deal with customers at work so it's going to be embarrassing and I probably won't eat unless I'm at home because taking them out is disgusting and I get spit everywhere...
    So will wearing them only at night make much of a difference, especially as I had a week's gap between getting my braces removed and getting my retainer?
    Just take the advice of your dentist; you don't want to have your teeth shifting after all that work with having braces

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 17, 2018
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.