The Student Room Group

Subject choice for A levels

Is sociology and law a subject that can be self studied? Can good grades be achieved. My career counsellor discouraged me to take these subjects, saying that getting good grades even by the smartest students are difficult. The highest grade achieved was a B. I'm interested and hardworking, should I think about taking it?
Original post by Maliha Omar
Is sociology and law a subject that can be self studied? Can good grades be achieved. My career counsellor discouraged me to take these subjects, saying that getting good grades even by the smartest students are difficult. The highest grade achieved was a B. I'm interested and hardworking, should I think about taking it?

Take whatever subjects you want to take.
If you work hard, you can get good grades.
And people do get A's, so the bit about no one getting higher than a B is bull****.

Hey! I think that what is most important when choosing your subjects is passion. If you're passionate about taking them, go for it! From what you've said, it sounds like you have the potential to do well. There's nothing stopping you from getting an A!

When I was choosing my A-levels, I shocked a lot of my teachers and friends by choosing subjects that I was good at, but not the strongest at. I decided to follow what interested me instead. It's the best decision I've ever made!
Reply 3
Original post by Pamplemousse19
Hey! I think that what is most important when choosing your subjects is passion. If you're passionate about taking them, go for it! From what you've said, it sounds like you have the potential to do well. There's nothing stopping you from getting an A!

When I was choosing my A-levels, I shocked a lot of my teachers and friends by choosing subjects that I was good at, but not the strongest at. I decided to follow what interested me instead. It's the best decision I've ever made!

Thank you so much! People are being so discouraging, and it's a decision that could potentially turn my life around.
Reply 4
Original post by Emma:-)
Take whatever subjects you want to take.
If you work hard, you can get good grades.
And people do get A's, so the bit about no one getting higher than a B is bull****.

Thank you so much!
Thank you so much! People are being so discouraging, and it's a decision that could potentially turn my life around.

Definitely! Just follow what you are passionate about, which will undoubtedly lead you to do something that you enjoy!

Quick Reply

Latest