The Student Room Group

Getting out of school....

Hey,
so for the past 2 years I have been super unhappy at my current school and i've started telling the teachers and recently this has been happening more often so I have been telling them every day and they've decided to do something about it. They said they were going to ring my mum on Monday and talk to her about this and because there's this school I have really wanted to go to for ages, they said that if their kids were this unhappy, they would move their schools but they're not my mum and they can't say this to my mum either. The school I have chosen to go to is a private school and my mum says she cannot afford it rn it will have to be in year 10. I really want to try and go now though, is there anything I can do?

Scroll to see replies

Hey- sorry about your situation. Does the private school offer any bursary schemes? Maybe they can look into your families financial situation and take that into account. They may even be able to offer you a scholarship if you meet the requirements. Contact the school qnd see if something like this can be arranged; if you are a high achiever then they can take that into account. Why are you unhappy with the current school though? Is it the teaching? Students? Is it something that can be changed that can maybe better your school experience. Try looking for alternatives- private school may not be the only option.
Original post by Li0n
Hey- sorry about your situation. Does the private school offer any bursary schemes? Maybe they can look into your families financial situation and take that into account. They may even be able to offer you a scholarship if you meet the requirements. Contact the school qnd see if something like this can be arranged; if you are a high achiever then they can take that into account. Why are you unhappy with the current school though? Is it the teaching? Students? Is it something that can be changed that can maybe better your school experience. Try looking for alternatives- private school may not be the only option.

Does the private school offer any bursary schemes? Not that I know of, they do this other similar thing that if my mum is in a difficult financial situation they cancel the pay for the amount of time that she'll be like that and after that situation is sorted, she is able to pay all that money that I was at school for although I do not think my mum is financially able to do something like that.

Why are you unhappy with the current school though? Basically everything, it's not my place to be. The atmosphere, the students etc. I want to work hard and not get distracted and also I want to go to an only girls school, not a mixed. There's other things too, that cannot be changed.

What are the scholarship requirements? How do I get a scholarship?

An alternative for private school is grammar school, I guess but both my siblings went to grammar schools. My sister didn't have a good time there what-so-ever although my brother, did but i'm obvs not a boy and cannot go.

Thankyou for your reply! :smile:
Scholarships are usually offered to those gifted students; high grades, sports etc. See if they offer that and if you meet the criteria. If you cannot financially afford it, and the ONLY way to get in, is by paying the full amount then im not sure if theres any other way. Maybe try making an appeal to the local council; write them a letter regarding your situation and maybe they can help? Its a long shot but worth the try. Also could an alternative be getting a private tutor at home; that way you ontop of everything and getting those grades that you deserve. Only 2 more years of school and sixth form and then finally university-maybe see it like that? Im sorry I can't be more helpful.
Hey! Anything is better than being home schooled. Deep that I didn't have any social interactions till I was 11 :biggrin:
Original post by CanIBeBae?
Hey! Anything is better than being home schooled. Deep that I didn't have any social interactions till I was 11 :biggrin:

What do you mean, home schooled?
Original post by queenmeelzx
What do you mean, home schooled?

I learnt everything in primary and (basic) GCSE's at home with a private teacher till i was 11...
I went to a private school for 2 years and learnt how dead it was
Now I go to some f***ed school in Ilford but I'm glad I do because it is 100 times better than what I grew up with

Maybe it's just me. IF you really don't like the environment and you can't just change school then enjoy private.
Original post by Li0n
Scholarships are usually offered to those gifted students; high grades, sports etc. See if they offer that and if you meet the criteria. If you cannot financially afford it, and the ONLY way to get in, is by paying the full amount then im not sure if theres any other way. Maybe try making an appeal to the local council; write them a letter regarding your situation and maybe they can help? Its a long shot but worth the try. Also could an alternative be getting a private tutor at home; that way you ontop of everything and getting those grades that you deserve. Only 2 more years of school and sixth form and then finally university-maybe see it like that? Im sorry I can't be more helpful.

Is there a specific level my parents can ring up about and see if I have achieved?

Trust me, you're helping a lot
I learnt everything in primary and (basic) GCSE's at home with a private teacher till i was 11...
I went to a private school for 2 years and learnt how dead it was
Now I go to some f***ed school in Ilford but I'm glad I do because it is 100 times better than what I grew up with

Maybe it's just me. IF you really don't like the environment and you can't just change school then enjoy private.

