VB1351 - Judicial Dismissal Bill 2018 Watch

Poll: Should this bill be passed into law?
As many as are of that opinion, Aye (34)
69.39%
On the contrary, No (8)
16.33%
Abstain (7)
14.29%
This discussion is closed.
DayneD89
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
B1351 - Judicial Dismissal Bill 2018, Vitiate, Seconded by PetrosAC, tommy1boy, cranbrook_aspie, Connor27

A
BILL
TO

Make provisions for the removal of Parliament's ability to dismiss judges through a petition in both Houses of Parliament and to allocate the powers of dismissal to the Office for Judicial Complaints.

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen's Most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:

1: Power of Parliament to remove a person from judicial office
(1) Parliament can no longer dismiss a judge through a petition passed by both Houses of Parliament.
(2) Parliament may only recommend the removal of a person in judicial office after a petition has been passed by both Houses of Parliament by a two third majority vote.
(a) The said two thirds must not lower than half of the number of members of each chamber.
(i) If lower, the petition, by the rules set out in this Act, will fail.

2: Powers of the Office for Judicial Complaints
(1) The Office for Judicial Complaints (OJC) will now handle judicial dismissal.
(2) Even if a petition recommending the removal of a judge is passed by both Houses of Parliament, the OJC are under no obligation to follow said wishes and may act according to the evidence set out before them.
(3) The OJC may dismiss a judge, on the advice of the Lord Chief Justice and President of the Supreme Court of the United Kingdom.
(a) Superior judges may hold judicial office whilst of good behaviour.
(i) In the event that a superior judge is dismissed, the OJC will tell the Lord Chief Justice and the President of the Supreme Court of the United Kingdom who will be the ones to dismiss the judges.

3: Commencement, Extent and Short Title
(1) This Act comes into force upon Royal Assent.
(2) This Act extends to the United Kingdom.
(3) This Act shall be known as the Judicial Dismissal Act 2018.

Spoiler:
Show
This Bill moves the United Kingdom towards a more truly separated powers by removing Parliament's ability to remove judges by a petition being passed by both Houses of Parliament.

I am sure the House will agree with me when I say that the separation of powers especially in regards to the Judiciary is something to strive for and this bill moves us further towards that by removing Parliament's ability to remove judges by petition to making it so they can merely recommend the removal of judges to the Office for Judicial Complaints, who, under the advice of the Lord Chief Justice and the President of the Supreme Court will remove judges either for serious misconduct, incapacity or for any other reason specified in any other act.
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Parliament hasn’t abused its power over the judiciary, why change a system that isn’t flawed? Clearly this separation of powers thing is inspired by the USA which you probably deem to be better than a more fused system of power, yet our judiciary is one of the least politicised in the world and well I don’t think I need to comment on the US system, from politicisation to racism, you name it.
CountBrandenburg
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
A firm Aye from myself
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
robc2
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Aye from me.
The Judiciary must not ever be open to the possibility of being influenced by politicians and must be completely separated from government.
The PoliticalGuy
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Surely this bill is an attempt to undermine the sovereignty of parliament, surely oversight of the justice system must be encouraged.

An easy nay from me.
Thrillanthropist
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Aye from me too
CatusStarbright
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I again affirm my commitment to supporting this bill - it's an aye from me.
Unown Uzer
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I wonder why TDA voted against this
Scisaac
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Aye. I can’t see the poll though
CountBrandenburg
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Scisaac)
Aye. I can’t see the poll though
Hmm, DayneD89 any ideas why this might be the case. Or can this count as a postal vote for seat 35?
CountBrandenburg
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Scisaac are you using the mobile site by any chance? I’ve done a quick check and I can see the poll on the desktop version but not on the mobile site.
Scisaac
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by CountBrandenburg)
Scisaac are you using the mobile site by any chance? I’ve done a quick check and I can see the poll on the desktop version but not on the mobile site.
I am using the mobile site, however I’ve seen polls before using it so I’m not sure why this is happening 🤔🤔🤔
CountBrandenburg
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Scisaac)
I am using the mobile site, however I’ve seen polls before using it so I’m not sure why this is happening 🤔🤔🤔
It appears to be a recent thing, there seems to be a slight formatting change on it so maybe that’s messed with polls on it.
Idk, this is TSR we’re talking about so you never know
04MR17
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
DayneD89 think this one should be closed? Maybe the bot?:hmmmm:
DayneD89
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
[b][color=
(Original post by 04MR17)
DayneD89 think this one should be closed? Maybe the bot?:hmmmm:
Nope, all me atm. Haven't even been able to get it to do updates recently due to not having the time to work on it atm. Still, nearing the light at the end of this project now (not the bot, the one that has me doing 8-10 hour shifts at work atm).

The Ayes have it, The Ayes have it!

Unlock!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (68)
8.04%
I used to but I don't now (23)
2.72%
No, but I want to start (313)
37%
No, I am unable to (212)
25.06%
No, I chose not to (230)
27.19%