The Student Room Group

Head Boy Interview Speech : Opinions Please

So basically I've applied to be the head boy of my school and I'll be meeting the school board of head teachers and directors. The entire thing will last 10 minutes out of which I'll be given two minutes to convince them of why I should be the head boy of the school. Please read my speech and give opinions on how I could make it better. Also since the whole thing is 10 minutes long what could the board ask me in the last 8 minutes and how should I prepare for that.

"This room is full of teachers who have known me for quite some time, just as I have known them. However, when you look at any picture closely you see details which you can't otherwise. Today I'm here to highlight those details about me which will contribute to making me a proficient head boy for this school and a reliable leader for our student body.
I have been in this school since I was a little kid and now, in my final year of school, I can proudly say that there is not a day which I have truly wasted. From achieving academic goals to a rounded extracurricular schedule, I have fulfilled my duties and made a life in this school. Playing basketball and leading the under 14 basketball team I built a strong acquaintanceship with my juniors and always tried my best to help with any problem that they were facing be it academic or personal. I have always made active efforts to be a helping hand for my juniors and will continue to do so despite your decision.
Earlier this year, I got the opportunity to be the VP of the science and IT society and I can proudly say that I've made several big contributions. From arranging field trips and holding interactive learning sessions to an upcoming school-wide quiz, I have done my best to encourage younger kids to develop an interest in Science and IT.
Furthermore, it would be an honor to be the head boy of this institution which I respect from the core of my heart. I sincerely hope that you give me a chance to further prove my abilities to you. Thank you for your time."
I actually applied and got the position at my school, so I can certainly help
- are you reading it from a letter? Doing so can make it quite rigid and 'fake sounding'
- try using less language like: furthermore, proudly, my juniors, and anything that is over dramatic
- state why you want this position. I know you've said it would 'be an honour', but relate it back to leading people. Maybe you want to start up a lunch time club for people who struggle to make friends or are lonely

- overll, your speech has brilliant content (I had half the amount to write about), and as long as you smile, and maintain eye contact equally, you got this (also at the end ask for any questions, in a different way to "di you have any questions, maybe 'if you have any queries, I'm more than happy to discuss them with you!'
Good luck :wink:
Reply 2
Original post by Arcade22
I actually applied and got the position at my school, so I can certainly help
- are you reading it from a letter? Doing so can make it quite rigid and 'fake sounding'
- try using less language like: furthermore, proudly, my juniors, and anything that is over dramatic
- state why you want this position. I know you've said it would 'be an honour', but relate it back to leading people. Maybe you want to start up a lunch time club for people who struggle to make friends or are lonely

- overll, your speech has brilliant content (I had half the amount to write about), and as long as you smile, and maintain eye contact equally, you got this (also at the end ask for any questions, in a different way to "di you have any questions, maybe 'if you have any queries, I'm more than happy to discuss them with you!'
Good luck :wink:

Thankyou! :smile:
And I won't be reading this from a paper. I'll have it memorized by heart.
looks good! :yep:
Hehe, thanks buddy, I guess we'll be reciting the same speech on Monday :wink:
Original post by M2002
Thankyou! :smile:
And I won't be reading this from a paper. I'll have it memorized by heart.

No probs! Sorry if I seemed a bit harsh 😅

Quick Reply

Latest