The Student Room Group

Commute, move or somewhere in between?

Later on this year I am due to go to the university of Exeter which is just over an hour away. Given that contact hours are limited should I stay at home and drive down when I need to, move to Exeter just to experience the student life or stay over in Exeter during week days and then go home for the weekend? Please let me know as accommodation needs to be booked next month.
Original post by jgt811
Later on this year I am due to go to the university of Exeter which is just over an hour away. Given that contact hours are limited should I stay at home and drive down when I need to, move to Exeter just to experience the student life or stay over in Exeter during week days and then go home for the weekend? Please let me know as accommodation needs to be booked next month.

If you're looking at commuting options, my advice would be to be 100% sure that you know what that commute is going to look like.

My partner and I moved just to the outskirts of Edinburgh with a view to commuting into uni together, which looked like it would maybe be 45 minutes to an hour on a bad day - didn't work out that way. We're needing to allow about 2 hours if we really need to be there at a certain time.
Second what @Johnathan94 says. Ultimately I think the answer to this lies in what you want from your university experience. If you want to build up your independence and experience at living alone and for yourself, then move to Exeter. Even if you're not fussed about typical student nights out, it's hard(er) to build formative, long-lasting relationships and get stuck in to university (even the academic side of things) if you're constantly going back home or if you're commuting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending