The Student Room Group

WHITEWASHING is a HUGE PROBLEM

Bit of a rant about WHITEWASHING..

When I was growing up I used to love performing (acting, singing, and dancing)
Unfortunately, the best roles would always go to a “white” person. Most of the time, it wasn’t because they were that good, but it was because they “looked right” for that part.

All throughout my high school, I was never given a chance to take centre stage. NEVER would as ASIAN be allowed to be the leading man..

Of course, it doesn't just stop there, I see examples of whitewashing everywhere..
From the live adaptation of Deathnote, to Dr. Strange, to Ghosts in a shell.

These are films specifically written for a leading asian character... Why then are caucasians allowed to play them, when no asians will ever be allowed to replace caucasian roles?

I decided to give up on the acting industry a few years back because of all this prejudice and whitewashing. I’ve not looked back since!

SORRY FOR THE RANT GUYS, I had some steam to let off :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

The UK is a predominantly and more importantly ORIGINALLY a white country, it makes sense that tv would cater to the majority, and not to the whims of an offended minority. Move to india or china where all the actors are asian.

And b4 anyone calls me racist I am asian myself, I just empathise with brits who feel their core culture is changing, its how I would feel if that ever happened to my home country.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Names sell movies. Simple as that. Make a name for yourself, irregardless of race, and you'll be cast for big movies. Take Will Smith for example. Many of the roles he plays could easily be filled by a white guy instead. Some were even originally written for a white guy. But despite being black he gets them, because he's Will Smith, and that's a name that sells movies.

If you cba to do that then fine, go do whatever, but ranting online isn't going to help.
Yeah, I ****ing hate white walls, the rain just makes a mess of them.

Oh wait, that's not the topic, it's another delusional rant from some #firstworldproblem type that belongs in a sanitarium.
Your just assuming you outperformed the others though.... you may not have done.
Original post by crosssafley
The UK is a predominantly and more importantly ORIGINALLY a white country, it makes sense that tv would cater to the majority, and not to the whims of an offended minority. Move to india or china where all the actors are asian.

You seem pretty woke on this.
1, Clearly your not that good.

I'm glad that you have racism to blame, as for your own mental health is probably better to have an excuse then to actually have to realize that you were never good enough.

2, its normal that the majority population of a country is reflected in their movies, Asian people are a minority, and should be represented in a minority of roles. I do think they are under-represented at the moment though in the UK, compared to black individuals. Maybe its just my experience, but despite being a smaller segment of the population, I tend to see far more representation for black people, then south Asian people.
Reply 7

And b4 anyone calls me racist I am asian myself, I just empathise with brits who feel their core culture is changing, its how I would feel if that ever happened to my home country.

I love how this is the exact opinion I have myself, yet it's irritating hearing other people having the same opinion
OP I sympathize but unfortunately as crossafley said, that's just the way it is- it's nobody's fault really- you can't force people to be more accepting/like films, etc. with Asian leads, however unjustified it may seem
Original post by fallen_acorns
1, Clearly your not that good.

I'm glad that you have racism to blame, as for your own mental health is probably better to have an excuse then to actually have to realize that you were never good enough.

2, its normal that the majority population of a country is reflected in their movies, Asian people are a minority, and should be represented in a minority of roles. I do think they are under-represented at the moment though in the UK, compared to black individuals. Maybe its just my experience, but despite being a smaller segment of the population, I tend to see far more representation for black people, then south Asian people.

Okay maybe not "racism" but definitely some sort of prejudice. It probably didn't help that I went to a mostly caucasian school as well..

Haha, that's the typical response that most people give "maybe I wasn't that good"..

Maybe I was never that good, but let's not look at just me, there were asian performers who were actually THAT GOOD, and they never got the leading roles.
Whitewashing isn't just an issue in this country, it's also extremely prominent in the US.
I feel it's mainly the asian actors that get stereotypes and given those rubbish roles.

I value your opinion though.

I was actually born here, so was my father, and so despite looking asian I actually see myself as "white". all my friends are "white" etc...
I suppose why that is why I found this prejudice at school so hard to accept.
I do like living in the UK, and have since turned my back on the industry.

Thanks for your opinion.
Original post by Dheorl
Names sell movies. Simple as that. Make a name for yourself, irregardless of race, and you'll be cast for big movies. Take Will Smith for example. Many of the roles he plays could easily be filled by a white guy instead. Some were even originally written for a white guy. But despite being black he gets them, because he's Will Smith, and that's a name that sells movies.

If you cba to do that then fine, go do whatever, but ranting online isn't going to help.

You're absolutely right, ranting online doesn't help at all. But it was something I had to get off my chest.
It was nice to see what other people's views were on this issue, because it is an ISSUE.

Thanks
Original post by rigerang
I love how this is the exact opinion I have myself, yet it's irritating hearing other people having the same opinion
OP I sympathize but unfortunately as crossafley said, that's just the way it is- it's nobody's fault really- you can't force people to be more accepting/like films, etc. with Asian leads, however unjustified it may seem

Yes, thanks for your opinion. This is so true, it's nobody's fault really. You learn quickly that this world isn't fair. There are people out there starving and suffering in war torn countries, and our issues (specifically this one) are so small and first world.
Original post by Andrew97
Your just assuming you outperformed the others though.... you may not have done.

That's a good point. But I guess performing arts are subjective anyway aren't they? Talent itself is subjective.

