The Student Room Group

car engine sizes

i am going to turn 17 in a few months time and i will be buying a car mid way between turning 18. i am looking to buy a 2007, 2.5l diesel, ford ranger double cab. i would like to know everyones opinions on such a large vehicle. me and my parents will be sharing the price of the insurance and road tax however, i need to buy the vehicle. can this vehicle be insured for my age and does any one know a rough price on the insurance per year. thanks. Owen
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by owenprice444
i am going to turn 17 in a few months time and i will be buying a car mid way between turning 18. i am looking to buy a 2007, 2.5l diesel, ford ranger double cab. i would like to know everyones opinions on such a large vehicle. me and my parents will be sharing the price of the insurance and road tax however, i need to buy the vehicle. can this vehicle be insured for my age and does any one know a rough price on the insurance per year. thanks. Owen

This is a foolish choice for someone your age. Choose something with less power and smaller; why do you need a doublle cab?!
Original post by Muttley79
This is a foolish choice for someone your age. Choose something with less power and smaller; why do you need a doublle cab?!
i would like a double cab because the standard single cab only has 2 seats and would like to be able to carry some extra people.

You're never going to get insurance on that.

Get a smaller car.
Reply 4
Monumentally stupid idea, but if you enjoy burning money for the hell of it, sure, crack on.
i would like a double cab because the standard single cab only has 2 seats and would like to be able to carry some extra people.

Buy something like a Skode Citigo - that has four seats and you might be able to get insurance.
Reply 6

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Maybe when hell freezes over. Go do an insurance quote and see what happens - you can almost guarantee all the main insurers will either refuse to quote or give you a quote 3 times the value of the car.

Why.. just why.. will this be your car, or a shared car?
Won't get insured on it. In the USA where almost every kid drives a sedan or a pickup as a first car? Sure - here, no.
Original post by IWMTom
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Maybe when hell freezes over. Go do an insurance quote and see what happens - you can almost guarantee all the main insurers will either refuse to quote or give you a quote 3 times the value of the car.

Why.. just why.. will this be your car, or a shared car?

My thoughts exactly.
Reply 9

Please tell me this is just a wind up? The answer is not in a million years.

I've noticed that we get a lot of naive young people on this thread; most of them just need a quick but gentle reality check and that's fine, we're here to help. But seriously this goes beyond naivety - this is the epitome of stupidity.
I was looking into Toyota's Hilux (2.4L Diesel) a while back and decided to look into insurance, let's just say it wasn't pretty... 20 y/o, driving for 2 years (3 years in August), clean licence, no claims. Off the top of my head, I seem to remember it being something f*cking crazy like 8 or 9 grand.

At 17, with zero history? You could probably put down a 50% deposit on a brand new, top spec ranger at the very least, if you could even get insured at all... I literally just did a check on a 07 double cab ranger, for me, I'd be looking at almost 10.5 grand (and most major insurers wouldn't even touch me)... So in other words, it ain't happening.
(edited 6 years ago)
2.5l will use lots of fuel and might bump your insurance up. if you want a beefy car wait till you're a little older.
'might' bump your insurance up :P

Agree, no way in hell will they insure you for less than a few grand, most will just say no. It's a HUGE engine and vehicle size for a young new driver, why have you chosen it?

Picks ups and vans fall under a TOTALLY different insurance category, they're far tougher and it's basically assumed you run a business, there's no box for 'I'm 18 and just kinda want one' :wink:
Sod It for a laugh I went and ran a quote for one myself (07 2.5 Ranger) I've been driving 6 months and i'm...older.

10 insurers were willing to quote me, at least 40 weren't, these range from 4-10k basically....uh. with the exception of Admiral, who quoted me 900.....but I think that must be a mistake :P (Hell I might buy a Ranger :P)

Quick Reply