The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Struggling to decide

(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by thebossman313
Good evening ladies and gents

I'm thinking of firming Sheffield for Medicine, however i've just got a few questions that i would love to have answered before i make a decision:

1) Which accomodation is best for me?

My preference would be ensuite, self-catered - the normal answer from my research would be Endcliffe however i'm not sure if it's right for me, whilst i don't mind living in a busy place, i'm personally not keen on partying/clubbing and i don't drink alcohol

i would also like it to be as close to everything as possible in order to minimise walking distances.

2) How good & close are the sports/societies?
I'm keen on various sports and so this would be a big factor for me aswell.
Are there any sort of competitions between Universities and within the university?

3) How close is the nearest gym to the accommodation?

4) How diverse is the university?
I appreciate it shouldn't matte who you're with but at the same time it'd be really nice having peers who are from the same background as me, (i.e south asian)

Lastly, As previously mentioned, i'm not keen on partying etc. and I understand sheffield is quite popular for it's nightlife.
Do you think me not drinking would have any affect on my experience here (i wold be potentially here for 6 years), or would i be better of going for the other uni's i have received an offer for (Nottingham/Barts)?

Thanks guys i really appreciate the time

1) If you want to be relatively close to everything and have an en-suite I would say pick Allen Court, it's pretty much on par with encliffe when it comes to accommodation with a few minor differences. As for the partying and clubbing well no real way of avoiding that depending on what type of flat you go into.

2) We have a massive range of sport societies and around this time every year we have varsity matches against Sheffield Hallam University. We also have a dedicated sports area with a gym, swimming pool, football field etc you name it Goodwin normally has it or somewhere near does.

3) If you pick Allen Court you'll be about 5-10 Minutes from the closest gym, Endcliffe or ranmoor you're looking at about 10-15 minutes.

4) University of Sheffield prides itself for being one of the most popular universities when it comes to diversity, having being here for two years now I can safely agree with it and say you'll easily find people from the same background as you either on your course or you can join one of the societies for your country or region as well.

Hopefully this helps!
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Original post by XenChaotik
1)
3) If you pick Allen Court you'll be about 5-10 Minutes from the closest gym, Endcliffe or ranmoor you're looking at about 10-15 minutes.

Hello i'm just wondering if you know if Allen Court features a gym on site? I've looked at the accommodation in the past and it appears that there is a gym there but i'm not sure.
Yeah it has a gym, I don’t think it’s anything special though cause people I know still end up going to either Goodwin center or a private gym.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending