The Student Room Group

Warwick vs LSE for straight economics

Hi. I've got offers from LSE and Warwick from both LSE and Warwick and am struggling to decide. I've visited both and didn't really get any feel of their 'atmosphere' tbh. Looked at the course content and they're pretty much identical, except the dissertation thing at Warwick which I'm indifferent to.

So I was wondering if anyone who is going to either of these places/knows about them can give me some advice/opinions. E.g. could do with social life, expenses, careers advantages, teaching standards etc.

Also, can someone explain why student satisfaction at LSE is so low when it is one of the best uni's in the UK and had great grad prospects?

Thanks
In my opinion:

LSE - more expensive, marginally better career prospects as good international reputation.

Warwick - higher teaching standards according to student satisfaction.

Social life depends on a) if you prefer campus or city and b) what you make of it as an individual. Either one could be awful or great in terms of social life.
Reply 2
LSE no doubt
Reply 3
Original post by TheGuy264
Hi. I've got offers from LSE and Warwick from both LSE and Warwick and am struggling to decide. I've visited both and didn't really get any feel of their 'atmosphere' tbh. Looked at the course content and they're pretty much identical, except the dissertation thing at Warwick which I'm indifferent to.

So I was wondering if anyone who is going to either of these places/knows about them can give me some advice/opinions. E.g. could do with social life, expenses, careers advantages, teaching standards etc.

Also, can someone explain why student satisfaction at LSE is so low when it is one of the best uni's in the UK and had great grad prospects?

Thanks

With regard to LSE, and student satisfaction, some students struggle a bit because the student union is less organised than the Warwick one given the location (ie, it being in London, and so there is much more on your doorstep). With Warwick, it is a campus university outside of Coventry, and campus universities tend to have much more proactive student unions to ensure students have activities to partake in, so it is much, much easier to feel part of the university and the Warwick community versus at LSE, where you have to make more of an effort (this is not just for LSE, however, but pretty much all large city-based universities).

Otherwise, it is ultimately your choice, and you must decide where you would prefer to go. Everyone pretty much will say you should pick LSE over Warwick, because of the brand and the reputation, but you mustn't forget, this is your life, your three years, and it is imperative you are happy with your choice. Maybe visit both again, or think about living costs (ie., London is extremely expensive compared to Warwick), or other factors which could help you decide for yourself.
Original post by TheGuy264

Thanks

I went through literally the exact same scenario between the amazing Warwick campus and amazing atmosphere, versus the highly prestigious LSE. I considered my own aspirations and desires and came to the conclusion that due to my arrogance that I had to go to LSE and would regret it for life if I rejected that offer. I am a very unsociable person and never go out or even talk to people so it's the perfect uni for me. I would have never used Warwick to its full potential.
If you are like me and are in it for the wealth and cockiness of saying that you went to the LSE, then go for it, but if you are perhaps not planning on working in London and are not too fond of the expensive living costs, congested city and stressful university life with enormous workload, then go for Warwick. The student satisfaction is low due to confusion, mistakes and occasional issues with courses, the teachers many of them at least are highly intelligent and extremely successful, so you are definitely being taught by the best.
I would suggest that the LSE, especially for economics, is far superior to Warwick especially if you are planning on working in London, the starting salary for LSE graduates surely should be very tempting.

Quick Reply

Latest