The Student Room Group

improper integrals

they are both " no value " but i get values??

20180317_104726-compressed.jpg.jpeg20180317_104707-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Original post by ckfeister
they are both " no value " but i get values??

Top one is fine... the second one is wrong because c^4 diverges as c tends to infinity.
Reply 2
Original post by RDKGames
Top one is fine... the second one is wrong because c^4 diverges as c tends to infinity.

But wouldn't that leave 1/3?
But wouldn't that leave 1/3?

It did in first one... what’s your confusion???
Reply 4
It did in first one... what’s your confusion???

Is it because its 1/3 - infinty = no value?
Is it because its 1/3 - infinty = no value?

No, the first one does indeed converge to 1/3... and the -infinity was going to be my next point; your line “as a->-infinity, 1/a->-infinity” is dead wrong.
Reply 6
No, the first one does indeed converge to 1/3... and the -infinity was going to be my next point; your line “as a->-infinity, 1/a->-infinity” is dead wrong.

Yea noticed its undefined... And I meant the second one 1/4 - c^4/4 = no value due to 1/4 - infinity?
How so? And I meant the second one 1/4 - c^4/4 = no value due to 1/4 - infinity?

Then yes 1/4 - infinity is clearly not a number.

As for your wrong statement, its because you’re essentially saying that some fraction goes to infinity when its denominator goes to infinity, which is wrong
Reply 8
infinity plus or minus any real number will still be equal to infinity. And negative infinity plus or minus any real number will still be equal to negative infinity.
Reply 9
Then yes 1/4 - infinity is clearly not a number.

As for your wrong statement, its because you’re essentially saying that some fraction goes to infinity when its denominator goes to infinity, which is wrong

i editted the post after a few seconds and thx for helping

Quick Reply

Latest