The Student Room Group

I hate how my parents speak to me

My parents do a lot for me, and I am grateful for everything they do for me, but I don't like the way they speak to me. They make me feel like I'm worth nothing. If it wasn't for my friends - I would think about ending everything. If I give my opinion they will always say I'm wrong. If I give advice they say they don't have time. If I ask for their help with any problems I have, they tell me to grow up.
Reply 1
bump
Parents can be incredibly awful and disgusting.

I understand what you are going through but the best thing ever is to just focus on yourself and don't let their silly word affect you. Often it can produce a very toxic environment and if this is the case I would suggest focusing on your studies and leaving your house when you are ready.

I hope you are OK
Original post by Anonymous
My parents do a lot for me, and I am grateful for everything they do for me, but I don't like the way they speak to me. They make me feel like I'm worth nothing. If it wasn't for my friends - I would think about ending everything. If I give my opinion they will always say I'm wrong. If I give advice they say they don't have time. If I ask for their help with any problems I have, they tell me to grow up.

Tell them how you feel. They might ignore you at first. If this is consistent then tell someone. Hope everything will be okay.
Good luck 😀
Purple monkeys x
I think it’s kinda a cycle with parents, as they forget the problems they had as teenagers as new ones arise in later life. They then dismiss to problems the children have as they seem minor in comparison. I understand how you feel.
Reply 5
Original post by Cold Stone
Parents can be incredibly awful and disgusting.

I understand what you are going through but the best thing ever is to just focus on yourself and don't let their silly word affect you. Often it can produce a very toxic environment and if this is the case I would suggest focusing on your studies and leaving your house when you are ready.

I hope you are OK

I will only be able to leave when i go to Uni (I'm in year 11 now). They do so much for me and without their help I don't know what I would do. My dad takes me to football training once a week and my mum takes me once.
Also, they (nearly everyday) tell me that I need to lose weight and I look fat, even though I'm a similar weight to most 16 year old males (I think - like 58kg). If my mum asks me to do something and I say 'I will do in a bit once I've finished this bit of revision', she gets annoyed and says 'no, don't bother then, I'll do it myself, I never get any help'. Also, I went to the doctors with pain in my shoulder that I've had for 3 weeks and my mum took me and when I got home she wasn't happy and blamed my shoulder pain on me because I 'spend too much time on the laptop' (which I use for revision).
Original post by Purplemonkeys
Tell them how you feel. They might ignore you at first. If this is consistent then tell someone. Hope everything will be okay.
Good luck 😀
Purple monkeys x

if I talk to them about problems like this they just tell me to grow up and they either ignore me or get annoyed. I know that they love me because of everything they do for me though.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
I will only be able to leave when i go to Uni (I'm in year 11 now). They do so much for me and without their help I don't know what I would do. My dad takes me to football training once a week and my mum takes me once.
Also, they (nearly everyday) tell me that I need to lose weight and I look fat, even though I'm a similar weight to most 16 year old males (I think - like 58kg). If my mum asks me to do something and I say 'I will do in a bit once I've finished this bit of revision', she gets annoyed and says 'no, don't bother then, I'll do it myself, I never get any help'. Also, I went to the doctors with pain in my shoulder that I've had for 3 weeks and my mum took me and when I got home she wasn't happy and blamed my shoulder pain on me because I 'spend too much time on the laptop' (which I use for revision).

So what? This doesn't justify their harsh treatment towards you.
Just work hard at sixth form and move out when you start university. Stand up for yourself and they will get used to it.
Original post by Cold Stone
So what? This doesn't justify their harsh treatment towards you.
Just work hard at sixth form and move out when you start university. Stand up for yourself and they will get used to it.

I live in Wigan. I'm hoping to go to Cambridge, Oxford or imperial
I love my parents

Quick Reply

Latest