How do I get full marks on an A-Level history question?

Watch
srwobree34
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I have a really high offer to get (A*AA) for uni, and so my strategy for getting the grades is to try and absolutely max my marks in absolutely everything (thus if I fall somewhat come exam day, it shouldn't be a disaster). History however seems to be a remarkably difficult subject to max your marks in (really good answers struggle to break out of level 4). So I was wondering how do you write a perfect history essay?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by srwobree34)
I have a really high offer to get (A*AA) for uni, and so my strategy for getting the grades is to try and absolutely max my marks in absolutely everything (thus if I fall somewhat come exam day, it shouldn't be a disaster). History however seems to be a remarkably difficult subject to max your marks in (really good answers struggle to break out of level 4). So I was wondering how do you write a perfect history essay?
Isnt everyone trying to get full marks?
You have 3 months to g fom a 4 to a 7/8?

Good notes.
Good understanding.
Practice essay technique.

I think the rest juts comes from better than average analysis, selection,good factual support,use of other views, good evaluation and having the confidence to write a focused essay that answers the question.
srwobree34
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Isnt everyone trying to get full marks?
You have 3 months to g fom a 4 to a 7/8?

Good notes.
Good understanding.
Practice essay technique.

I think the rest juts comes from better than average analysis, selection,good factual support,use of other views, good evaluation and having the confidence to write a focused essay that answers the question.
The highest level is a 5 in AQA
999tigger
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by srwobree34)
The highest level is a 5 in AQA
Sorry I thought A levels went from E to A* has a new grading system been introduced?
tyson69
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sorry I thought A levels went from E to A* has a new grading system been introduced?
Levels 0-5 are just the quality and depth of knowledge of your essay, not the actual grade. However, the higher the level, the higher the grade e.g Level 4 is a low-medium A
srwobree34
Rep:
?
Ah no. Level 5 is something used on the mark scheme. It is not the grade itself. It means like a high A or A*. Level 4 is a low A
999tigger
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by tyson69)
Levels 0-5 are just the quality and depth of knowledge of your essay, not the actual grade. However, the higher the level, the higher the grade e.g Level 4 is a low-medium A
Ah ok thanks.

Level 5 is just going to be that bit better. If you improve in all the areas then it will add up. Theres a certain level where you do History and you get the confidence to focus on only what is needed and it sort of frees you up.
tyson69
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I have the same problem as you, I need a good grade in history but it just seems too difficult. I am doing CIE btw and my depth study is about American history.

Good luck and hope you reach the requirements!!
tabbyglitter
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Statistics , historian views (use opposing views if you can) plenty of knowledge, in depth analysis, learn to write fast
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (40)
65.57%
I don't have everything I need (21)
34.43%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed