Can I leave the UK after finishing just F1 or must i complete the 2 years training

Watch
Harmox
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So, I currently a med student in final year applying for the foundation programme inn the UK. But I wish to only complete the F1 training programme and apply to the US after. My question is do I have to complete the f1/f2 two year training programme or Can i voluntarily leave after the 1st year?
girl_in_black
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You can leave after the first year
Harmox
Rep:
?
(Original post by girl_in_black)
You can leave after the first year
Thanks for the answer. While we're on the topic, do you know when the latest time would be to withdraw my application to F1, in the event that I'm not able to take up the post.
Lego121212
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Because UK registration is not recognised in the US you can leave as soon as you graduate if you find a job, there is no requirement to have fill reg in the UK because the US has its own registration process.

The only thing that will be affected is your ability to practice in Europe. Also keep in mind that US doctors are fully qualified on graduation, therefore they are technically more skilled than a UK graduate, most US medical schools only consider Cambridge Oxford and Imperial as equivalent to their own programmes. It's probably useful to do F1 in the UK just to get your skills up to scratch.
Ghotay
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
There's no latest time exactly. There were people on our rota on the first day who literally didn't turn up. Mostly internationals with visa issues and similar. But consider that the later you leave it, the less time you give the trust to try and replace you and the more chaos you create. So try and let people know as soon as possible out of courtesy. But obviously you need to live your life and take the best opportunities available to you, even if they come at the 11th hour.
Harmox
Rep:
?
Thank you for the reply, I'll definitely keep that in mind.
Okorange
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Lego121212)
Because UK registration is not recognised in the US you can leave as soon as you graduate if you find a job, there is no requirement to have fill reg in the UK because the US has its own registration process.

The only thing that will be affected is your ability to practice in Europe. Also keep in mind that US doctors are fully qualified on graduation, therefore they are technically more skilled than a UK graduate, most US medical schools only consider Cambridge Oxford and Imperial as equivalent to their own programmes. It's probably useful to do F1 in the UK just to get your skills up to scratch.
It just simply isn't true that the US only considers Cambridge, Oxford and Imperial as equivalent. The US looks at the individual not the school, where you went to school doesn't matter. It just so happens that more medics from these schools are interested and they tend to have stronger test scores and interest in the US. Also, the training in Oxbridge or Imperial is not any more intense than other schools.
Lego121212
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Okorange)
It just simply isn't true that the US only considers Cambridge, Oxford and Imperial as equivalent. The US looks at the individual not the school, where you went to school doesn't matter. It just so happens that more medics from these schools are interested and they tend to have stronger test scores and interest in the US. Also, the training in Oxbridge or Imperial is not any more intense than other schools.
I didnt say the US as a whole thinks that. There are medical schools in the US that have listed on their websites those three schools as equivalent curriculums. I think one was the university of philadelphia. Whether the actually are is debatable but they still list them.

I'm not saying you can't work in the US unless you go there. Only that getting F1 is probably a good idea to get your knowledge and skills into compete with the US students
Okorange
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Lego121212)
I didnt say the US as a whole thinks that. There are medical schools in the US that have listed on their websites those three schools as equivalent curriculums. I think one was the university of philadelphia. Whether the actually are is debatable but they still list them.

I'm not saying you can't work in the US unless you go there. Only that getting F1 is probably a good idea to get your knowledge and skills into compete with the US students
Can you send me that link or post it on this thread please?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (96)
27.51%
No (253)
72.49%

Watched Threads