Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm due to start my LPC in September in London with a maintenance grant of £7,000. My firm only allows for study in London. I have no savings and my parents cannot afford to help.

I'm wondering if anybody has been in this position and has been successful in living in London on such a small amount?

Additionally, is the LPC too full on for a part time job?

Thanks
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by aspiring__lawyer)
    Hi,

I'm due to start my LPC in September in London with a maintenance grant of £7,000. My firm only allows for study in London. I have no savings and my parents cannot afford to help.

I'm wondering if anybody has been in this position and has been successful in living in London on such a small amount?

Additionally, is the LPC too full on for a part time job?

Thanks
    Why not upgrade the LPC to the LLM version, which would then allow you to access the Post Grad master loan of £10k?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Oh and you can also ask your bank fr a graduate loan or look at a career development loan.
    You have nearly made it so the bank will want to know you. Show them your training contract and they will love you.
    I would borrow the money of available and not put any of the LPC at risk because employers might be less forgiving and you may lose the TC. It does happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Why not upgrade the LPC to the LLM version, which would then allow you to access the Post Grad master loan of £10k?
    Thank you - I did consider this, do firms allows you to do that?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Talk to your firm. Doubt they care. Its only the submission of an essay on top. It is a gimmick to access the loan.

ReputationRep:
    As long as it doesnt affect your start date and you can get your top up module/essay done before you start, I think you will be fine.

If you explain it is mainly for financial reasons, I am sure they would understand.

ReputationRep:
    It would be very tight to live in London on that budget but it is doable for a year or so.

You'd have to live like a university student and rent a room in a shared house. You wouldn't be able to afford a 1-bed property.

I think you could easily do a part-time job on top of the LPC. Personally I didn't find the LPC very intense at all.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.