The Student Room Group

Choosing A-Levels

I am currently a Year 11 student, seeking some advice from current Year 12's/13's.

I plan to do 5 A-Levels - Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Geography, and I am predicted to exceed the requirements to do these subjects (9 in Maths, 8's in the others).

However, I am wondering whether 5 would be too much, and so I need some advice on whether I do 5, or drop 1 of them.

Thanks,
Reply 1
Original post by Harry-Pikesley
I am currently a Year 11 student, seeking some advice from current Year 12's/13's.

I plan to do 5 A-Levels - Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Geography, and I am predicted to exceed the requirements to do these subjects (9 in Maths, 8's in the others).

However, I am wondering whether 5 would be too much, and so I need some advice on whether I do 5, or drop 1 of them.

Thanks,

5 A levels is a crazy amount. Bare in mind the content compared to gcse will be nothing you've seen before in terms of raw scale.

Although your grades suggest you could cope, I'd say 4 a levels is really the peak.

Even then, 3 a levels is the best thing to do; since that's all that Unis require and you're not doing your self a favour by doing more than 3.
Since A-Levels are now linear and most are exam heavy, I would personally drop at least one due to work load issues. Try looking at TSR subject forums for info on each course and/or look at the specifications on the chosen exam board’s websites. It may help you narrow your choices down. Just remember to follow your heart; your career aspirations will inevitably change.
Original post by SyedHB
5 A levels is a crazy amount. Bare in mind the content compared to gcse will be nothing you've seen before in terms of raw scale.

Although your grades suggest you could cope, I'd say 4 a levels is really the peak.

Even then, 3 a levels is the best thing to do; since that's all that Unis require and you're not doing your self a favour by doing more than 3.

Ok, thanks. I'll probably consider dropping Geography then.

Thanks,

Way too much I do biology chemistry and maths and I am struggling to keep up. Universities only care about 3 top grades you gain no advantage by doing 5 it could be argued it is a disadvantage as it is hard. I got 7A* 3 A and my sister got 10A* 1A and we are struggling a levels is a whole new ball game. I thought I will smash a levels I never thought it would kick me in the butt as much as it did. Don’t become too arrogant like me and think if I do amazing at GCSE I will also in a levels don’t risk it. Pick 3 options or 4 if you really want to don’t underestimate the difficulty of a levels.
If you don't need to do 5, why do 5?
You'll realize later on you went through more stress than you needed to.
But, if doing 5 is what you want, try it. You can drop classes later if you think it's too much.
Hi, I’m in year 13 (A2). 5 A-levels would definitely be to much in my opinion.

Most people only take 3 since the AS system has been dropped and has been replaced with a linear one, but there is a decent handful of students that took 4 in year 12 (A1). However, many drop one of the 4 at A2 and continue with only 3 A-levels.

I believe if you have found your GCSEs to be a price of cake and we’re predicted and are currently working at a level of 9s all around, then you may be a different case and may actually be able to handle that amount of work. Although you would have a hectic schedule, with little time for societies or social interaction.

The subjects at A-level are considered much more difficult that GCSE for most and many struggle with the transition between the two.

You would also need to be highly motivated and consider that you may become envious of other people’s free time (as a large amount of students get later starts - around 10:15 or 12:30 - and possibly 1 day off as well).

Something else to consider is that if you were to take either 3 or 4 A-levels at A1 and only took 3 at A2, you still have to fill up credits so would take a portfolio course that leads to no qualification.

It is possible to take A-level exams privately, so you could take one during the summer before moving onto University down the line if you so wished (assuming you were also willing to study a subject by yourself).

Looking at your predicted grades, I suggest you take 4 A-levels instead of 5, as that way you will have a more manageable workload.

If you do end up dropping one of your choices, really think about which subjects bring you the most joy to study. I would suggest dropping further maths as with that set of A-levels you would still be able to study any scientific subject or Geography (where a Geography A-level is recommend or demanded) at University.

I recommend looking into what you may want to study at Uni before manning any decisions as you don’t want to limit yourself.

Hope this helps!
(edited 6 years ago)
5 is too much
Reply 8

Thanks,

I mean I do 5 A level currently: maths, further maths, chemistry, physics and economics and it’s fine. If you are good at all the subjects it’s fine to do and if your really struggle you can just drop a subject. It is true that there is not much point doing 5 though in terms of Universities never needing 5.
Original post by TH001
I mean I do 5 A level currently: maths, further maths, chemistry, physics and economics and it’s fine. If you are good at all the subjects it’s fine to do and if your really struggle you can just drop a subject. It is true that there is not much point doing 5 though in terms of Universities never needing 5.

Thanks. How's your workload? Is it manageable (to some extent)?

Thanks,

no point doing 5, I was in a similar position to you and wanted to take Maths, F Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics but I took 4 and didn't take biology. I am at A2 and am still doing the 4 A levels. You could take 5 in the first year if you REALLY wanted to and then drop 1 at the end.
Reply 11
Thanks. How's your workload? Is it manageable (to some extent)?

It’s actually fine, the workload is usually not too bad, only around exam periods does it get quite busy and it’s often necessary to prioritise certain subjects as you don’t have enough time to study for all of them.
Ok, thanks. I'll probably consider dropping Geography then.

I was going to say- only do 4.
What are you thinking of doing at uni?
Reply 13

Thanks,

I do 4 A level myself and the workload is heavy especially since we are approaching exam season, I think that 5 are to much and suggest that you possibly drop one. But if you believe that you can do it then you can try and always drop one later if it becomes to much.

Quick Reply