The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

how is it probable that my wife can get a simple job here

My wife has a TOEFL score of about 50 and speaking score of 14. how much is it probable(what is the probability) that she can get a full-time job like in supermarkets or so. This is so crucial as I'm comparing LSE with one of US universities.

More Detail:
so my question is not academic. I'm Comparing doing PhD at LSE and one US university.

My problem is about cost of living in 5 years of doing PhD and it is really crucial for me because of personal reasons(you obviously may say that cost of living for PhD should not be important for people).

London is expensive but there is an important thing to consider: in London my wife is allowed to work full time but not in US(due to laws). if she can work full-time, in someplace like Walmart in London then we can have at least 13k+ and that's great . If that can be done then I can have both the lovely london experience and also have more net income.
(edited 6 years ago)
13 k won't be enough
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by invisibleswords
13 k won't be enough

I've my own funding as well.
But my question is about how much is it probable that my wife can get a job
Reply 3
Where you from?
Original post by andrei_apolos
My wife has a TOEFL score of about 50 and speaking score of 14. how much is it probable(what is the probability) that she can get a full-time job like in supermarkets or so. This is so crucial as I'm comparing LSE with one of US universities.

More Detail:
so my question is not academic. I'm Comparing doing PhD at LSE and one US university.

My problem is about cost of living in 5 years of doing PhD and it is really crucial for me because of personal reasons(you obviously may say that cost of living for PhD should not be important for people).

London is expensive but there is an important thing to consider: in London my wife is allowed to work full time but not in US(due to laws). if she can work full-time, in someplace like Walmart in London then we can have at least 13k+ and that's great . If that can be done then I can have both the lovely london experience and also have more net income.

She will have no problem getting a job in London. I am a nurse in West London - we have a huge huge number of foreign patients who don't even speak English yet still work.

Obviously you understand she will probably be working in the service industry on minimum wage. London is expensive though - rents are horrendous and travel is expensive - but at the same time, it is one of the best cities in the world
Original post by squeakysquirrel
She will have no problem getting a job in London. I am a nurse in West London - we have a huge huge number of foreign patients who don't even speak English yet still work.

Obviously you understand she will probably be working in the service industry on minimum wage. London is expensive though - rents are horrendous and travel is expensive - but at the same time, it is one of the best cities in the world

Thanks. my funding is about 20k. and if she works then she earns 13k. even if we spend 20k then 13k will be saved each year which is huge. I can have the money and the London experience.

all of this is dependent upon the probability of her getting a job. if I know the probability is maybe 50% that she get a job then it may not be much worth for us being here.
Original post by andrei_apolos
Thanks. my funding is about 20k. and if she works then she earns 13k. even if we spend 20k then 13k will be saved each year which is huge. I can have the money and the London experience.

all of this is dependent upon the probability of her getting a job. if I know the probability is maybe 50% that she get a job then it may not be much worth for us being here.

No - as long as she has the right to be in the country she will 100% get a job. London is desperately short of service workers.
Original post by squeakysquirrel
No - as long as she has the right to be in the country she will 100% get a job. London is desperately short of service workers.

Thanks. I hope so
Original post by Heyok
Where you from?

I'm from Brazil

Quick Reply

Latest