Is it morally okay to publically praise the death of terrorists? Watch

Poll: Is it morally okay to praise the death of terrorists?
The results of this poll are hidden until the poll closes.
Zamestaneh
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Is it morally okay to praise the death of terrorists or is it immoral since it is praising death, and instead they should they all be brought to justice through the judicial system?

For the sake of this question, terrorism will be defined as:

"The unlawful/immoral* use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims."

*I have added "immoral" to the definition to allow some level of subjectivity, as "unlawful" restricts the definition to purely judicial matters which is restrictive.

Should be publicly* in the title.
username3846126
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sometimes I am happy they are dead only because they will do more harm than good. Its not OK to praise their death since this will make the rest of humanity just like them.
Zamestaneh
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cold Stone)
Sometimes I am happy they are dead only because they will do more harm than good. Its not OK to praise their death since this will make the rest of humanity just like them.
What is the difference between being happy and praising their death other than expression?
username3846126
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Zamestaneh)
What is the difference between being happy and praising their death other than expression?
Happy: Relief (in this situation) = More of a thought.
Praising: Running around, creating threads, flags. = Action
Zamestaneh
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cold Stone)
Happy: Relief (in this situation) = More of a thought.
Praising: Running around, creating threads, flags. = Action
What I mean to say is: why is the action more repugnant than the thought when they are sourced from the same feelings?
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Is it morally okay to praise the death of terrorists or is it immoral since it is praising death, and instead they should they all be brought to justice through the judicial system?

For the sake of this question, terrorism will be defined as:

"The unlawful/immoral* use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims."

*I have added "immoral" to the definition to allow some level of subjectivity, as "unlawful" restricts the definition to purely judicial matters which is restrictive.
No it isn't morally ok. Two reasons

1. It glorifies their cause

2. They are humanscwh have lost their way. I am always reminded of the phrase one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. I was in South Africa at the time of apartheid . I saw how unjustvthings were.
Zamestaneh
Rep:
?
(Original post by squeakysquirrel)
No it isn't morally ok. Two reasons

1. It glorifies their cause

2. They are humans who have lost their way. I am always reminded of the phrase one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. I was in South Africa at the time of apartheid . I saw how unjustvthings were.
Could you expand on point 1 - I do not understand how it glorifies it.

Point 2 is something I was going to touch on in a future thread, so I have left this question relatively open. I am therefore asking people if it is okay to praise the deaths of those they deem to be terrorists.
username521617
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's wrong to praise the death of any human being, no matter how much evil they've done. A life is a life. Terrorists have mothers, fathers, siblings and childhoods. Our not praising death is part of what makes us better people than what they became.
Kanairee
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What I mean to say is: why is the action more repugnant than the thought when they are sourced from the same feelings?
I think the action is more repugnant because it is indicative of the fact that the indiviudal will have acted on these thoughts, which in turn is influential to those surrounding them. If one person acts upon these thoughts of 'happiness,' (I'm using it as an umbrella term to include things like relief), and choose to praise the death of a terrorist, then it becomes by the laws of mob mentality permissable for others to also act upon these thoughts. While one individual might mediate themselves to a simple expression of relief that this terrorist is dead, a second individual of a different mindset might take this as acceptant of what could be considered an extreme line of thinking and take it way out of proportion.

I suppose what I'm getting at is there's an significant difference between acting upon one's internal considerations and simply keeping them to oneself. Where would we draw the line if it became permissable to actively praise deaths? In this scenario it might be a terrorist, but if that's ok then what else is? I think regardless of choices, actions, morality and everything else that goes into a life cocktail, a life is still a life and each one is valuable. It's not morally wrong to find the death of a terrorist relieving and, I guess by extension, to feel happy about it, provided we don't act on these thoughts and create a scenario where we would be actively advocating murder
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
when some terrorist ******* gets vaporised by a missile i help to pay for that is a good feeling.
Andrew97
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I certainly don’t mourn their loss.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nfjkjern)
Don't think anyone will mourn your loss either.
And your point is?
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You're a prick.
For what exactly? Not mourning the death of a terrorist? That would make most of the country a p**** then. Plus there is no need to be offensive.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You're just a prick in general. You little ****.
That didn’t answer my question did it? You only joined this site today. Thus you can’t possibly have a good judgement of me or my character. So please stop name calling, it makes you look petty.
nfjkjern
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
That didn’t answer my question did it? You only joined this site today. Thus you can’t possibly have a good judgement of me or my character. So please stop name calling, it makes you look petty.
I've seen many of your posts and they are so ****ing retarded and disgusting
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
so when Osama was wasted by the good guys in his Abbotabad grief-hole that was a real cause for celebration for normal people.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I've seen many of your posts and they are so ****ing retarded and disgusting
No they are not. The only person making disgusting posts here is you.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
When you die that will also be a cause of celebration for normal people. Hopefully its soon.
you sound like a terrorist !
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by the bear)
He certainly sounds angry at me for some reason.
nfjkjern
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by the bear)
You should be classified as a terrorist considering how much terror your face gives people
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has 2019 been so far?

Amazing!!! (52)
5.7%
Fairly positive (288)
31.58%
Just another year... (355)
38.93%
Is it 2020 yet? (217)
23.79%

Watched Threads

Latest