Is studying abroad possible???

Watch this thread
Lydiagr_
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Bit long, sorry!

I had a bit of an epiphany recently and the idea of studying abroad for an undergraduate degree really interests me, but after some research I've realised it's almost impossible to study abroad unless you've got well-off parents or won a scholarship 😕

Here's just a run-down of what I wanted to do:
I wanted to study History/Classics in Greece, preferably Athens.
I was looking at American College of Greece turns out its got some fees, but I'm not eligible for any of their scholarships and Student Finance doesn't support overseas students.
I don't know any Greek, so I can't apply for a lot of other courses at other Unis unless I take a language course etc.
And I have to pay for a Visa as the UK is non-EU.
Plus Greece's economy is a bit dodgy.

It seems that the only options I have is to either apply for a Uni here and go abroad for a year or take summer/term courses.

Is there any possible way to study abroad?

My idea sounds wishy-washy af and I've probably answered my own question 😂
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
Moved to applications and UCAS
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
As you've found, studying abroad tends to be very expensive. Although European institutions tend to, on the whole, be a lot cheaper than the UK for international students (including from the UK), undergraduate degrees are normally taught in the country's mother tongue. You may want to instead consider courses that offer international study (such as those with ERASMUS schemes, although others are available). It's quite possible you'll want to choose a degree which includes modern Greek for these purposes though, however there may be some with schemes otherwise.

There are at least a couple courses that you can pursue Modern/Ancient Greek or Modern Greek and Classics. Classics will necessarily include elements of ancient history, however if you wanted to study modern history AND ancient history AND classical languages (greek) AND study abroad in Greece (likely necessitating modern Greek) you may find your options very limited. At the least, you will probably need at least A-level Modern Greek to facilitate study abroad later in the course...
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
As you've found, studying abroad tends to be very expensive. Although European institutions tend to, on the whole, be a lot cheaper than the UK for international students (including from the UK), undergraduate degrees are normally taught in the country's mother tongue. You may want to instead consider courses that offer international study (such as those with ERASMUS schemes, although others are available). It's quite possible you'll want to choose a degree which includes modern Greek for these purposes though, however there may be some with schemes otherwise.

There are at least a couple courses that you can pursue Modern/Ancient Greek or Modern Greek and Classics. Classics will necessarily include elements of ancient history, however if you wanted to study modern history AND ancient history AND classical languages (greek) AND study abroad in Greece (likely necessitating modern Greek) you may find your options very limited. At the least, you will probably need at least A-level Modern Greek to facilitate study abroad later in the course...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (10)
37.04%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (9)
33.33%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
7.41%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (1)
3.7%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (1)
3.7%
I’m starting to consider my university options (3)
11.11%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
3.7%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise