The Student Room Group

Been caught plagarising a 2nd time in final year please read

Basically I forgot to change a lot of the words when copying some stuff for my assignment I am in my final year of nursing, last time I got a warning and had to resubmit my work with it capped at 40% only this time been called to another hearing on Monday and they have warned me I face being expelled this time, I know I was stupid but is there any way if I beg and say I didnt mean to they will be lenient and give me another warning?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I doubt it. There's not really an excuse for plagiarising a second time after a warning. But I suppose acting apologetic about it can't hurt your case.
You're finished lol. They will expel you as you have no defence, you have been caught TWICE. And you have admitted here plagiarising.
It would depend on the university but if you have already been given a warning then there isn't much you can argue.
Original post by Chloe Arnson
Basically I forgot to change a lot of the words when copying some stuff for my assignment I am in my final year of nursing, last time I got a warning and had to resubmit my work with it capped at 40% only this time been called to another hearing on Monday and they have warned me I face being expelled this time, I know I was stupid but is there any way if I beg and say I didnt mean to they will be lenient and give me another warning?

Ms. Chloe Arnson...do you have some...difficulty in learning or understanding things? Tell me why...you've put your name here, openly admitted to stealing work, and have done it TWICE. My dear, tell me what it is that you want to actually know at this point...
I think its probably going to be the end now, especially with a course in healthcare.

Best to turn to plan B career wise
If that’s true then tough. Time to find a new career because you’re not getting your nursing degree.
Yeah you fu**ed up. Just act really apologetic and slate yourself saying you were stupid etc and it might give you a glimmer of hope but don't count on it.
Hi,

There is no doubt that this is very serious indeed BUT you may be able to get through it on Monday. The bottom line is that they have a lot of time and money invested in you and they are judged on the number of people who graduate etc. This means that they may be willing to be persuaded to let you stay on the module but you have got to make it easy for them to do so. I would recommend the following on Monday but probably not in this order..l

- go suited and booted to show that you are taking this seriously
- total contrition
- accept responsibility without using any excuses.
- be prepared to explain what happened. Why did you submit the wrong version?
- ask them under what conditions they would be prepared to let you stay on the course. If you have previous good performance to draw upon here (other than your last mess up) then do so but avoid being arrogant
- tell them that you weren’t trying to cheat, you were just stupid (put it into your own words
- tell them how much the course means to you and the effect kicking you off it will have

Good luck
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by TheMoreILearn...
Hi,

There is no doubt that this is very serious indeed BUT you may be able to get through it on Monday. The bottom line is that they have a lot of time and money invested in you and they are judged on the number of people who graduate etc. This means that they may be willing to be persuaded to let you stay on the module but you have got to make it easy for them to do so. I would recommend the following on Monday but probably not in this order..l

- total contrition
- ask them under what conditions they would be prepared to let you stay on the course. If you have previous good performance to draw upon here (other than your last mess up) then do so but avoid being arrogant
- tell them that you weren’t trying to cheat, you were just stupid (put it into your own words
- tell them how much the course means to you and the effect kicking you off it will have

Good luck

This is good advice. TSR (social media) isn't really a good place to ask advice since majority of people are just hateful. You should also consider talking to the student union as I believe they can provide assistance when a student encounters trouble, like plagiarism.
I agree, ask your SU for advice. They may be able to send a rep with you who can help you or talk you through the university procedures.

Show total contrition and take responsibility. Show remorse, and explain how it will not happen again (e.g. you will allow more time for assignments so you are not rushing them). Explain how much the course means to you, and if you can draw on examples that will show you can be a good nurse despite this mistake.

They haven't said you will definitely be expelled, just that it is a possibility. The university won't want to kick you out, just impress on you that this is a very serious offense.

I do think if they give you another chance, it will really be your final one- and so you must make sure it does not happen again.
Reply 11
I agree with these recent comments - spot on advice.

To add though, make sure that whatever you say really is genuine. If you play at remorse, they will spot it from a mile off. Remember, they may have given you the benefit of the doubt last time, but given that this is the second time, they have evidence that you didn't learn from your mistake previously - so why would you this time? You will need to pull out all the stops to show that you truly regret plagiarizing, and not just regret that you have been caught.

I can't tell from your post if you have a handle on the gravity of the offence outside of the possible consequences of it (notably expulsion) - it is another person's work you copied, for which they must have expended a significant amount of time and effort to create. When you say: "I forgot to change a lot of the words when copying some stuff", the fact is, you shouldn't be copying text verbatim anyway. If it's a concept or explanation not from a published work, put it your own words from scratch. If it's a study or conclusion, quote it with attribution.

Alongside the other helpful advice from others, if you can demonstrate that you truly regret these actions and will attribute the work correctly in the future, Monday might just go your way :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Students like OP put all students to shame.

You will most likely get expelled, and you will deserve nothing less. Take this as a lesson to not be so lazy and entitled in the future.
Original post by del1rious

You will most likely get expelled, and you will deserve nothing less. Take this as a lesson to not be so lazy and entitled in the future.

OP is training to be a nurse. I doubt she's that lazy and entitled. She's made a mistake, but she's also probably working a lot harder than other students with placements etc. I don't think attacks of this kind are really called for.

The problem with this perspective imho is it doesn’t account for a massive failing in most degree courses and I’m prepared to give OP the benefit of the doubt because of it. The failing is that most courses are pretty good at imparting subject knowledge but terrible at teaching people how to study and the rules of academia such as how to cite and reference work.

Often these rules are learned at school, particularly by people studying more discursive subjects such as, say, history but are missed out (or are massively underplayed) in the sciences, maths, computing etc. We don’t know the OPs situation or at what point in their life they are entering nursing so I’m willing to give some leeway

Of course this being the second time being caught is not good and shows, at the very least, poor organisation (could the OP have a reason for this?) so they need to demonstrate convincingly that their intention was not to cheat and gain an unfair advantage
(edited 6 years ago)
Rewording a plagiarised text doesn't make it not plagiarism, by the way.

Plagiarism is easy to avoid if you attribute the text in question to the source at which you found it. Even if you reword the claims, you should state where you found them.

I can't understand the motivation behind plagiarising in this way.

This leads me to assume that you don't understand the gravity of a plagiarism charge and/or that you don't understand how to cite and how to construct essays. Have you found the course - workload, concepts - difficult? Have you had personal problems that have got in the way of you finishing your work? Did you ask for support with your studies from your university and was it forthcoming?
Original post by TheMoreILearn...
Hi,

- total contrition

Good luck

This is pretty much the best advice you're going to get in this situation. A lot of unis have gotten ridiculously permissive and forgiving about things like this so I actually wouldn't be shocked to find out you slip through.

My advice would be to stop stealing other people's work and passing it off as your own.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
OP is training to be a nurse. I doubt she's that lazy and entitled. She's made a mistake, but she's also probably working a lot harder than other students with placements etc. I don't think attacks of this kind are really called for.

I really hate being mean on this forum as the community clearly isn't built for it but seriously: have you ever met a nursing student?

I used to go to a uni that was saturated in nursing degrees and just, wow... People who really are not cut out for uni (many to be fair, would happily admit to that) but who would often describe themselves as "nurses" after days/weeks in the front door.

I have a lot of respect for the profession but I've just spent way too much time around student nurses to have anyone tell me they are the cream of the student crop. Just the opposite.

People make mistakes. Doesn't matter how many times. One day when you make a serious mistake, you will want people to show mercy.
Original post by 06moca1
People make mistakes. Doesn't matter how many times. One day when you make a serious mistake, you will want people to show mercy.

Yeah, and they did that the first time around.

Quick Reply

Latest