In many cases, I knew I outperformed my competitors, as some of them could not even sing in tune. They were literally THAT bad. I'm not being ignorant and arrogant. I'm being observant, when I asked for feedback as to what I could do to improve, they would tell me "You were good, but you didn't LOOK right for the role."
Apparently it's the same for football I've heard that some coaches have told pakistanis/indians in the academy to play cricket instead how true that is I don't know but what I do know is that there a hell of a lot of good asian footballers if you go to your local pitch on a saturday or sunday you'll always see them there so I'm curious as to why they're under represented in football
Original post by PhysioStudent437
I loved performing as a child.
I loved acting, singing and dancing.

I believed that I could be an actor like the greats I saw on television and in the movies.
As I grew older, it become evident that because I was of "ASIAN" descent, I would NEVER get the leading roles.

My first experience of whitewashing was when I was 11 years old.
I auditioned for Robin Hood, and even though I out sang and out performed every single other "white" person auditioning for the role, I lost out...
All throughout my high school, I was never given a chance to take centre stage. NEVER would as ASIAN be allowed to be the leading man..
Again, despite out-performing the caucasian cohort, I was also subjected to prejudice and thrown to one side to be a supporting character.

After joining an acting agency, the casting calls I got were all for "ASIAN MAN working in chinese take-away" or some bullsh*t lame stereotyped role...

Of course, it doesn't just stop there, I see examples of whitewashing everywhere..

These are films specifically written for a leading asian character. Why then are caucasians allowed to play them, when no asians will ever be allowed to replace caucasian roles?

I finally left the film industry for good, deciding that I would never make a mark in show business because it was far too racist and prejudice.

My talents would be better used as a songwriter, a YouTuber and Vlogger.

Well, first of all, Robin Hood was a WHITE noble turned outlaw, not an Asian. Just because BBC's Merlin series 'blackwashed' Guinevere as a black woman doesn't mean theatre productions should

Secondly, It's the responsibility of Asians to up their acting game and raise their prestige if they want more roles, not of film producers and casting agents to do what's most politically correct. I do think it was a shame that they didn't cast someone like Ken Watanabe in Doctor Strange but I like Tilda Swinton so whatever. As for Ghost in the Shell, Kusanagi was always illustrated as being racially ambiguous which makes sense when you consider the fact that her body is completely artificial. For all we know, she could actually be a gay black man under there XD
I really value all your opinions guys.

But BEFORE, you all give me the "YOU CLEARLY WEREN'T GOOD ENOUGH" typical assumption...

I just want to say that I managed to get into a respectable performing agency, which you had to audition for and it was quite competitive.
I may not have won any OSCARS, but I could definitely perform on stage or in front of the camera.

When I got into that agency, all the auditions and roles that I had were stereotyped to "Asian kid working in take-away store" etc...
The one audition I had for a decent role was a character on BBC's waterloo road. It came down to me and this 21 year old guy, to play a 16 year old asian character on the show. Unfortunately, I just missed out on the role because he was BETTER than me on the day, but it was a good experience nonetheless.
The character I was going to play was still stereotyped to a degree, but I guess that's what I expected tbh.

I still enjoy singing, writing music, and making films nowadays. I definitely did enjoy acting and performing, but I'm happy now that I've also found other things I love like Sport (Powerlifting, Gymnastics, Kickboxing)

I've also found my true calling in life - to be a Physiotherapist and help other people.

So I guess things worked out for the best, and I see that now :biggrin:

Hallelujah!

Whitewashing is still an issue in the film industry, but it's not my issue anymore haha
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by PhilanderingBum
Well, first of all, Robin Hood was a WHITE noble turned outlaw, not an Asian. Just because BBC's Merlin series 'blackwashed' Guinevere as a black woman doesn't mean theatre productions should

Secondly, It's the responsibility of Asians to up their acting game and raise their prestige if they want more roles, not of film producers and casting agents to do what's most politically correct. I do think it was a shame that they didn't cast someone like Ken Watanabe in Doctor Strange but I like Tilda Swinton so whatever. As for Ghost in the Shell, Kusanagi was always illustrated as being racially ambiguous which makes sense when you consider the fact that her body is completely artificial. For all we know, she could actually be a gay black man under there XD

Yes, that is so true. Hood was white. But this was a primary school production, what would have been wrong with letting an asian play the lead role?
I guess I was the only asian in my year, which made matters more difficult haha.
I actually really liked Merlin and all the casting haha.

That is also true, I wish they had casted Ken Watanabe in Doctor Strange.
Reply 17
Instead of assuming everybody is racist because you're Asian mightnit worth be considering that you're just not very good?
you don't see anyone complaining about "asian washing" in the fields you guys dominate like food and electronics :cyber: and I know you're not crying with all this kpop **** rising
Original post by PhysioStudent437
I loved performing as a child.
I loved acting, singing and dancing.

I believed that I could be an actor like the greats I saw on television and in the movies.
As I grew older, it become evident that because I was of "ASIAN" descent, I would NEVER get the leading roles.

My first experience of whitewashing was when I was 11 years old.
I auditioned for Robin Hood, and even though I out sang and out performed every single other "white" person auditioning for the role, I lost out...
Again, despite out-performing the caucasian cohort, I was also subjected to prejudice and thrown to one side to be a supporting character.

After joining an acting agency, the casting calls I got were all for "ASIAN MAN working in chinese take-away" or some bullsh*t lame stereotyped role...

These are films specifically written for a leading asian character. Why then are caucasians allowed to play them, when no asians will ever be allowed to replace caucasian roles?

I finally left the film industry for good, deciding that I would never make a mark in show business because it was far too racist and prejudice.

My talents would be better used as a songwriter, a YouTuber and Vlogger.

Hollywood is only interested in making money.
there are more opportunities and more diverse casting these days. If you are good enough and determined you will make it.

I hardly think Deathnote, ghost in the shell and Dr strange are going to make much difference. Asian and Bollywood cinema arent that great for caucasian prospects.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending