The Student Room Group

Stay at sixth form or go to college?

I took my GCSEs in 2017 and came out with 6 A’s, 2 B’s and 2 C’s and went to the follow up sixth form from my school. However, I really really hate it, achieving B’s in history and english lit, and a D in psychology at the moment. At school, I have no friends, and I just hate going. As of this, it makes me want to
leave - my only choice that my parents will accept is a level 3 extended diploma in business, but should I leave, potentially be happy and maybe regret it or stick my final year of a levels out? thanks
Stick one more year then a uni of your choice!
Reply 2
Original post by bajt
I took my GCSEs in 2017 and came out with 6 A’s, 2 B’s and 2 C’s and went to the follow up sixth form from my school. However, I really really hate it, achieving B’s in history and english lit, and a D in psychology at the moment. At school, I have no friends, and I just hate going. As of this, it makes me want to
leave - my only choice that my parents will accept is a level 3 extended diploma in business, but should I leave, potentially be happy and maybe regret it or stick my final year of a levels out? thanks

Hi, there. I'm sorry to hear about the situation you have but what do you want to do at uni? Also, have you spoken to someone about your situation?
Reply 3
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
Hi, there. I'm sorry to hear about the situation you have but what do you want to do at uni? Also, have you spoken to someone about your situation?

Hi, thanks for the quick reply. I spoke to the careers advisor and she wants me to try college, but I’m just so worried abour regretting it. I don’t think I want to go
to uni, maybe follow the higher apprenticeship route? I think I want to work in a bank or something similiar? I’m just so confused
If u don’t want To go to uni, I’d Defo recommend going to college - you stick get a qualification just fine. A2 is even harder than AS, and tensions rise bc everyone is so stressed. My sister did a year of sixth form then 2 of college and it was ‘the best decision I’ve ever made’. I hated year 12 and stayed on for year 13 regardless... I’m currently in year 13 and super regretting it
Reply 5
Original post by bajt
Hi, thanks for the quick reply. I spoke to the careers advisor and she wants me to try college, but I’m just so worried abour regretting it. I don’t think I want to go
to uni, maybe follow the higher apprenticeship route? I think I want to work in a bank or something similiar? I’m just so confused

It's a tricky situation you're in because I'm also in Year 12. I would've dropped Psychology for something else but the risk of doing that is that you'll have a lot of catching up to do for a new subject and it's highly unlikely they'll allow you to switch. If you did switch, you might be at risk of repeating the year something that is best avoided. I would stay on with the current subjects of History, English Lit, and Psychology and aim to get decent grades in them to do a course you like at uni before hopefully progressing to working in banking or similar. However, you'll probably be more suitable doing HR in banking or something similar because if you want to do something like accounting you need Maths. I don't recommend doing BTEC now because you'll probably have to repeat the year. Hope this helps. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
It's a tricky situation you're in because I'm also in Year 12. I would've dropped Psychology for something else but the risk of doing that is that you'll have a lot of catching up to do for a new subject and it's highly unlikely they'll allow you to switch. If you did switch, you might be at risk of repeating the year something that is best avoided. I would stay on with the current subjects of History, English Lit, and Psychology and aim to get decent grades in them to do a course you like at uni before hopefully progressing to working in banking or similar. However, you'll probably be more suitable doing HR in banking or something similar because if you want to do something like accounting you need Maths. I don't recommend doing BTEC now because you'll probably have to repeat the year. Hope this helps. :smile:

Thank you so much! :smile:
Original post by bajt

If you dont like 6th form, then theres no point in sticking it out for a 2nd year. Especially if you dont want to go to uni.
If you want to work in something like banking etc, then id go to college and do either business or something similar. Either that or an apprenticeship.
trust me i hated yr 12 but sticking with it was worth it, i still dislike going but yr13 got me so focused i dont have time to think about it. The final year before uni goes by in a flash honestly.
P.S your grades for yr 12 aren't even that bad tbh compared to colleges out there.

Quick Reply