The Student Room Group

Opinions in assignments.

Hello,
I'm struggling to grasp how to put across an opinion in third person in my assignments.
Can anyone give me some examples on the best way to do this please?
Original post by MatthewDarcy
Hello,
I'm struggling to grasp how to put across an opinion in third person in my assignments.
Can anyone give me some examples on the best way to do this please?

You mean problem questions or essays?
Problem questions then you are expressing your opinion in a way by identifying issues and the relevant law as you see it.
When you apply the law to the facts, then to a limited degree you are applying an opinion, but really it should be objective. If you want to say someone is liable then right at the end.

Essays are different and you can have as much opinion as you want as long as you can back it up.
Original post by 999tigger
You mean problem questions or essays?
Problem questions then you are expressing your opinion in a way by identifying issues and the relevant law as you see it.
When you apply the law to the facts, then to a limited degree you are applying an opinion, but really it should be objective. If you want to say someone is liable then right at the end.

Essays are different and you can have as much opinion as you want as long as you can back it up.

Sorry should have mentioned it was for essays. I have added a few sections with my opinion but the wording doesn't seem right. For example, I have put A evidences that.... B supports that... but its just not sitting right.
Sorry should have mentioned it was for essays. I have added a few sections with my opinion but the wording doesn't seem right. For example, I have put A evidences that.... B supports that... but its just not sitting right.

Difficult to comment on the basis of what you have provided. It seems to abstract and unclear. Essays are the fun ones where its all abut your opinion. If you dont have one, then am not sure you have much at all? When you have one and the structure, analysis and ideas are good, then am not sure what the issue is. As long as you can back it up then your opinion is good.
Sorry its just the language that is bothering me. I have everything I need for the opinion and evidence to back it up. But I don't feel like I can express what I want to say as well as I hope to.
I can't say - I agree with A because...
With it being third person it has to be more... the sky is blue because.
The issue is the language, I'm not sure how to put my opinion across in third person well.
Sorry its just the language that is bothering me. I have everything I need for the opinion and evidence to back it up. But I don't feel like I can express what I want to say as well as I hope to.
I can't say - I agree with A because...
With it being third person it has to be more... the sky is blue because.
The issue is the language, I'm not sure how to put my opinion across in third person well.

If you ask me a 'rule' that you have to write essays in third person is silly, and there are plenty of examples of very good academic articles that use "I", or "in my opinion", or similar. That is by the by.

Where you wanted to say "I agree with A because", why can't you say "A is correct because", or "A's analysis is more persuasive because"?

Maybe it would be easier if you gave a sentence or a paragraph that you are struggling with, in first person if you like, and we can try to redraft it into third person.

Quick Reply

Latest