dietcocaine
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I submitted an essay on Friday and it got an unusually high percentage on turnitin for me (35%). Of course, I reviewed the actual essay (3000 words) and I realised a large chunk was my bibliography and the standard essay submission template (which made up the large 14% chunk in my similarity report). I then read the actual text and found there were hardly any highlighted pieces of text in the first half and a number cropped up in the second half. After reading through all the highlighted pieces of text, almost all of them are clearly quoted pieces of text, all of which i have referenced clearly in text. All other sources of similarity are also between 1-2% each. No problem.

My concern is that in the penultimate paragraph, I begin with “Elbe (2005) critically discusses...)” and then I spend 4 or 5 lines talking about his discussion. However, I was rushing towards the end and more or less copied this bit out of my notes, so the way i describe his ideas is more or less identical to the way he described them on his original paper. REALLY sloppy of me, I know, especially as a third year, but believe me I’ve learnt my lesson.

I’m freaking out as I get reaaaallly anxious about these things!! Is this plagiarism and am I likely to be pulled up for this? I know what the repercussions are for plagiarism and it’s killing me to think they’d happen to me as I really can’t afford it.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Jin3011
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
Seriously, don't worry about it. This happened for all my university essays through TurnItIn. As long as there are not large chunks of text copied and pasted into your essay and you have referenced your sources appropriately then there is nothing to worry about.

Best wishes.
dietcocaine
Rep:
bump 👀
ts15591
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by dietcocaine)
bump 👀
I have had a pretty much identical scare in my own dissertation.. Was summarising a source's study and did it in a fairly similar way to how they did it. Turnitin only flagged a part of a sentence/phrasing though but still the fact that it has flagged means it will almost definitely been checked (am s******* it).

Did you paraphrase at all or literally copy what the source said? Has your university contacted you?
WilliamLucasXV
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Turnitin is just a guide.

If you know that you are not stealing someone elses work and that something is just coincidentally similar then you’re fine.

Also if you use someone elses work and you refference it properly then you haven’t stolen their content as you have given them the appropriate recognition.

But, if you did just copy something out word for word or near to it then this could be considered stealing. If in doubt, I would come clean to your supervisor, say it was a mistake and ask to either amend it or see what they recommend.
dietcocaine
Rep:
(Original post by ts15591)
I have had a pretty much identical scare in my own dissertation.. Was summarising a source's study and did it in a fairly similar way to how they did it. Turnitin only flagged a part of a sentence/phrasing though but still the fact that it has flagged means it will almost definitely been checked (am s******* it).

Did you paraphrase at all or literally copy what the source said? Has your university contacted you?
Hi! Thank you for the reply, I actually got in contact with the lecturer i had submitted the work to and he never replied...but I got my work back several weeks later and it seems I wasn’t punished for it at all. My university didn’t contact me either. I had actually emailed the student support officer about it because i was panicking so badly and she even checked it over to tell me not to worry. I think it’s only really an issue if there are multiple segments of your work which are flagged up word for word. I had used a few sentences summarising someone’s studies that were almost word for word and turnitin flagged it all up, but the rest of the paper looked reasonable and normal so professors and unis are definitely aware of this! I genuinely wish you the best of luck with your dissertation. We overthink these things when they happen but now looking back, I realise i got super stressed over something that was totally fine
dietcocaine
Rep:
(Original post by Jin3011)
Seriously, don't worry about it. This happened for all my university essays through TurnItIn. As long as there are not large chunks of text copied and pasted into your essay and you have referenced your sources appropriately then there is nothing to worry about.

Best wishes.
This is very late, but thank you for your reply. It brought some comfort to me at the time, I was just really withdrawn and stressed over it. I hope you’re well!
dietcocaine
Rep:
(Original post by WilliamLucasXV)
Turnitin is just a guide.

If you know that you are not stealing someone elses work and that something is just coincidentally similar then you’re fine.

Also if you use someone elses work and you refference it properly then you haven’t stolen their content as you have given them the appropriate recognition.

But, if you did just copy something out word for word or near to it then this could be considered stealing. If in doubt, I would come clean to your supervisor, say it was a mistake and ask to either amend it or see what they recommend.
Thank you for your advice, I actually did get in contact with someone at university to see what they recommend and it seems I had worried over nothing. I appreciate the advice, and everything you’ve said is very true! These things just seem a lot of more scary when they happen to you
uniquely M
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Honestly, I am empathetic as to how you felt at the time. I have always thought that I never have to fret when turning assignments in, but mehn! my subconscious pricks me everytime, even when I am confident about not plagiarising. Once my score has shown 25% and it felt like I was already in hell. (lol). To wrap up, the turnitin app is one pretty ,mysterious thing. I see it as a tool to respect.
CompSciEnth
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by dietcocaine)
I submitted an essay on Friday and it got an unusually high percentage on turnitin for me (35%). Of course, I reviewed the actual essay (3000 words) and I realised a large chunk was my bibliography and the standard essay submission template (which made up the large 14% chunk in my similarity report). I then read the actual text and found there were hardly any highlighted pieces of text in the first half and a number cropped up in the second half. After reading through all the highlighted pieces of text, almost all of them are clearly quoted pieces of text, all of which i have referenced clearly in text. All other sources of similarity are also between 1-2% each. No problem.

My concern is that in the penultimate paragraph, I begin with “Elbe (2005) critically discusses...)” and then I spend 4 or 5 lines talking about his discussion. However, I was rushing towards the end and more or less copied this bit out of my notes, so the way i describe his ideas is more or less identical to the way he described them on his original paper. REALLY sloppy of me, I know, especially as a third year, but believe me I’ve learnt my lesson.

I’m freaking out as I get reaaaallly anxious about these things!! Is this plagiarism and am I likely to be pulled up for this? I know what the repercussions are for plagiarism and it’s killing me to think they’d happen to me as I really can’t afford it.

Any thoughts appreciated.
I'm in a bit of a similar situation, what ended up happening?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you find most difficult about revising?

Prioritising what to revise (24)
10.21%
Remembering what was covered in lessons (7)
2.98%
Finding the time to revise (15)
6.38%
Finding the motivation (65)
27.66%
Getting distracted (43)
18.3%
Procrastination (79)
33.62%
Having the tools you need (1)
0.43%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.43%

Watched Threads