The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

King's (digital culture) VS. Loughborough (media and communications)

I have been debating between which of these two unis to choose as my firm for a while now and really can't decide which one to go for :/ I've thoroughly researched each uni and course but still have no idea and am quite worried as I need to make my decision soon. I am interested in pursuing a career in the media industry and as far as I'm concerned these 2 are the highest ranked unis. I also have offers from Leeds, Surrey, and Kent (which have a slightly different course)

King's

Pros - the heart of London, prestigious, well recognized by many firms (easier to get a job?), amazing nightlife

Cons - 3-year course, no work placement (apart from a semester), city-based uni

Loughborough

Pros - campus-based, safe environment, easier to make friends/meet new students, 4-year course with one-year work placement, range of societies

Cons - BSc instead of BA, slightly far from London

--
Both courses are media based however can fall into the scientific category slightly which is a con for both

Any advice/help would be appreciated )
Original post by lemoncow
I have been debating between which of these two unis to choose as my firm for a while now and really can't decide which one to go for :/ I've thoroughly researched each uni and course but still have no idea and am quite worried as I need to make my decision soon. I am interested in pursuing a career in the media industry and as far as I'm concerned these 2 are the highest ranked unis. I also have offers from Leeds, Surrey, and Kent (which have a slightly different course)

King's

Pros - the heart of London, prestigious, well recognized by many firms (easier to get a job?), amazing nightlife

Loughborough

Pros - campus-based, safe environment, easier to make friends/meet new students, 4-year course with one-year work placement, range of societies

--
Both courses are media based however can fall into the scientific category slightly which is a con for both

Hi lemoncow

Tough choice! Your list of pros and cons is spot on. (Cost of living at Kings might well be higher than Loughborough but guess you've already factored that in)

All it's down to is which pros could you live without?
If you absolutely are drawn to the way of life in London - then Loughborough isn't for you. There is tonnes going on here, but it isn't the heart of London and never will be.

I'm not sure what difference it would make to an employer whether you have a BA or BSc to be honest - most look at the level you've attained, but this might be worth looking in to.

You still have a fair bit of time to make a decision so you don't need to rush yet, also look at where you think you'll be happier - you're looking at 3/4 years of your life so it may as well be somewhere where you can see yourself living.

Good luck with your decision :smile:
Vicky
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Original post by lemoncow

King's

Loughborough

--

Hi, which one did you finally choose and how has your experience been so far? Thanks

Quick Reply