Cas22
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Maybe someone familiar with Scottish qualifications can explain the entry requirements for medical school. Apart from widening participation schemes the standard offer for A levels is AAA or higher for medicine. But I'm confused about the equivalent Scottish qualifications.

In particular is it possible to enter medical school at 17 after just 1 year in 6th form? Also are the requirements for particular subjects (usually chemistry and/or biology) the same? Medical schools in Scotland and the rest of the UK are open to students with either sets of qualifications. If Scotish students do poorly at 17 are they allowed to resit?
K8e.H
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So, basically, in Scotland we do three sets of exams. National 5’s are equivalent to GCSE’s and are sat in S4 (year 11). The average number of National 5’s is seven, although some school’s offer six or eight. We do not have A* in Scotland. We don’t do number grades either - just A,B,C,D, no award.

Instead of A* we have A band 1 and A band 2. This information does not appear on your certificate but if you ask your teacher they are sent the breakdown. The universities aren’t made aware of A banding. Usually, the A boundary is between 70 and 75%. The A band 1 is around 85%. No universities in Scotland ask for banding, however very competitive universities such as Cambridge ask for banding and often set offers at A band 1.
Because the information isn’t disclosed on the UCAS form, universities cannot set Scottish requirements higher than an A.

I am in S5 atm, and I will sit the second set of Scottish exams in may. These are called highers. For medicine, usually people do maths, english and three sciences. Most univerisities ask for five A’s, while some have a minimum requirement of AAAAB. But, you pretty much need five A’s to get in. As far as I’m aware, most universities do not allow resits.

When we apply, we will know our results so they are in the entry requirements for Scottish students. But this doesn’t mean that we don’t have to do other exams.

We can do a mixture of highers and advanced highers in S6 (year 13). Most offers will ask for three advanced highers, including chemistry and sometimes biology. If you do a mixture of highers and advanced highers the offer will reflect what subject levels you have taken, eg. For 2 AH’s and 2 H’s the offer is probs AABB. The average offer is probably ABB for AH’s. Advanced highers are around the level of the first year of university. In Scotland we are younger when we go to school, so if I get into medicine I will start medical school at 17. Most Scottish students won’t be 18 when they start university.

I hope I have explained it okay, but if you still have any questions feel free to ask
A12345F
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
[QUOTE=K8e.H;76659966]So, basically, in Scotland we do three sets of exams. National 5’s are equivalent to GCSE’s and are sat in S4 (year 11). The average number of National 5’s is seven, although some school’s offer six or eight. We do not have A* in Scotland. We don’t do number grades either - just A,B,C,D, no award.

Instead of A* we have A band 1 and A band 2. This information does not appear on your certificate but if you ask your teacher they are sent the breakdown. The universities aren’t made aware of A banding. Usually, the A boundary is between 70 and 75%. The A band 1 is around 85%. No universities in Scotland ask for banding, however very competitive universities such as Cambridge ask for banding and often set offers at A band 1.
Because the information isn’t disclosed on the UCAS form, universities cannot set Scottish requirements higher than an A.

I am in S5 atm, and I will sit the second set of Scottish exams in may. These are called highers. For medicine, usually people do maths, english and three sciences. Most univerisities ask for five A’s, while some have a minimum requirement of AAAAB. But, you pretty much need five A’s to get in. As far as I’m aware, most universities do not allow resits.

When we apply, we will know our results so they are in the entry requirements for Scottish students. But this doesn’t mean that we don’t have to do other exams.

We can do a mixture of highers and advanced highers in S6 (year 13). Most offers will ask for three advanced highers, including chemistry and sometimes biology. If you do a mixture of highers and advanced highers the offer will reflect what subject levels you have taken, eg. For 2 AH’s and 2 H’s the offer is probs AABB. The average offer is probably ABB for AH’s. Advanced highers are around the level of the first year of university. In Scotland we are younger when we go to school, so if I get into medicine I will start medical school at 17. Most Scottish students won’t be 18 when they start university.

I hope I have explained it okay, but if you still have any questions feel free to ask.
Hello
Thank you for all info.just wondering do u have any idea how many subjects do st ninians,william wood,wood farm high schools offer in S4?
We are planning to move in glasgow n if we move there then I’ll be in S4 .
How SQA of S4 is important at the time of universities adm?
Mohd shafi
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My son scored AAA in chemistry Biology and Maths but BB in English and History..can we go for recheck in History and English as ass his prelims and previous records show All 5 As.He wants to join Medicine..does Advanced Higher with AAA in Maths Chemistry and Biology help him to get into medical school....confused 😣😣
Mohd shafi
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My son scored AAA in chemistry Biology and Maths but BB in English and History..can we go for recheck in History and English as ass his prelims and previous records show All 5 As.He wants to join Medicine..does Advanced Higher with AAA in Maths Chemistry and Biology help him to get into medical school....confused 😣😣
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Mohd shafi)
:wavey:

Well done to your son- that is a great set of results!

In terms of marking reviews, his previous performance would not be taken into consideration in these, as it is basically a senior marker re-marking the paper to ensure it has been marked in line with the national standard first time around. Most of the time, the grade comes back unchanged though, and it's not usually worth it if you are lots of marks away from the grade boundary (i.e. if he got one mark off an A, it's more likely to be worth it than if he was 6 marks off an A).

For advanced highers, yes, those grades would of course help, though they are higher than the grades Scottish unis require at AH. But, with AAABB at higher, for (I suspect) all unis, he will fall of the list at the first hurdle. Whether it's possible to get in with those AHs once he has received his grades (i.e. if he were to take a gap year and then apply with all his grades) is one I think you would be best contacting the universities about.

If he is doing a widening access programme, there are sometimes reduced entry requirements though.

Hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (23)
6.41%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (207)
57.66%
No (129)
35.93%

Watched Threads