Yeah, I don't know some people hate private school and some people loved it it might not have been your cup of tea?

I currently go to a state school, is that where you are now?
Yeah, I don't know some people hate private school and some people loved it it might not have been your cup of tea?

I currently go to a state school, is that where you are now?

I couldn't agree more. I guess it just wasn't for me, dk why but when you get popular in private schools people become toxic to you, and you become toxic yourself till you realise that you are becoming a b****

Yeah, and although its awfully funded I prefer the environment there, i feel like secondary is 75% about what you do rather than your teachers do to help you. Later down you have to depend more on teachers though.
Is there a specific level my parents can ring up about and see if I have achieved?

Trust me, you're helping a lot

Find out what your current grades are; im not sure if you need a specific level. Find out if the private school does offer any scholorships. Maybe findout if your Principal can give you a referral to that school? Like call the private school and refer you to them. Maybe write a letter about.how much of a great student you are and that this current school enviroment is restricting your academic abilities.
I couldn't agree more. I guess it just wasn't for me, dk why but when you get popular in private schools people become toxic to you, and you become toxic yourself till you realise that you are becoming a b****

Yeah, and although its awfully funded I prefer the environment there, i feel like secondary is 75% about what you do rather than your teachers do to help you. Later down you have to depend more on teachers though.

Is there a lot of drama in private schools? And did you go to a mixed? Btw are you male or female, if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by Li0n
Find out what your current grades are; im not sure if you need a specific level. Find out if the private school does offer any scholorships. Maybe findout if your Principal can give you a referral to that school? Like call the private school and refer you to them. Maybe write a letter about.how much of a great student you are and that this current school enviroment is restricting your academic abilities.

I will talk to my teachers and parents and see what can happen!

Thankyou! :smile:
Is there a lot of drama in private schools? And did you go to a mixed? Btw are you male or female, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm not the above person but....
There is drama wherever you go to. Doesn't matter what school its at. Yes there is drama at private schools, I went to a mixed one. Also if you're problem is the students, then the students aren't exactly any better at private school either.
Original post by AzureCeleste
I'm not the above person but....
There is drama wherever you go to. Doesn't matter what school its at. Yes there is drama at private schools, I went to a mixed one. Also if you're problem is the students, then the students aren't exactly any better at private school either.

Thankyou for your reply.

I completely agree, but it's hard to explain.

I'm male and there isn't drama if you are a lowkey person. If you are a natural extrovert and are bound to make a lot of friends, some people turn on you and stuff becomes toxic between girls and boys. Fr, some stuff that happened was absolute bs. There was so much jealousy and drama at one point, it was actually mad. Some people (never happened to me) had fights over grades and stuff, people calling each other dumb. it wasn't ever physical but sometimes you get some stuck up person who's father is something big acting like they own the school. Most people are nice in private schools, but it's just so competitive which I like but it becomes toxic, which i don't like

I'm not trying to discourage you, but most private schools are like that.. ik some that aren't though
Thankyou for your reply.

I completely agree, but it's hard to explain.

Are there other state schools in the area?
because I feel like the whole private school situation may not be feasible for you, unless they have scholarships or similair
I'm male and there isn't drama if you are a lowkey person. If you are a natural extrovert and are bound to make a lot of friends, some people turn on you and stuff becomes toxic between girls and boys. Fr, some stuff that happened was absolute bs. There was so much jealousy and drama at one point, it was actually mad. Some people (never happened to me) had fights over grades and stuff, people calling each other dumb. it wasn't ever physical but sometimes you get some stuck up person who's father is something big acting like they own the school. Most people are nice in private schools, but it's just so competitive which I like but it becomes toxic, which i don't like

I'm not trying to discourage you, but most private schools are like that.. ik some that aren't though

Makes sense, my sister had that in grammar school.

Was there a lot of relationship bs going round?
Original post by AzureCeleste
Are there other state schools in the area?
because I feel like the whole private school situation may not be feasible for you, unless they have scholarships or similair

Yes there are other state schools in the area but my mum isn't too keen on them because theyre dodgey
Yes there are other state schools in the area but my mum isn't too keen on them because theyre dodgey

If it makes it happier though, isn't it worth trying. If you really want to get out of the school(I've been in a similair situation,) you will go anywhere else but there and accept it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending